General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Searching for a short circuit-reality check

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Searching for a short circuit-reality check

I believe there is a low grade short somewhere under my dash. I'll spare you all the other details on how I came upon this for now.
Based on a test procedure from my Haynes Manual; if a short exists in the wiring, it can be isolated by disconnecting one of the battery cables and connecting a test light across that battery terminal to the removed cable. If the test light goes on that indicates the presence of a short.
One may isolate the short circuit in question by removing fuses one by one. The problem I seem to have, after pulling out all the fuses, I still see the lamp glow.
- one can hear a faint chirp come from an alarm horn (that has been installed since the car was new) when connecting the test light across the terminals.
- I am thinking there must be a circuit that is still allowing power to flow?
Or ?
Any ideas on this trouble shooting procedure?
Old 09-02-2003, 10:11 PM

Have you pulled the fuses under the hood, also? And does your aftermarket alarm horn connect straight to the battery, or does it go through your fuse box somewhere?
I'm interested in this too because my wife's '88 Nissan PU has a drain somehwere and I've been unable to find it.

Dave
Old 09-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

D
The collective wisdom found here is empowering...
Yes - I did pull 3 in-fuses a various places that were associated with my alarms.
No - I did not pull any fuses under hood(except alarm as stated above). But now that you mentioned it, I do remember seeing fuses in the fusible links enclosure in engine compartmnt. I 'll check it today.
Any other spots to check?
Thanks....AD
Old 09-04-2003, 06:44 PM

yes we are a collective, welcome to the BORG