General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Do you have ABS?
Yes
60.53%
No
38.16%
I have no idea.
1.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

ABS who's got, it who likes it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, that's another argument for why ABS is better.

DW

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
Humans can think but they can't react as quickly as a computer controlled hydraulic pump. So the person might perceive the problem before the computer senses it, but the person's reaction time will be magnitudes slower than the computer's.

And again, it's not about stopping DISTANCE it's about CONTROL, and ABS allows you more CONTROL than non-ABS cars.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:18 PM
I'm needing a caw

I bet commander Data can threshhold brake like ****!
Old 10-08-2003, 05:11 PM

I love abs all together. I wish my 88 had it! It couldve saved me from an accident from a car turning right onto a road going 40 mph. Turned the wheel the opposite direction while on the brakes, slid clean into his side. It was his fault but it couldve saved alot from happening. In my moms Volvo its helped out alot. Why dont people like it so much.?
Old 10-08-2003, 06:35 PM

He'd do more than that. He'd plug into the ECU harness and start having conversations with the car's computer. "Reduce the A/F by 0.005 points at 3500 rpms. Your running voltage is below operational parameters. Your Alternator is dying . . ."

DW

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I bet commander Data can threshhold brake like ****!
Old 10-08-2003, 06:38 PM

Now that I've argued all the reasons why I love ABS, here's the reason I don't like the 4th gen ABS: You feel the pulsing too much through the pedal, and it kicks the pedal back when it activates, so you have to push the pedal even harder. It's not a normal feeling, but one that can adjust to. As I mentioned earlier, this could be due to mods. When I have 17s on, this is how it acts, but when I have 15s on in the winter, it acts alot better and less twitchy.

DW

Originally Posted by max88q
I love abs all together. I wish my 88 had it! It couldve saved me from an accident from a car turning right onto a road going 40 mph. Turned the wheel the opposite direction while on the brakes, slid clean into his side. It was his fault but it couldve saved alot from happening. In my moms Volvo its helped out alot. Why dont people like it so much.?
Old 10-09-2003, 08:34 AM

DaveB's example of momentarily locking non ABS brakes on a newly graveled road, then releasing them, is a good one. On ice and snow covered roads, I like to do this same test of the adhesion of the road surface, with a momentary lock up of the brakes. Gives me a better overall feel for adjusting stopping distances and the buffer distance between you and the car ahead of or behind you. Yes, you can do this with an ABS car, but, you're only finding the point where the brakes modulate, not where traction loss occurs. Not knocking anyone who prefers ABS. Hey, it's personal preference based on personal experience and that's a very subjective area. Maybe the reason I didn't like ABS on my previous car was the fact that I'd had many more years on non ABS cars and the feel of ABS was foreign to me.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by sweetdaddy
. . . Yes, you can do this with an ABS car, but, you're only finding the point where the brakes modulate, not where traction loss occurs. . . . . .
That's a bit of a confusing statement. The point where ABS modulates IS the point where traction loss occurs. ABS doesn't activate early.

Originally Posted by sweetdaddy
. . .Not knocking anyone who prefers ABS. Hey, it's personal preference based on personal experience and that's a very subjective area. Maybe the reason I didn't like ABS on my previous car was the fact that I'd had many more years on non ABS cars and the feel of ABS was foreign to me.
This must be it. You're not used to it. Me too, to an extent. Like I said earlier, the pulsing of the pedal is very distracting and shouldn't be. ABS in the 4th gen Maxima is quite sophisticated. It's a 4 channel system, so it watches each wheel and modulates them independently. Try driving on the road in a safe remote area during winter. Drive the on a section where your right side wheels are on ice, and the left side is on road. Slam the brakes and ABS will kick in on the right side only.

DW
Old 10-10-2003, 12:25 PM

ABS saved my *** like 3 times already, so I'm satisfied with my max having it. I don't think that $500 feature, ABS, would be a waste of money.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

hehe then it would be a 2nd gen maxima. "hey mother*****, someone stole your battery"

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
He'd do more than that. He'd plug into the ECU harness and start having conversations with the car's computer. "Reduce the A/F by 0.005 points at 3500 rpms. Your running voltage is below operational parameters. Your Alternator is dying . . ."

DW
Old 10-10-2003, 01:29 PM

ABS who needs it i have cat-like reflexses