General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

port and polish

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 05:21 PM

sup yall. i was talking to a guy on the legend boards about this. he gave me the basic rundown, but i still dont feel good enough about digging into my engine. has anyone done this? he said i need to have the surface of the heads milled after i do all this...anyone know? i will definatly be doing this, i just hope someone can give me some more info.

jeff92se? i know your very intimate with your engine, and we live close too maybe you can help me out sometime

thanks all
casey
Old 02-20-2001, 06:20 PM

Jeff lives in WA right... where do you live Global Threat?

I have looked into this and there is a place called Z sport in everett that works on MOSTLY nissan's and they said for a full port and polish with new gaskets and the works, it'd be about $1400-1600.
NOW, I have thought of a cheaper way. Take apart the engine yourself and bring the parts to them to be ported and polished. I think that would cut the cost down to about $500 or so which would be more reasonable.
Old 02-20-2001, 08:07 PM

I would love to have the port-n-polish. In fact I have a spare engine to work on so minimal downtime Whoohoo!! What I am wondering is how much extrude hone p/p costs and whether they can do the U&L intake and exhaust manifolds and all the gasket matching for that price. I would gladly pay $500 for that to be done.....
Old 02-20-2001, 09:07 PM
dot dot dot ...

Here they charge 750 per head and that doesn't include stripping, just the actual porting and polishing.....i wanna do it but too much $$$$$
Old 02-20-2001, 10:00 PM

hahaha

hey i live in vancouver washington...so yeah jeff is close to me...met him at the last seattle meet. umm, im doing the p/p myself, im not paying someone else to do it summit sells a sanding kit with the paper and wheels, im ganna buy the air tool, and then hopefully have someone with me who knows whats up... i was told i needed to have the heads redone so i assumed it was something i cant do myself...

yes it will be a large project, yes im hoping i dont mess up but 1400 or so is too much to pay for anything for my ride, espically since its all labor.

casey
Old 02-20-2001, 11:36 PM
MaxirmaSE

are u going all motor?

Cause i heard it will slow ur car down if u do port n polish .u need tc/sc/nos for it to work right.

Old 02-21-2001, 08:36 AM

you heard wrong!!

nah man, the guy on the legend bbs told me the gains are around 20-30 hp from the p/p. why would it need to be forced to gain? all p/p is is making the openings bigger, and more importantly, smoother, to let the air flow better...i am definatly looking forward to it.

and yeah, ill be staying N/A for now, 4 grand is a lot for the stillen S/C and ive heard too many problems for it to be worthwhile for me. i am thinking about putting on a 60 shot of nitrous for this summer's drags, though

casey
Old 02-21-2001, 03:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A port and polish should help, but I don't think you'd get 20hp out of it. Some cars have much more potential for a p/p than ours. Most American cars get big gains because their surfaces aren't extremely smooth to begin with. A while back Don in Texas posted pics of the VQ internals, and everything looked pretty smooth to me
-hype
Old 02-21-2001, 04:30 PM

you'd be lucky to get over 10hp..

I had ported heads with a valve job on my maxima and I doubt it gave me over 10hp. But then again I had ISKY cams so those mods together gave me mad midrange-toppend torque . IMHO if your going NA you will need higher compression, more agressive cams and/or a 5th gen intake manifold. I doubt the VQ30DE heads are worse performing than the VG30DE's are. On stock compression a VG30DE with headwork only gains like 8-14rwhp. The most significant gains come from higher compression and more agressive cams. For cams you'd have to turn to ISKY and you will need to send in your cores to get reground. If I had a VQ it would see 7500rpm and be my M3 killer hehe .

Originally posted by global_threat
nah man, the guy on the legend bbs told me the gains are around 20-30 hp from the p/p. why would it need to be forced to gain? all p/p is is making the openings bigger, and more importantly, smoother, to let the air flow better...i am definatly looking forward to it.

and yeah, ill be staying N/A for now, 4 grand is a lot for the stillen S/C and ive heard too many problems for it to be worthwhile for me. i am thinking about putting on a 60 shot of nitrous for this summer's drags, though

casey
Old 02-21-2001, 05:33 PM

KIM Barr racing engines

that is where i am going in about 2months, they quoted me 600 bucks for port and polishing the heads, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold. maybe mill the heads for more compression, but i am not should about the compression thing yet. not a bad deal.

[Edited by BrokenMotor on 02-21-2001 at 09:32 PM]
Old 02-21-2001, 08:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BrokenMotor
Damn that's a hell of a deal. 600 bucks is nothing for internal work. Where is the shop located since I'm local to you. Whenever the next meet is I'll actually come and hang out. Last time I opted to go to the track I also want to compare my exhaust to Fred's since I have a ypipe.
-hype
Old 02-21-2001, 08:50 PM

I'm actually thinking of..

doing the work myself too. However, if I get the heads removed, I would want to just take it to the shop and have them do the actuall work so they only charge me for the port and polishing, not the assembly.
I do however want to lower my compression ratio so I can run a s/c with higher boost. Does anyone exactly know what it takes to lower the compression ration or can you only raise the CR?
Old 02-21-2001, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
BrokenMotor
Damn that's a hell of a deal. 600 bucks is nothing for internal work. Where is the shop located since I'm local to you. Whenever the next meet is I'll actually come and hang out. Last time I opted to go to the track I also want to compare my exhaust to Fred's since I have a ypipe.
-hype
it's around Jupiter and Miller Rd.