General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

mysterious knocking need some ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 02:02 AM

mysterious knocking need some ideas...

ok so at first i thought it was my ground contorls causeing this knocking noise when i make a left turn. i recently switched to kei office coilovers and the noise has since gotten worse.

so here is what happens. if i make any left turn while on the throttle even if its just a little bit off throttle i will get this knocking sound.

the knocking sound sort off like someone knocking on your fender with there knucle seems to be coming from underneather the center console benath the car. i can also feel the vibration on my gas pedal as well.

i have checked the cv boots. wheels has no play so i don't think its the wheel bearing. someone may have suggested axles. i don't know what do you guys think.

Frank
Old 08-26-2003, 04:46 PM

EXACTLY what I have, knocking/creeking on left turns only with GC setup. Im trying to figure this out too so Ill let you know if I figure it out and you do the same.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:53 PM

i just noticed my sway bar links are shot and they are making a pink/knocking noise... get under there and look around
Old 08-26-2003, 05:02 PM

I have no sway bar and the noise is distinctively comming from the passanger front
Old 08-26-2003, 06:15 PM

does it sound/feel like it could be coming from the strut assembly? the cup that goes above the spring could be making the noise if it was put back on incorrectly... i didnt realize one time when i did my springs that i put it on backwards, it says out i believe on it to show you which side faces out. when i was making somewhat hard left turns i would feel a little click almost and i would hear a noise coming from the front... when i got my progress springs and installed them i realized what the problem was... just a thought you might want to look into
Old 08-26-2003, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
I have no sway bar and the noise is distinctively comming from the passanger front
Unless you took your front sway bar off, you have one. They are standard equipment. You can get new polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension from several sources (Courtesy Nissan, Pep Boys, etc). The sway bar is 20mm, and the Energy Suspension part numbers are on Courtesy Nissan's site. There was also a post on here with the install and part numbers. Poly bushings seemed to have given my car a very minor increase in steering crispness.
If you've snapped an endlink, that'll most likely be a dealership item (or Courtesy Nissan might be cheaper). Our cars don't use what I know as a customary type of endlink. If an endlink is snapped, you'd be able to tell from excessive front body roll. I know I could tell when I had snapped one.

Dave

Dave
Old 08-26-2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Dave Holmes

Unless you took your front sway bar off, you have one. They are standard equipment. You can get new polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension from several sources (Courtesy Nissan, Pep Boys, etc). The sway bar is 20mm, and the Energy Suspension part numbers are on Courtesy Nissan's site. There was also a post on here with the install and part numbers. Poly bushings seemed to have given my car a very minor increase in steering crispness.
If you've snapped an endlink, that'll most likely be a dealership item (or Courtesy Nissan might be cheaper). Our cars don't use what I know as a customary type of endlink. If an endlink is snapped, you'd be able to tell from excessive front body roll. I know I could tell when I had snapped one.

Dave

Dave
I was talking about a RSB. anyways I looked at my front sway bar and it "looked" ok, how do I check if there dead?

JoesMAX - Ground controls dont use that upper perch mount so that cant be it in mine or jdmmax's case.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:58 PM

Other than the end links being snapped (which you'd be able to see), I'm not sure. I do know you should not be able to rotate the bushings on the end link around the shaft by hand. If you can, they are too loose.

Dave
Old 08-27-2003, 12:09 AM

uhmmm i am no longer on ground controls. however i am still on coilovers(kei office)

me and the head tech spent a good hour trying to pin point where the sound is coming from and we were still at a lose. he said with more time he would be able to figure it out but until then. its a head scratcher.

ill keep you guys updated.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:59 AM

put a pry bar on the end links and if you get alot of movement they are bad, also look at the bushings for wear.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:31 PM

will a car with 50k miles likely to have worn bushings? Thanks for the advise, Ill go check them anyways though
Old 08-28-2003, 06:01 PM

I have a feeling its my top hat mount thats on top of the coil is banging against the strut rod.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:49 PM

ok i just replaced my main sway bar busings. still no good.

that leaves control arms
axels.