General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

5-speed this, 5-speed that...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2001, 07:27 AM
MaxRX7

now that I got you to look, here's a question for you. Respond only if you DO know the answer or have an idea.

The clutch pedal stays on the floor and does NOT disengage by itself. I have to lift the pedal up with my hand, can only put in gear after turning the engine off. After turning the car on again, lets say in 3rd gear, the clutch pedal stays on the floor again. What can cause the problem?

I checked the fluid, fine.
Bled the system, the same.
Checked both the master and release cylinders, A ok.

I'm 90% sure it's the release bearing, meaning replacing clutch and so on.

Old 02-22-2001, 10:28 AM

Mind you, i have extensive experience working on Honda cable trannys and most FWD cars are pretty much the same when it comes to basic tranny mechanics, with that said...it's most likely your throw-out bearing return spring. It's typically a 12 guage wire that pulls the throw-out bearing back. It's probably broken on one side. You'd have to drop the tranny, replace the spring, and you'd be on your way...

It could also be a valve broken on the hydraulic system (not likely and this is just hypothetical). Where it applies pressure but doesn't allow it to be relieved.
Old 02-22-2001, 10:44 AM
RussMaxManiac

It is defintely your throw out bearing. What its doing is getting lodged in your forks of your pressure plate. Mine on my 98 Maxima started doing this after many races, and so happens the first time it did this it did this on my friend which he freaked. Anyways, I had to get it fixed. Time for you to get a new clutch while at it man.

Originally posted by MaxRX7
now that I got you to look, here's a question for you. Respond only if you DO know the answer or have an idea.

The clutch pedal stays on the floor and does NOT disengage by itself. I have to lift the pedal up with my hand, can only put in gear after turning the engine off. After turning the car on again, lets say in 3rd gear, the clutch pedal stays on the floor again. What can cause the problem?

Old 02-23-2001, 09:54 AM
MaxRX7

Thanks guys, now I've got an extra job for the weekend.

Old 02-23-2001, 10:21 AM
I'm needing a caw

Russ, did you actually see that after you took it apart? After all my experience in doing clutch jobs, I have never seen a T/O bearing get lodged in the pressure plate tangs. I can't even imagine how that would happen unless it got broken up and got ****-eyed in there or something. I suspect that the grease that lubes the inside of the T/O bearing to allow it to slide on the shaft dried up and is making the bearing stick on the shaft.

Originally posted by Russ2kSE
It is defintely your throw out bearing. What its doing is getting lodged in your forks of your pressure plate. Mine on my 98 Maxima started doing this after many races, and so happens the first time it did this it did this on my friend which he freaked. Anyways, I had to get it fixed. Time for you to get a new clutch while at it man.

Originally posted by MaxRX7