General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

It begins...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 06:03 PM

It begins...

Evolution-Autodesign Prototype Turbo #2...

Got a good bit done on the battery relocation, intercooler mount, piping, and planning. Just have to wait on the turbo, fuel system, gauges, and some other accessories to show up along w/ 6-7 hours of welding and Shadow's car should be up and running by the end of next week or so. Expect a slightly different layout than Sadler's setup simply b/c we're keeping auto tranny (want to see how far it will go) and push it to the limits.

Turbo specs, and piping layout info will wait until we finish and get this thing onto the dyno. Just going w/ a standard Spearco Intercooler since few cars can hold one as large as the one I put on Jason's car and it flows up to 500hp already.

Trying to finish the turbo and have it tuned to get some baseline track runs with it before the end of the season. Car's gutted right now w/ no stereo or interior so it should be relatively lightweight. Then it comes apart for making jigs for a kit along w/ the AV setup and new bodywork. Expect a finish date early next year for all the stuff w/ have to cram back into this car.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cool can't wait to see the finished product. I wish someone woudl actually make a turbo manifold instead of just the reverse y-pipe.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:07 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

sweet, ic looks real nice i dont recal reading a price estimate for the kit? but i guess its probably early for that anyways
Old 10-22-2003, 06:36 PM

Having spent an inordinate amount of time working underneath Sadler's and Shadow's Maximas I don't know if it's really a cost effective solution. The engine cradle is really intrusive and it would probably require a complete custom manifold to push the collector to the other side of the engine mount. Considering how much headers alone would cost to make it's definitely something that would only be useful in a full race setup.

Quite honestly having been there watching Sadler's car continuously put down 250hp to the wheels for almost 2 hours of dyno pulls at only 5psi I really don't see the advantage. Maximas aren't race cars and as long as the turbo puts down good power throughout the powerband and remains responsive, a full manifold seems to be an expensive option just to make it prettier. Sadler's car definitely didn't have any problems spooling quickly and the high torque of the VQ definitely makes the powerband very solid. I don't like seeing the 6ft of pipe necessary for U-turning the Y-pipe anymore than the rest of you but it remains the simplest solution for now. It also reduces overheating issues of pushing the pipe too close to the radiator and moving to pusher fans.

Then again I'm just an out of work college graduate that has too much time on my hands...only dyno plots and track times will tell.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Master Will

looks good so far man keep it up..
Old 10-22-2003, 08:02 PM

i believe thats a first for a FMIC in a Sarona bumper...

cant wait to see the dyno numbers

Ant
Old 10-22-2003, 08:03 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Great work guys...perhaps next year I can utilize your services when I turbo my 2003 GLE
Old 10-22-2003, 11:08 PM
Handsome

Originally Posted by Mishap
Having spent an inordinate amount of time working underneath Sadler's and Shadow's Maximas I don't know if it's really a cost effective solution. The engine cradle is really intrusive and it would probably require a complete custom manifold to push the collector to the other side of the engine mount. Considering how much headers alone would cost to make it's definitely something that would only be useful in a full race setup.

Quite honestly having been there watching Sadler's car continuously put down 250hp to the wheels for almost 2 hours of dyno pulls at only 5psi I really don't see the advantage. Maximas aren't race cars and as long as the turbo puts down good power throughout the powerband and remains responsive, a full manifold seems to be an expensive option just to make it prettier. Sadler's car definitely didn't have any problems spooling quickly and the high torque of the VQ definitely makes the powerband very solid. I don't like seeing the 6ft of pipe necessary for U-turning the Y-pipe anymore than the rest of you but it remains the simplest solution for now. It also reduces overheating issues of pushing the pipe too close to the radiator and moving to pusher fans.

Then again I'm just an out of work college graduate that has too much time on my hands...only dyno plots and track times will tell.
The headers are very hard to get to and a complete custom header would be much more expensive and harder to put on than a re-routed down pipe. The current method is cost effective and functional, if you can burn Z06's running under 10psi than I don't think that it is really neccasary to go looking for a new method to route the exhaust gases.

Are you guy's keeping the auto stock, or upgrading like RedMax and Jer's? I think baggs blew his out around 9psi very easily. Keep us updated, the new turbo maximas are really raising the bar in the land of boost.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Handsome

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Great work guys...perhaps next year I can utilize your services when I turbo my 2003 GLE
Quick Silver definatly keep me updated on that project!! A boosted 3.5 would be amazing. I will try and keep the fact that there will be boost options for the 2k2+ a secret from my girl friend (2k2 SE) I don't want her to be faster than me again
Old 10-23-2003, 12:32 AM

Yeah, what my brother is saying about the manifold is correct. It's just not cost effective to do and it would be hard to justify the gains unless you had maxed out the reverse Y setup. Having said this, we do have a plan for a custom manifold somewhere down the line. It definitely won't be cheap to run 6 primary runners from 2 exhaust banks, clear the engine mount, crossmember, and radiator and then merge them. It is very possible, but not very practical. If the manifolds were to work out as planned, then they would be a direct upgrade for the turbo kits we will be making. The way we are positioning the turbo takes into account the possibility of manifolds so if someone were to buy the kit and then decide to upgrade down the line, they wouldn't have to reposition the turbo or replace the downpipe. All this is quite a bit down the line though unless someone wants to pay us a bunch of money to prototype it...

Originally Posted by spanishrice
Cool can't wait to see the finished product. I wish someone woudl actually make a turbo manifold instead of just the reverse y-pipe.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:36 AM

The auto is internally stock. All we have on it is a Mobiltek VB mod and a custom LSD.

To me, it's not worth it to rebuild the auto to the levels needed for high boost. When it goes, it goes.

I definitely plan to have a 5 spd. in there sometime next year. But I don't plan on throwing a stock 5 spd. in there either. I've got a hookup with machine shops and cryo treaters so the 5 spd. would be fortified for boost.

Originally Posted by Street Reeper
:Are you guy's keeping the auto stock, or upgrading like RedMax and Jer's? I think baggs blew his out around 9psi very easily. Keep us updated, the new turbo maximas are really raising the bar in the land of boost.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:59 AM
Blazin......

Looks good guys. looks dammn good.

same question about those autos, will they last.....
Old 10-23-2003, 05:41 AM

Today I will look at my car, I think the front set of headers would be easy to connect to a collector below the turbo, there is nothing in the way. If overheating was a problem, you could always wrap them right. I am not sure about the back set of headers, is there an engine mount in the way? I try to looks today, can you see the back set fo headers without looking under the car?
Old 10-23-2003, 08:21 AM

You're rightk the fronts alone would be easy. But merging the rears with the front is where it gets difficult.

Originally Posted by spanishrice
Today I will look at my car, I think the front set of headers would be easy to connect to a collector below the turbo, there is nothing in the way. If overheating was a problem, you could always wrap them right. I am not sure about the back set of headers, is there an engine mount in the way? I try to looks today, can you see the back set fo headers without looking under the car?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:58 PM

Do you know where the extra Automatic transmission mount is. I looked at my engine bay, the front mount is in the way, I am not sure about the rears. I have an automatic transmission, I was thinking if I swap it would be easier but I want to know where the extra automatic mount is. If you know someone who welds they can mock something up in an easy metal to weld then make something out of stainless.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:41 PM

Jeff:

Things are looking great! I can't wait to see your finished result.

On a side note, will you update me on the fender flares. Thanks.

JP
Old 10-25-2003, 09:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am just hoping my car makes more power

good luck with the rest of the piping and can't wait to see how crazy this gets.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:42 PM
www.autotalk.com

This looks sweet.