General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

SAFC vs. SAFC-II

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 11:32 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

SAFC vs. SAFC-II

If I could get a SAFC for about $150, and an SAFC-II Special Edition for $300, is there any real reason to get the II?

The II would physically look better, as it has the white display and black case, but that's not the most important thing in the world. Is the extra adjustability necessary? Does the knock sensor monitor work well?
Old 09-19-2003, 12:07 PM
V^___^V

go to the apexi site and read the info
Old 09-19-2003, 12:12 PM
ejj

Originally Posted by happyricefob
go to the apexi site and read the info
I have, and I understand the difference. I'm looking for someone who has used them that can tell me if the II is worth the extra money.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ejj
I have, and I understand the difference. I'm looking for someone who has used them that can tell me if the II is worth the extra money.

The knock sensor doesn't work on OBDII cars. You do get a reading but it doensn't mean diddly squat. Mine just keeps increasing the longer the car is running and doesn't appear to change much under hard throttle, nitrous etc.

The feature I like the best is the 2 sets of data which is a necessity for nitrous, not for other forms of boost because they are always on although you could still have an aggressive setting and a std setting I guess.

The increments are much closer, but how much it helps is open to interpretation, probably hard to measure any difference.

That my $.02. I have heard some say the KS mon works but according to the experts its only for OBDI cars.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:24 PM
ejj

Originally Posted by Jime
The knock sensor doesn't work on OBDII cars. You do get a reading but it doensn't mean diddly squat. Mine just keeps increasing the longer the car is running and doesn't appear to change much under hard throttle, nitrous etc.
Really? That's a bummer.

The feature I like the best is the 2 sets of data which is a necessity for nitrous, not for other forms of boost because they are always on although you could still have an aggressive setting and a std setting I guess.
Yeah, unless I spray on top of the boost (which I'm not planning), 1 set of data is all I'm going to need.

The increments are much closer, but how much it helps is open to interpretation, probably hard to measure any difference.
Doubt its $150 worth of difference. Thanks for the info Jim.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:38 PM

I've used both.
I have the AFC on my car and I've tuned a bunch of customer cars using AFC and AFC 2.
The better points of the AFC 2 is clearly more data points to adjust. I think AFC give you 7-8 and AFC 2 give you 12, you can find that info out on the website. People like the AFC 2 special edition cause it's black, I could care less. Knock detection on the AFC 2 is totally useless. I do not like the AFC 2 because of the stupid wheel and **** to adjust with , I HATE IT !!!
It makes it difficult to adjust while driving, and most of my adjusting is going on while I am driving.

I'd say go with Blue screen AFC.
When you say AFC becareful becuase the original AFC is the old school black box with only 5 adjustable ***** on it.

Ant
Old 09-19-2003, 11:07 PM

I'll have the SAFC II on by new years. A friend at Apexi really hooked me up on this one. Now, it's just a matter of installing and tuning. I'm disappointed to hear that the knock monitor is useless. That was one of the main selling points for me. I was thinking this unit would be good for tuning and monitoring, but I guess it might be more on the tuning function now. I wonder how a well tuned AFC will compare with the G-force/technosquare ECU.