General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Buying/Getting Abandoned Maxima w/o Title

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 09:59 PM

Buying/Getting Abandoned Maxima w/o Title

There is a 3rd generation maxima i found in the back corner of a parking lot in a mini plaza. its next to 2 other cars. i asked a guy who owns a barber shop in the plaza and he said that the cars have been sitting there for months and months. he says, they seem to abandoned cars. i guess people that didnt want them anymore and had no where to put them, put them there. i remember seeing that car i want now a long long time ago, maybe last year. anyway, want to buy it or get it. the guy said the man who owns the property might be looking for someone to get rid of those cars for him since they are not his.

the doors are open to the car i want and inside there i no title.

can the guy that owns the property give me or sell the car to me?

how do u go about getting/buying a abandoned car that has no title?
Old 10-19-2003, 10:14 PM
It's chrome alright...

won't the VIN tell you the owner, or at least give a clue? And what about plates...are there any?

I'd try the police first.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:30 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
won't the VIN tell you the owner, or at least give a clue? And what about plates...are there any?

I'd try the police first.
I had a similar situation a few years ago with a 1969 'Vette that had been abandonded at a house I moved into.

The previous occupants said the car was there when they moved in there about 10-12 years prior (we're talking about they moved in there in the early 80's), and they had NO idea who owned the car prior.

So, I took the VIN and took it to the vehicle registration place in my town. They looked it up and got the name and last known address of the person the car used to belong to.

A little footwork after that yielded that the guy that owned the car was either dead or MIA, cuz nobody knew where he was. So, I then went back to the vehicle registration place and put in an application for a reassignment of title.

Since neither they or me (jeez - is that even REMOTELY gramatically correct??) could get ahold of the prior owner, they reassigned the title to me in 3 months. Viola!!! One "free" '69 Vette! And I didn't even have to use the

Maybe this will help you and maybe not...
Old 10-19-2003, 10:56 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

What did you end up doing with the Vette?
Old 10-20-2003, 12:32 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
I had a similar situation a few years ago with a 1969 'Vette that had been abandonded at a house I moved into.

The previous occupants said the car was there when they moved in there about 10-12 years prior (we're talking about they moved in there in the early 80's), and they had NO idea who owned the car prior.

So, I took the VIN and took it to the vehicle registration place in my town. They looked it up and got the name and last known address of the person the car used to belong to.

A little footwork after that yielded that the guy that owned the car was either dead or MIA, cuz nobody knew where he was. So, I then went back to the vehicle registration place and put in an application for a reassignment of title.

Since neither they or me (jeez - is that even REMOTELY gramatically correct??) could get ahold of the prior owner, they reassigned the title to me in 3 months. Viola!!! One "free" '69 Vette! And I didn't even have to use the

Maybe this will help you and maybe not...
Ha, since you asked, "I" should be used instead of "me." But to keep this car related. Nice going there with the 69 vette. What are your plans for it?
Old 10-20-2003, 02:37 PM
Kevlo for President

run a carfax
Old 10-20-2003, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BasketBaller
There is a 3rd generation maxima i found in the back corner of a parking lot in a mini plaza. its next to 2 other cars. i asked a guy who owns a barber shop in the plaza and he said that the cars have been sitting there for months and months. he says, they seem to abandoned cars. i guess people that didnt want them anymore and had no where to put them, put them there. i remember seeing that car i want now a long long time ago, maybe last year. anyway, want to buy it or get it. the guy said the man who owns the property might be looking for someone to get rid of those cars for him since they are not his.

the doors are open to the car i want and inside there i no title.

can the guy that owns the property give me or sell the car to me?

how do u go about getting/buying a abandoned car that has no title?

We had a similar situation at one of the apartment complexes my family owns. There had bee a car sitting there for months prior to us buying it. The tenant who owned it left the complex and obviously wasn't coming back for the car. We called the police and reported the abandoned car and they came out and looked at it and took a report and then gave us the option of them towing it or us getting the title put into our names since it had been sitting there so long that it had become our property (or problem as my Dad put it). We elected to have it towed since it was a piece of junk anyway. So in conclusion the car belongs to the owner of the mini plaza. It is their choice to either have it towed or to try to get the title and then sell it to you. Depending on how nice he or she is, you might be able to get a really cheap car.

Adam
Old 10-20-2003, 06:02 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Iilac
Ha, since you asked, "I" should be used instead of "me." But to keep this car related. Nice going there with the 69 vette. What are your plans for it?
That darned car.... unfortunately, I sold it to finance my moving to North Dakota! Now, I regret doing that!