General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What is traction control for you auto guys?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 04:24 PM

What is traction control for you auto guys?

I have a friend that got a 2000 SE Auto and she asked me about the traction control. I said I think it's supposed to be on but not really sure because my 98 is a stick. Thx.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
I have a friend that got a 2000 SE Auto and she asked me about the traction control. I said I think it's supposed to be on but not really sure because my 98 is a stick. Thx.
It basically stops you from doing accidental burnouts, so yeah, leave it on.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The traction control on an auto does exactly what it sounds like. It basically decreases the gas flow to the wheel which allows the other one to catch up. Hence traction..

I think
Old 09-03-2003, 06:40 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Traction Control only throttles down the engine when it detects wheel spin from either of the front wheels.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:40 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Traction control uses the ABS sensors to detect when a drive wheel/wheels are spinning at a high rate than non-drive wheels. When spin is detected braking is applied to the spinning wheel and I believe some systems may adjust fuel delivery to reduce power. IMO, these types of traction control systems suck because I think they introduce more driving problems when a good driver is behind the wheel.

Dave
Old 09-03-2003, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B
Traction control uses the ABS sensors to detect when a drive wheel/wheels are spinning at a high rate than non-drive wheels. When spin is detected braking is applied to the spinning wheel and I believe some systems may adjust fuel delivery to reduce power. IMO, these types of traction control systems suck because I think they introduce more driving problems when a good driver is behind the wheel.

Dave
nissan ones do not apply brakes, I know my dad's honda with TCS I can hear ABS kicking and it only works below 30mph or something

the nissan one just cuts a lot of engine power and it works at all speed
Old 09-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by costcowholesale
nissan ones do not apply brakes, I know my dad's honda with TCS I can hear ABS kicking and it only works below 30mph or something

the nissan one just cuts a lot of engine power and it works at all speed
Are you sure about that

"Nissan's Traction Control System (TCS) is offered on GLE and SE models, when equipped with automatic transmission, Deluxe Seating and ABS. The TCS uses sensors to monitor front wheel slippage. If both front tires are slipping, intermittent braking is applied through the ABS to the right and left wheels. At the same time, engine speed is automatically reduced until it matches the available traction. As a result, handling, control and safety are improved, whatever the weather."

Dave
Old 09-03-2003, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B
Are you sure about that

"Nissan's Traction Control System (TCS) is offered on GLE and SE models, when equipped with automatic transmission, Deluxe Seating and ABS. The TCS uses sensors to monitor front wheel slippage. If both front tires are slipping, intermittent braking is applied through the ABS to the right and left wheels. At the same time, engine speed is automatically reduced until it matches the available traction. As a result, handling, control and safety are improved, whatever the weather."

Dave
where did you quote that? heres what I have
"lets say mother nature dumped a foot of snow last night. If your Maxima is squipped with Traction Control system (TCS), you're less likely to get stuck. Here's why. If an ABS sensor detects that one of the drive wheel is slipping during acceleration, TCS signals the engine management system to reduce the power. This helps keep the wheels from spinning and makes your drive more stable and secure. And because TCS doesn't use the brakes as many other systems do it is quieter, smoother and can operate at any speed

*I typed this out of my 99 Brochure

edit... screenshot here

[img]www.torontomaxima.com/~costcoGLE/tcs.jpg[/img]
Old 09-04-2003, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by costcowholesale
where did you quote that? heres what I have
"lets say mother nature dumped a foot of snow last night. If your Maxima is squipped with Traction Control system (TCS), you're less likely to get stuck. Here's why. If an ABS sensor detects that one of the drive wheel is slipping during acceleration, TCS signals the engine management system to reduce the power. This helps keep the wheels from spinning and makes your drive more stable and secure. And because TCS doesn't use the brakes as many other systems do it is quieter, smoother and can operate at any speed

*I typed this out of my 99 Brochure

edit... screenshot here

[img]www.torontomaxima.com/~costcoGLE/tcs.jpg[/img]
hmm....I wonder if the brakes are used or not? Well, 99 is a 4th gen and my friend's is a 2k so maybe it changed for 5th gen. Anyway, thanks for the responses, looks to me that the traction control should be kept on under normal circumstances as we had thought. I think I drove an Alero with that and tire pressure monitors once. Maybe a Grand Am, can't remember.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Traction Control only throttles down the engine when it detects wheel spin from either of the front wheels.
Yep. The systems that apply brakes to a specific wheel are dynamic stability controls.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:51 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I got my information from here (discussing the 99 Maxima):

http://www.autoworld.com/news/Nissan/Maxima.htm

Here's info discussing Nissan's newest traction control used on the 02+:

http://www.haasnissan.com/03_maxima_performance.html

"Then, the Traction Control System – standard on all automatic transmission Maximas – goes a step further. To keep your wheels from spinning, the system cuts fuel to one or more cylinders, or even shifts the transmission. Unlike other cars' systems, it doesn't interfere with brakes, so it's simpler, quieter, smoother, and most important, operates at any speed."

So we're both right depending on which year you're talking about.

Dave