General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hey guys help me out PLEASE!!!-->

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 03:26 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

just changed my my dist cap and rotor and plug wires, and no the car is having a really rough idle and and its sputtering when I took it for a test drive around the block, almost acting like it wants to stall! I checked all of the plug wire paths with the cylinder numbers on the dist cap and matched them to the actual cyliners........so what could be wrong???? do I need to reset the ECU or something? I followed the directions to a tee..did I miss something?? help me.........
Old 02-20-2001, 03:35 PM
I'm needing a caw

It really does sound like you have some wires cross connected. If you are 90% sure you got the wires on the correct plugs then try installing the old set and see if that helps.

An easy way to replace the cap and wires in the future is to replace the cap or wires first, not at the same time. ie... replace the wires one at a time. Then when done w/ that replace the dist cap by removing one wire from the old one to the new one.

Good luck bro!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by DA-MAX
just changed my my dist cap and rotor and plug wires, and no the car is having a really rough idle and and its sputtering when I took it for a test drive around the block, almost acting like it wants to stall! I checked all of the plug wire paths with the cylinder numbers on the dist cap and matched them to the actual cyliners........so what could be wrong???? do I need to reset the ECU or something? I followed the directions to a tee..did I miss something?? help me.........
Old 02-20-2001, 03:49 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

do like jeff said...if still no then reset the ecu...
Old 02-20-2001, 03:49 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Yup exactly...

what my Haynes manual is saying! its too dark now to go out and check so best bets are for me to check it tommorow morning and if it persists I'll swing it by my mechanic for a quick look see before classes! thanks for the reply Jeff!!

Originally posted by Jeff92se
It really does sound like you have some wires cross connected. If you are 90% sure you got the wires on the correct plugs then try installing the old set and see if that helps.

An easy way to replace the cap and wires in the future is to replace the cap or wires first, not at the same time. ie... replace the wires one at a time. Then when done w/ that replace the dist cap by removing one wire from the old one to the new one.

Good luck bro!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by DA-MAX
Old 02-20-2001, 03:56 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hey you VG guys out there. Post a pic of your engine bay so Da-Max can confirm the plug wire orientation.
Old 02-20-2001, 04:56 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I just found the pic in the back of my manual...

even thoguh the ECCS cover is over the distributor in the picture, I can pretty much see the correct wire designations.....I think I might just have to take each one out again and put 'em back in tommorow morning......dammit now I have to get up earlier! oh well, thanks for your help Jeff!

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Hey you VG guys out there. Post a pic of your engine bay so Da-Max can confirm the plug wire orientation.