General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is it a PITA to re-tint??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 08:17 AM
Banned

Is it a PITA to re-tint??

I've been debating on whether or not to change my 35% Llumar reflective tint to just a regular smoke/dark tint.....probably somewhere around 15%. Someone told me if you had to do everything including the rear windshield, you'd have to replace the whole rear windshield because of the defroster lines, otherwise peeling off the tint could ruin them. Can anyone elaborate on this?
Old 10-26-2003, 08:31 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by VQPowerSE
I've been debating on whether or not to change my 35% Llumar reflective tint to just a regular smoke/dark tint.....probably somewhere around 15%. Someone told me if you had to do everything including the rear windshield, you'd have to replace the whole rear windshield because of the defroster lines, otherwise peeling off the tint could ruin them. Can anyone elaborate on this?
I'm not sure if its 100 percent true on the rear winshield, but i would imagine its a PITA to remove tint from the defroster lines. You have full glass coverage? You could always break the window and let insurance pay for it

Old 10-26-2003, 08:47 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
You have full glass coverage? You could always break the window and let insurance pay for it
Old 10-26-2003, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
I'm not sure if its 100 percent true on the rear winshield, but i would imagine its a PITA to remove tint from the defroster lines. You have full glass coverage? You could always break the window and let insurance pay for it

Notta bad idea, but then it might become a PITA to clean up all that broken glass
Old 10-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

u have to use tint off or ammonia. spray it on and let it bake under a sunny/warm day. good idea to cover the glass on the inside after spraying the solution to keep it from drying out.

the ammonia/tint off will soften the glue on the glass then you can just pull the tint off and clean the rest of the left over glue with a white scrubbie pad and some window cleaner.

at no time should u ever put a metal sharp edge on the defroster line.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:06 PM

My friend had to change his tint from 20% to 35% due to regulations. He took it to the tint dealer and had them do it. No problems.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:20 PM
NWP Engineering.com

If the tint isn't that old, you will be fine. My tint was in Las Vegas heat for over 10 years and it was so baked on, it was hopeless. I had to razorblade the rear tint off. Yes, it messed up the defogger lines, but people in Las Vegas don't know what humidity and fog is. So it's cool.

But I'd say, if your tint is less than a few years old, then it will be easy for a professional to remove the tint from your rear window. If he says he can't do it, then you need to go to someone else b/c it's possible. Here's a good site:

http://www.tintdude.com
Old 10-26-2003, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
If the tint isn't that old, you will be fine. My tint was in Las Vegas heat for over 10 years and it was so baked on, it was hopeless. I had to razorblade the rear tint off. Yes, it messed up the defogger lines, but people in Las Vegas don't know what humidity and fog is. So it's cool.

But I'd say, if your tint is less than a few years old, then it will be easy for a professional to remove the tint from your rear window. If he says he can't do it, then you need to go to someone else b/c it's possible. Here's a good site:

http://www.tintdude.com
Yeah, my tint's about a year old, so it shouldn't be a problem then. The place I had it done at is one of the top tinting places mentioned in the NE forums. I'll look into it.

Thanks to everyone else for the feedback!
Old 10-27-2003, 07:42 AM

I had to get the tint on my rear windshield replaced..........DO NOT remove it w/ a razor blade your defroster will be ruined. Tint shops have a humidifying thing that removes the tint w/ no problems. Its like a vacume but it sprays hot air or sumptin like that.....anyways go to tint shops and find one w/ it, they should remove the rear tint cheap!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by ohannon7
I had to get the tint on my rear windshield replaced..........DO NOT remove it w/ a razor blade your defroster will be ruined. Tint shops have a humidifying thing that removes the tint w/ no problems. Its like a vacume but it sprays hot air or sumptin like that.....anyways go to tint shops and find one w/ it, they should remove the rear tint cheap!!!!!!!!!
it's called a steamer

for home people the recommended way to remove it is ammonia or tint off.