General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Why my maxima brake squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 08:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Why my maxima brake squeal?

Hi, everybody:

I own a 96 maxima, I got a problem with my car's brake 2 weeks ago.
When I drove below 30km/h, the left front brake always squeal. after I speed up, the sound is gone. In order to check if I should change the brake pad, I dismounted the wheel, found that the pad is still thick, but the pad touch the rotator closely, the brake liquid is also full. The brake works as normall as before. I don't know what caused this problem, Should I take my car to the garage or dealer and have them check it?I worry if the dealer will tell me the truth and solve my problem correctly.

Thanks

Ray
Old 09-23-2003, 09:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ray_li
Hi, everybody:

I own a 96 maxima, I got a problem with my car's brake 2 weeks ago.
When I drove below 30km/h, the left front brake always squeal. after I speed up, the sound is gone. In order to check if I should change the brake pad, I dismounted the wheel, found that the pad is still thick, but the pad touch the rotator closely, the brake liquid is also full. The brake works as normall as before. I don't know what caused this problem, Should I take my car to the garage or dealer and have them check it?I worry if the dealer will tell me the truth and solve my problem correctly.

Thanks

Ray
Most likely your rotor is glazed; in other words, the surface of your rotors become too smooth and shiny. Just leave it as it is if there is no vibration and you can stand the noise. Resurfacing the rotors might solve the problem but it might cause brake judder because of the thinner rotors after resurfacing.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:10 AM

Does the noise come back if you slow down below 30km/h? Is the left wheel much hotter than the right? The pads may be rubbing against the rotor thus making the noise. You may want to check if the piston is somewhat dragging, or the caliper pins do not slide freely. Also clean the sliding surfaces for the pads.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by UncleMax98
Does the noise come back if you slow down below 30km/h? Is the left wheel much hotter than the right? The pads may be rubbing against the rotor thus making the noise. You may want to check if the piston is somewhat dragging, or the caliper pins do not slide freely. Also clean the sliding surfaces for the pads.

Thank you guys for your answer to my question.
The noisy comes back if I slow down below 30km/m.
My new question is how I can check if the piston is dragging or the caliper pins slide freely?. If the cliper pins don't slide freely, can I solve this problem by myself and how.

Thanks

Ray Li
Old 09-23-2003, 03:33 PM

Does the noise sound like brake squeal or does it sound like something rubbery? Does it go away or change if you apply the brake lightly? I used to have a noise problem only at low speed and hot days. It was due to a dry-out wheel bearing seal.

I would start with relubricating the caliper pins and cleaning the sliding surfaces for the pads. Also, some anti-squeal compound on the shims would help. This web site has good info and pictures. http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php
Old 09-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know the reason

I have my car checked by the NISSAN mechanic, they thought
the reason is that my front break pad is aftermarket products, so it caused squal problem. The labour in NISSAN is very expensive, checking
brake cost me $50, if I change my rear brake pad and do rotator machine, it will cost me 130+200(labour). It is overpriced, so got this service from other garage.