General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Alternator Failure/Fire!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:49 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Alternator Failure/Fire!!

Yesterday afternoon my car started making some strange wining sounds. At first I assumed it was the supercharger, which ****ed me off because I though the bearings/gears were already going bad.

This morning I get to work, and everything seems normal minus the noise. I'm in the office for about 5 minutes when my boss tells me that there's smoke coming out from my hood! Run out side, pop the hood, and see the the alternator is ON FIRE! I had taken an extuingusher with me, so I put it right out.

Doesn't appear that anything else (including the harness(es)) were damaged.

I didn't notice anything wrong electrically. Car ran fine. I had blown a fuse a few days ago (the cig lighter), but I didn't force a bigger one in there or anything.

Why in the world would this happen? I know its been a recall from some 97's, but hadn't heard anything about 99's. The alternator has 88k miles on it.

Thank goodness I park right in front of the main office windows. If this would have happened any other time, I wouldn't have noticed (ie, if the car was in my garage) and could have destroyed the car or much, much worse.

Nuttin but bad luck with the car recently.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Sports Button FTW

dam that sucks man, i'm real sorry bro and i'm glad that u spotted it before things got worst...dam your luck sucks lol...i would definitely talk to nissan about that and see if there may be a recall on those as well?
Old 08-25-2003, 01:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Alternator Failure/Fire!!

Originally posted by ejj
Yesterday afternoon my car started making some strange wining sounds. At first I assumed it was the supercharger, which ****ed me off because I though the bearings/gears were already going bad.

This morning I get to work, and everything seems normal minus the noise. I'm in the office for about 5 minutes when my boss tells me that there's smoke coming out from my hood! Run out side, pop the hood, and see the the alternator is ON FIRE! I had taken an extuingusher with me, so I put it right out.

Doesn't appear that anything else (including the harness(es)) were damaged.

I didn't notice anything wrong electrically. Car ran fine. I had blown a fuse a few days ago (the cig lighter), but I didn't force a bigger one in there or anything.

Why in the world would this happen? I know its been a recall from some 97's, but hadn't heard anything about 99's. The alternator has 88k miles on it.

Thank goodness I park right in front of the main office windows. If this would have happened any other time, I wouldn't have noticed (ie, if the car was in my garage) and could have destroyed the car or much, much worse.

Nuttin but bad luck with the car recently.
That could have been an alternator under recall.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Alternator Failure/Fire!!

Originally posted by deezo
That could have been an alternator under recall.
nah..

my altenator just went.. and even though i have a 97 i wasn't in the recall list

just spent $350 this weekend
Old 08-25-2003, 01:30 PM
Kevlo for President

ya i have a 97 and wasn't under hte recall.
200 at autozone after the core. lifetime warrenty
Old 08-25-2003, 02:40 PM

i shoved a 25amp fuse in my cig lighter and it doesnt light anything on fire. i think you should get the recall
Old 08-25-2003, 03:22 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Bad alternator setting a car on fire is not uncommon. It's just a simple eletrical short. You are very lucky that you put it out in time. Buy your boss lunch since he saved your car. A car making funky whining noise is never good.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Alternator Failure/Fire!!

Originally posted by SprintMax

nah..

my altenator just went.. and even though i have a 97 i wasn't in the recall list

Judging by Nissan's OEM, how likely is it that they know JNC1Ablah blah blah 005+ needs a new alternator but 001 to 004 doesn't need it? They ought to just replace them, they don't coincidentally go bad in 5-6 years. Lucky I pulled in and no question dealer said you get a new alternator.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:00 PM
ejj

Well, the alternator is replaced.

AAA sent a flatbed to my office, with was a PITA, but it worked. I got a re-man'ed alternator from Hutchins Automotive for $120 + core. Not too bad.

I'm still freaked about this. I'll be checking under my hood everytime I go anywhere for weeks. Just thinking about the potential for damage if this didn't happen where it did scares me.

The alternator was siezed when I got it out of the car. I don't know if its being siezed caused the fire, or was because of it, but it wouldn't readily turn. It took some work, but I got it spinning again. I was affraid I wouldn't get my core $$$ back if it didn't spin.

For what its worth, I think having the SC installed made changing the alternator easier than on the NA car. Having the top bolt already out and the alternator swung down made the process a lot easier.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Alternator Failure/Fire!!

Originally posted by SprintMax

nah..

Mine wasn't on the list either but I figured Ejj got the alternator with the new motor (probably not though).

I could have put you on to a website where I got mine for 160 and its better than my last 2.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:56 PM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Re: Alternator Failure/Fire!!

Originally posted by deezo
I figured Ejj got the alternator with the new motor (probably not though).
Nope. This was the original alternator that came with the car. It lasting 88k miles doesn't bother me. Just the way it went!
Old 08-25-2003, 07:03 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

wow, they take core even if it was on fire??

either way, i'm glad ure car didn't get any more damaged than it could have.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:20 PM
ejj

Originally posted by nadir_s
wow, they take core even if it was on fire??
Will find out tomorrow.

Because its a re-manfactured and not re-build, I think they will. With a re-man'ed alternator, the only old part that they use is the case, so as long as the case is intact (which it is), I should be all set.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:47 PM

This weekend a girl I know her 96 maxima GLE caught fire like yours under the hood. She said she was at a gas station and didnt even know how to pop the hood. Some guy came up and said your cars smoking under the hood. He popped it and poured his fountain drink on it to put it out. Turns out it was the alternator.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:14 PM

I had to replace 3 alternators on my old 95
Old 08-27-2003, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by 96shogunmax
This weekend a girl I know her 96 maxima GLE caught fire like yours under the hood. She said she was at a gas station and didnt even know how to pop the hood. Some guy came up and said your cars smoking under the hood. He popped it and poured his fountain drink on it to put it out. Turns out it was the alternator.
What? That sounds like something out of a movie, some dude just pours a drink on a woman's motor? That's plain dumb. I love the web!