General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

<Which is better- - Axxis or Porterfield Brakepads??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2001, 10:28 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

About to replace stock pads with either Axxis of Porterfields. Which one is better? Should I get all four replaced or just the front set?

anGeLa
Old 02-23-2001, 11:32 PM

well

alot of people on this board recommend poterfields
Old 02-24-2001, 07:18 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

sounds familiar

Porterfields

mention Maxima.org group price.
Old 02-24-2001, 08:59 AM

I have Porterfields on 4 corners and they seem to stop pretty well...can't compare to Axxis cause I've never had them. However I definitely recommend doing all 4 corners no matter which brand u choose. Simply because if doing just the fronts, your front end now will be providing much more work than the rear thus wearing your front rotors and tires much quicker...yeah it'll probably FEEL like u're stopping faster, just like applying lots more pressure on the front brakes of you bicycle!
Old 02-24-2001, 09:00 AM

I have Porterfields on 4 corners and they seem to stop pretty well...can't compare to Axxis cause I've never had them. However I definitely recommend doing all 4 corners no matter which brand u choose. Simply because if doing just the fronts, your front end now will be providing much more work than the rear thus wearing your front rotors and tires much quicker...yeah it'll probably FEEL like u're stopping faster, just like applying lots more pressure on the front brakes of your bicycle...which I wouldn't do
Old 02-24-2001, 10:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, I got my Axxis brake pads installed several days ago. I could definitely feel the difference, such as better braking distance, less pressure applied on break pedal...BUT just last night I started hearing this AWFUL squeak when I apply brakes at low speeds. I am going back to the shop that installed them for me to get it checked, cuz it wasn't that bad with nissan brake pads.
Old 02-24-2001, 04:52 PM

Mine Squeaks too

Yeah Andy mine to this day give this high pitch squeals when light pressure is applied. It also did it just before replacing the pads...went away after awhile and came back. I even put the anti-squeal compound on the shims. May be I'll get new shims next time I clean the brakes...the ones in the back look suspicious cause it rusted out pretty bad.
Old 02-24-2001, 10:44 PM

Re: Mine Squeaks too

Originally posted by Enduro
Yeah Andy mine to this day give this high pitch squeals when light pressure is applied. It also did it just before replacing the pads...went away after awhile and came back. I even put the anti-squeal compound on the shims. May be I'll get new shims next time I clean the brakes...the ones in the back look suspicious cause it rusted out pretty bad.

Oh no man, something's definitely wrong with my brakes. This morning I noticed the sound became louder, sounds like a siren and I also get vibration. I think it's comming from the front right wheel.
Old 02-25-2001, 06:33 AM

Wooow...some squealings is ok but vibration sounds bad. Did u break in your new pads instead of stomping on them when they're brand new? Cause that just may warp your rotor Definitely bring it back for a check...possibly the pads retainer is loose or even the caliper's bolt. Good luck man!
Old 02-25-2001, 07:38 AM
Conecarver

I just compared these too. Some people said the Axxis didn't do well cold and had to warm up first. The Porterfields gripped better cold - and flat out grabbed you to a stop when warm.

[Edited by BEJAY1 on 02-25-2001 at 10:13 AM]
Old 02-25-2001, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by Enduro
Did u break in your new pads instead of stomping on them when they're brand new?
Oh yeah, I tried not to break hard, even while driving in the city, although it sais "No braking in required" right on the box.