General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

CVT on Maxima or G35 Why Not??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 06:19 PM

CVT on Maxima or G35 Why Not??

I was thinking...
the Nissan Murano has the 3.5 liter VQ engine
the same 245 hp and 246 lbs-ft of torque as the Altima
but comes with a far superior CVT system over the 4 speed auto.

So I was wondering, why not use that CVT on the Infiniti G35 or Nissan Maxima??

And before you say, "those both have more power and the CVT isn't designed to handle the extra power."
Well, you are probably right, but I have got to say, the Infiniti G35 sedan with 245 hp and 246 lbs-ft of torque with the CVT would most likely easily whip up on the Infiniti G35 sedan with 260 hp and 260 lbs-ft of torque with the current 5 speed auto!

I love driving a manual, except, I live in Los Angeles, where more often than not, the manual becomes a pain and can't really be used to it's potential in 90% of driving around here anyway.

So, if I had a choice, I'd far choose to get a CVT in the Infiniti G35 (or even the new Maxima if I liked it) with the power ratings of the Altima, than the 5 speed auto with the current power ratings! Am I alone here?

Here's what I think Nissan/Infinti should do:

Offer both the G35 sedan and the Nissan Maxima with the Murano's CVT transmission with the engines slightly detuned to the 245 hp / 246 Tq ratings.
Keep the 6 speed manuals with the current ratings.

Then drop the 4 speed auto they currently use in the Altima and Maxima SL and put the 5 speed auto from the 04 Maxima SE into those two cars.

What that would do in a sense is make the auto versions all CVT's and it will give them performance that would most likely be within two tenths of a second from the manual versions.
It would also make the "greenies" happy since CVT's get better gas mileage as well.

Heck, Car and Driver got a Murano SL AWD to hit 60 in 7.5 seconds.
The nearly 200 pound lighter FWD version would most likely do it in 7.2-7.3 seconds.
As it is, that's not far behind the Altima SE with auto. And the Altima weighs 600+ pounds less and is more aerodynamic.

Anyway, I know it'll most likely never happen, because they're not going to tune the CVT and manual versions differently. Or will they? They did it with the Pathfinder manual and auto with the 3.5 liter.

Hmmm

A G35 sedan with CVT that would run a 0-60 in a hair under 6.0 seconds and pull 14.3's at 99+ mph in the 1/4 would be nice!
Old 08-17-2003, 06:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Whats CVT?
Old 08-17-2003, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by SonicDust187
Whats CVT?
C.ontinuously V.ariable T.ransmission
Old 08-17-2003, 10:48 PM
syc

on a G35? Yes.
on a Maxima? Maybe
on an Altima V6? No, not right now, cost is kinda high to have a CVT for a 250 hp engine in an Altima price range

but really, CVT has already been working for all the high power nissan car such as Cedric, Gloria, and now the SKYLINE GT-8 (similar to G35, i guess)

The japanese always have things we can't have

CVT isn't magic, the gas consumption and power output are not that great, YET.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:43 AM
WANNA RUN IT?

Originally posted by syc
on a G35? Yes.
on a Maxima? Maybe
on an Altima V6? No, not right now, cost is kinda high to have a CVT for a 250 hp engine in an Altima price range

but really, CVT has already been working for all the high power nissan car such as Cedric, Gloria, and now the SKYLINE GT-8 (similar to G35, i guess)

245 in the murano is the most power the cvt transmission has seen...the cvt transmission has been used for 10yrs in europe and japan and is currently in over 1 million cars...but the 245 in the murano is the most power its had hooked up to it
Old 08-18-2003, 05:47 AM
WANNA RUN IT?

Re: CVT on Maxima or G35 Why Not??

Originally posted by Driver72
I was thinking...
the Nissan Murano has the 3.5 liter VQ engine
the same 245 hp and 246 lbs-ft of torque as the Altima
but comes with a far superior CVT system over the 4 speed auto.

So I was wondering, why not use that CVT on the Infiniti G35 or Nissan Maxima??

And before you say, "those both have more power and the CVT isn't designed to handle the extra power."
Well, you are probably right, but I have got to say, the Infiniti G35 sedan with 245 hp and 246 lbs-ft of torque with the CVT would most likely easily whip up on the Infiniti G35 sedan with 260 hp and 260 lbs-ft of torque with the current 5 speed auto!

I love driving a manual, except, I live in Los Angeles, where more often than not, the manual becomes a pain and can't really be used to it's potential in 90% of driving around here anyway.

So, if I had a choice, I'd far choose to get a CVT in the Infiniti G35 (or even the new Maxima if I liked it) with the power ratings of the Altima, than the 5 speed auto with the current power ratings! Am I alone here?

Here's what I think Nissan/Infinti should do:

Offer both the G35 sedan and the Nissan Maxima with the Murano's CVT transmission with the engines slightly detuned to the 245 hp / 246 Tq ratings.
Keep the 6 speed manuals with the current ratings.

Then drop the 4 speed auto they currently use in the Altima and Maxima SL and put the 5 speed auto from the 04 Maxima SE into those two cars.

What that would do in a sense is make the auto versions all CVT's and it will give them performance that would most likely be within two tenths of a second from the manual versions.
It would also make the "greenies" happy since CVT's get better gas mileage as well.

Heck, Car and Driver got a Murano SL AWD to hit 60 in 7.5 seconds.
The nearly 200 pound lighter FWD version would most likely do it in 7.2-7.3 seconds.
As it is, that's not far behind the Altima SE with auto. And the Altima weighs 600+ pounds less and is more aerodynamic.

Anyway, I know it'll most likely never happen, because they're not going to tune the CVT and manual versions differently. Or will they? They did it with the Pathfinder manual and auto with the 3.5 liter.

Hmmm

A G35 sedan with CVT that would run a 0-60 in a hair under 6.0 seconds and pull 14.3's at 99+ mph in the 1/4 would be nice!
i dont know why you would want that transmission in the cars....have you driven a murano?
when you give it gas it wont give all of it to the motor right away...it retards the power to keep from hurting the transmission....it is so slugish off the line its rediculous.....once you get to highway speeds its a diferant story.....
think about what you ask for....on a maxima it would be a huge mistake.....on a 4cyl alti now that would be a differant story
Old 08-18-2003, 06:17 AM
VQ Wizard

I think a CVT would be cool to have in a Maxima and should handle it better than in the heavier Murano. Keep in mind that it's even setup to haul 3000 pounds in that vehicle. The off the line sluggishness may be due to a higher starting drive than you're used to. And don't forget that the Murano weighs 3800 pounds. Just give it time and it will probably come.
But the bigger thing to do would be to use the Murano AWD system in the Maxima, more so than the CVT.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:19 AM

i thought the CVT saves gas

doesn't the murano get better gas mileage than most SUVs in it's class?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:40 AM

Re: Re: CVT on Maxima or G35 Why Not??

Originally posted by tonylittell

i dont know why you would want that transmission in the cars....have you driven a murano?
when you give it gas it wont give all of it to the motor right away...it retards the power to keep from hurting the transmission....it is so slugish off the line its rediculous.....once you get to highway speeds its a diferant story.....
think about what you ask for....on a maxima it would be a huge mistake.....on a 4cyl alti now that would be a differant story

No, actually I haven't driven a Murano yet.
That's strange that it would be "sluggish" off the line. Maybe you drove one with the traction control on.
If you floor a FWD only model, it should spin the front tires a bit.
A CVT is suppose to maximize acceleration and with virtually unlimited gear ratios within it's operating range, when you floor it, you should get max power with max accelerating gear ratio.
The tach should zip right up to the power max and hold there until you lift off the throttle.

I drove the Audi A4 CVT when it came out and at the time was the most powerful auto in the US to have a CVT (now it's the Murano) and it was GREAT. It snapped that heavy, 20-30 hp underpowered car up to speed pretty well. Much quicker than the 5 speed auto.

Anyway, I'm looking to get an SUV that has some decent cargo capacity for me to carry my camera gear, yet is pretty peppy, handles decent, looks good, and gets decent gas mileage.
Surprisingly, the Murano was much better than the FX35 (which is smaller inside, has a horrible entry and exit into the vehicle, has a tiny entrance for the backseat passenger, has a steering wheel that's too horizontal (like a semi) and I just couldn't get as comfortable in it's seats.
The only drawback to the Murano over the FX35 is the drive wheels. If the Murano was available in RWD only, it would be perfect.

I do have to drive it though, maybe today.

Oh, and on another note, I know a CVT isn't "magic" when it comes to gas mileage and performance, but it is pretty special in that regard.
It's a step up (big one) over a conventional automatic, but a step down from a F1 style automanual when it comes to driving fun without a clutch.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:55 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by syc
on a G35? Yes.
on a Maxima? Maybe

CVT's can easily take more power than any standard manual or automatic transmission. They are also lighter and cheaper to produce (the actual units themselves). It's the transmission management computer/sensors that add all the expensive components to the price. Therefore, a CVT could be offered in the Altima for minimal price increase over the automatic tranny.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:18 PM
WANNA RUN IT?

Re: Re: Re: CVT on Maxima or G35 Why Not??

Originally posted by Driver72

No, actually I haven't driven a Murano yet.
That's strange that it would be "sluggish" off the line. Maybe you drove one with the traction control on.
If you floor a FWD only model, it should spin the front tires a bit.
A CVT is suppose to maximize acceleration and with virtually unlimited gear ratios within it's operating range, when you floor it, you should get max power with max accelerating gear ratio.
The tach should zip right up to the power max and hold there until you lift off the throttle.

I drove the Audi A4 CVT when it came out and at the time was the most powerful auto in the US to have a CVT (now it's the Murano) and it was GREAT. It snapped that heavy, 20-30 hp underpowered car up to speed pretty well. Much quicker than the 5 speed auto.

Anyway, I'm looking to get an SUV that has some decent cargo capacity for me to carry my camera gear, yet is pretty peppy, handles decent, looks good, and gets decent gas mileage.
Surprisingly, the Murano was much better than the FX35 (which is smaller inside, has a horrible entry and exit into the vehicle, has a tiny entrance for the backseat passenger, has a steering wheel that's too horizontal (like a semi) and I just couldn't get as comfortable in it's seats.
The only drawback to the Murano over the FX35 is the drive wheels. If the Murano was available in RWD only, it would be perfect.

I do have to drive it though, maybe today.

Oh, and on another note, I know a CVT isn't "magic" when it comes to gas mileage and performance, but it is pretty special in that regard.
It's a step up (big one) over a conventional automatic, but a step down from a F1 style automanual when it comes to driving fun without a clutch.
dood ive driven all the muranos ...i sell them..im the truck manager at my dealership..and it doesnt matter which one you drive w or wout tcontrol 2wd or awd....its slow off the line...youll see when you drive it......now from a 20mph roll its another story...it hauls *****.....
Old 08-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Kevlo for President

CVT is faster and saves gas, only downside is how much power it can handle. the VQ30DET with 280hp has CVT. it is in the gloria/cedric(M45) and in a v6 CIMA(Q45)
Old 08-19-2003, 02:23 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by kevlo911
CVT is faster and saves gas, only downside is how much power it can handle. the VQ30DET with 280hp has CVT. it is in the gloria/cedric(M45) and in a v6 CIMA(Q45)
Every single transmission in the world is built with a TQ/HP maximum rating, including the CVTs. There are CVTs that will handle high HP ratings out there, and Nissan actually makes some of them. They just need to be using them a bit more often, IMHO.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by SonicDust187
Whats CVT?

A$$!
Old 08-19-2003, 03:39 PM
WANNA RUN IT?

im not sure where you got your info from but the 240 that you get in the murano is the MOST HP the cvt has ever had
Old 08-19-2003, 03:42 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I haven't actually driven a Murano, or any car with a CVT for that matter, but the reviews have said that the CVT seems to zap away a lot of the VQ's soul and kills the fun factor.

I dunno...I like my gears.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:46 PM
ivelweyz

Don't CVTs have only 1 gear???

Old 08-19-2003, 08:41 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Actually, they have no gears, per se...
Old 08-19-2003, 08:50 PM
syc

im not sure where you got your info from but the 240 that you get in the murano is the MOST HP the cvt has ever had
yes, the MOST HP the cvt has ever had in NORTH AMERICA

280 HP is the most (but 280 hp is just a gentlement agreement anyway)

but you do have to give the cvt in murano for some credit, that cvt is designed to handle the colder weather for some place in north america (source from road&track or moter trend ??)

i believe a cvt "that handle 250 hp" is more expensive for an altima. not because it is more/less complicate (well, maybe), but because the supply and demand principal. the cost of R&D compare to the sell
Old 08-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Kevlo for President

ACTUALLY its more then 280, even though i said 280. when the VQ30DET came out, no engine could have more then 280 hp in jap. so i thinks its under-rated like the skyline gt-r engine. i thinks its closer to 300 hp.

http://www.nissan-global.com/GCC/Jap...991116_0e.html
whoever thought my info was not valid, here strait from nissan
Old 08-20-2003, 05:47 PM
WANNA RUN IT?

that car w the cvt was not 280....the cvt has been used for over 10 yrs in japan and europe.....the most powerfull engine EVER that the cvt has been mated too is the murano.....enywhere......i am our truck manager at our dealership and i have all specs on the cvt when customers ask me and other sales staff questions......the cvt has an infinate gear ratio and if to look at the ****er it has a d s and l gear.....but there arent any conventional gears as we are used to seeing.....on another note i had to go to the show place areana in upper marlboro maryland today and drove a titan truck and a pathfinder armada for more truck mgmt training....all i can say is WOW top of the line!
Old 08-20-2003, 06:54 PM
VQ Wizard

drove a titan truck and a pathfinder armada for more truck mgmt training....all i can say is WOW top of the line!
Lucky bastard!

So tell us, is the 5.6 a monster that we expect it to be?
Old 08-21-2003, 06:12 AM
WANNA RUN IT?

Originally posted by SR20DEN

Lucky bastard!

So tell us, is the 5.6 a monster that we expect it to be?
its nasty! sounds better than the hemi dodge and has more get up and go from a stand still.....yea its a monster
Old 08-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Kevlo for President

http://www.nissan-global.com/GCC/Jap...991001_0e.html
the vq30det DOES HAVE 280+ HP
thus meaning hte murano is not the most hp engine a cvt has been with
http://www.freshalloy.com/site/featu...nes/home.shtml
Gloria/Cedric (Japan)
VQ30DET

VQ30DET:
280/285
Old 08-25-2003, 04:54 PM
WANNA RUN IT?

http://www.nissan-global.com/GCC/Jap...991001_0e.html
the vq30det DOES HAVE 280+ HP
thus meaning hte murano is not the most hp engine a cvt has been with
http://www.freshalloy.com/site/featu...nes/home.shtml
Gloria/Cedric (Japan)
VQ30DET

VQ30DET:
280/285
ok smart guy let me show you how much you actualy know.......
that is the extroid cvt........totaly differant transmission than the one in the murano.....if you read closely it says it has a 6spd manual shift mode....guess what the cvt doesnt offer that because it DOESNT HAVE GEARS.....wrong transmission buddy.....so the highest hp a true cvt has held is 240 from the murano.....
Old 08-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Kevlo for President

teh extroit has 6 PRE-SET GEARS. NISSAN DOESN MAKE A 6-speed AUTO, seach all you want and find me a nissan with a 6speed auto.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:00 PM
Kevlo for President

ALSO READ THIS U FOOL "The EXTROID CVT comprises the entirety of Nissan's CVT technology, and in addition to achieving quick response and the smooth and powerful acceleration suitable for luxury cars, it can handle the large torque of a 3-liter turbocharged engine"

Name one 3liter engine with turbo from nissan with less then 240 hp.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:02 PM

Arent the new Maximas 6 speed auto?
Old 08-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Kevlo for President

5speed auto in SE
Old 08-26-2003, 05:39 PM
WANNA RUN IT?

teh extroit has 6 PRE-SET GEARS. NISSAN DOESN MAKE A 6-speed AUTO, seach all you want and find me a nissan with a 6speed auto.
dude your making yourself look dumber and dumber.....guess what jack azz your right the extroid cvt does have 6 speeds....now if you look i said that in my last post moron.....now have you even looked at a murano jerk off? you see it has an infinate number of gearing ratios not 6 you freaking idiot!....you see the cvt that was on the japan cars was not a true cvt like what is in the us....that one was called an extroid cvt....the one in the us is an extronic....2 totally differant transmissions....the extroid was a failure.....xtronic a hit and the most that transmission has ever seen is 240hp
Old 08-26-2003, 05:46 PM
WANNA RUN IT?

ALSO READ THIS U FOOL "The EXTROID CVT comprises the entirety of Nissan's CVT technology, and in addition to achieving quick response and the smooth and powerful acceleration suitable for luxury cars, it can handle the large torque of a 3-liter turbocharged engine"

Name one 3liter engine with turbo from nissan with less then 240 hp.
learn what the fock your talking about before you talk ****...see im trained by nissan corperate and train my guys in this ****.....think im a little more qualified in this....now i can keep making you look like a freaking dumb azz mother focker if you want or you can conceed you dont know what your talking about and stop talking about **** you only have half a clue about
Old 08-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Kevlo for President

ok lets get this strait. you say the extriod cvt is not a true cvt but yet it has cvt in its name. the 6 preset gears are for a manumatic mode for people who like regular gears. if you leave it in drive, you get an infinent number of gear ratios just like the xtronic cvt. from what i have read hte xtronic is based off of hte extroid.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...e#Post67474835
http://www.ukcar.com/sframe.htm?/fea...CVT_roller.htm

and yes i do know about hte murano
http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...ech/home.shtml

so from that i see that hte murano has the highest hp/tourque rating for a conventional cvt(belt/chain) and hte Vq30det extroid cvt has the highest for non-conventional cvt
Old 08-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Kevlo for President

also, doesn't hte murano have a manumatic mode--if so doens't it have preset gears too JUST like hte extroid cvt?
Old 08-26-2003, 06:27 PM
SXN

u both suck...having a cat fight on the org
Old 08-26-2003, 07:31 PM
syc

a CVT is a CVT, as long as it's ratio span "continiously" in nature(and people to buy in practice). it doesn't need to be belt driven. there are many ways to achieve it, such as using belt, using friction "disks", using hydrolic, etc. so, after you seen the design of the extroid cvt, you saying the Extroid CVT is not a CVT? isn't that the whole point of a CVT is to have a continuous speed change experience?

the original post did imply the idea putting the Marano cvt in maxima. however, the highest hp cvt is not in the Marano.

Alternatively to the continuous mode of the Extroid CVT, 6 or 8 distinct "virtual" ratios are available for the cornering or whatever the reason the driver needs to change the gearing ratio.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:45 AM
Kevlo for President

thnx syc, end of convo, and to answer the original Q, i don't know why nissan didn't put a cvt on hte g35 but maybe they will on hte AWD drive one that is suppose to come in DEC.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:01 AM
THX
Hallelujah

Maybe it's just me but it seems CVT wouldn't be great for performance by its nature (yet anyways). The belt doesn't nearly have as much grip as 2 toothed gears grinding against each other. I would think off the line you have much to lose.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:37 PM
SXN

u would lose off the line, but on the top end, where it supposedly has unlimited ratios....could u keep going and going and going?
Old 08-27-2003, 07:08 PM
WANNA RUN IT?

also, doesn't hte murano have a manumatic mode--if so doens't it have preset gears too JUST like hte extroid cvt?
ok the murao has a d s and l on the trans it simply yholds the pullies from going into the higher gear ratios....
the xtronic is the cvt transmission we were talking about in the original post...and that transmission has only seen 240 hp.....
thats all i was saying
Old 08-27-2003, 07:12 PM
WANNA RUN IT?

thnx syc, end of convo, and to answer the original Q, i don't know why nissan didn't put a cvt on hte g35 but maybe they will on hte AWD drive one that is suppose to come in DEC.
the cvt we currently have isnt capable of going into the g35 because of the hp ratings its capable of...so far the thinking is alittle over 250.....expect to see something more like whats in the fx to go into the g35 (7spd auto)

Quick Reply: CVT on Maxima or G35 Why Not??