General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Some pics of my Stillen rotors after 8 months

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 12:02 AM
STFU n00b!

Why did they only crack on the outer side, not the inner too?
My calipers are in excellent shape- nothing is binding, all bolts torqued correctly- and I've "only" gone through one set of Bendix pads, which are fairly low-temp compared to Axxis or Porterfields. (I've got a set of Axxis in the mail now)

These are 8 months old, with about 12k miles on them.
(large- about 100kbytes each)
<a href=http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pics/car/stillen_rotors/left1.jpg>left1.jpg</a>
<a href=http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pics/car/stillen_rotors/left2.jpg>left2.jpg</a>
<a href=http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pics/car/stillen_rotors/right1.jpg>right1.jpg</a>
<a href=http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pics/car/stillen_rotors/right2.jpg>right2.jpg</a>
<a href=http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pics/car/stillen_rotors/receipt.jpg>receipt.jpg</a>
Old 01-09-2001, 12:27 AM

Question.. have you ever during that 12K miles

Went for a little drive or whatever... run your car through a car wash... washed your car after driving.. (get the picture...)
I've heard that washing your car immediately or getting the rotors wet after driving..can warp/crack in your case because the rotors are being cooled too quickly.
If you have done none of this to your knowledge, I can't offer another explanation.
Old 01-09-2001, 12:30 AM
STFU n00b!

I've been very careful to never do that strictly for that reason..
That was my only guess too, that maybe I've hit a puddle of water and somehow sizzled them while driving.
It's either that of my famous 120-75 panic stop on the highway when I see a cop!
Old 01-09-2001, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
That was my only guess too, that maybe I've hit a puddle of water and somehow sizzled them while driving.
It's either that of my famous 120-75 panic stop on the highway when I see a cop!
Drilled rotors are very prone to cracking, especially if the base rotor wasn't designed to be drilled, vented more so than solid. Racers who use them end up replacing them every few races, if not every race. If hot appearance or performance is the object, slotting is the better solution, especially for street use.

Dave
Old 01-09-2001, 05:14 AM

Originally posted by wdave
Drilled rotors are very prone to cracking, especially if the base rotor wasn't designed to be drilled, vented more so than solid. Racers who use them end up replacing them every few races, if not every race. If hot appearance or performance is the object, slotting is the better solution, especially for street use.

Dave
I didn't know that drilled rotors will do that so easy..Most people that I know get them instead of slotted one's thinking that thier better,And don't have to replace them every so often
Old 01-09-2001, 05:18 AM
vapors smx

I have had my rotors that I just took out after 8 months. They have no cracking whatsoever. We are extremely hard on them too. Don't know why we haven't had any problems with them whatsoever. We were using matrix pads and strictly foolowed the break in period for the rotors. Sorry to see that happen to you.

Old 01-09-2001, 08:04 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by vapors smx
I have had my rotors that I just took out after 8 months. They have no cracking whatsoever. We are extremely hard on them too. Don't know why we haven't had any problems with them whatsoever. We were using matrix pads and strictly foolowed the break in period for the rotors. Sorry to see that happen to you.
Matt,

My comments mirror vapors comments.

I had mine on for nearly a year and a half. I removed mine because of warpage, and I was not careful (because I was ignorant) about washing the car when the rotors were still hot, etc.

You may want to give Porterfield a call and get some new Brembos cross-drilled and then cryo-treated. I'm pretty sure that will run you $300, as mine were $220 w/shipping with just a cryo-treatment. If I remember right, I think it was $40 per rotor for cross-drilling.....
Old 01-09-2001, 09:11 AM

If I were getting drilled rotors I would definitely get them cryo-treated. This will greatly increase their strength and lessen the probability of them cracking prematurely.

-GP
Old 01-09-2001, 09:57 AM
RussMaxManiac

From my experience on a fbody, the slotted rotors WARP much faster than stock rotors. They suck.

Originally posted by wdave

Dave

Old 01-09-2001, 09:58 AM
RussMaxManiac

Your not MATT man... Matt drives like a MANIAC!

Originally posted by vapors smx