General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

tint question??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 07:05 AM

tint question??

sorry if this was asked before the search is currently down.....

i was wondering if it's ok to put tints during cold weather as it is now in NYC??? i'm talking like 32/30 F at night??? is the tint going to get ruined over nights or nothing will happen??? i know i did tints in the summer and who ever i ask from friends they did during warm times so no one know.... please if u have any info write back
thanks
Old 11-26-2003, 07:09 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by sadice
sorry if this was asked before the search is currently down.....

i was wondering if it's ok to put tints during cold weather as it is now in NYC??? i'm talking like 32/30 F at night??? is the tint going to get ruined over nights or nothing will happen??? i know i did tints in the summer and who ever i ask from friends they did during warm times so no one know.... please if u have any info write back
thanks
professional tint...yes no problem.

as long as the tint solution is not freezing on the glass you're fine. heat shrinking might take longer and it will definitely take longer to dry. who tints outside anyway?

off the shelf tint might not work as well. once the tint is on (properly) there's nothing to worry about. it can snow on it and it'll be ok. just don't roll down the windows for a week or so.

also warm the glass...extreme cold and extreme heat makes the glass unhappy.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:11 AM

i know about the windows had tints donw before but during summer.. ok thanx for info i apreciate it i'll probably do my tints soon than ....
Old 11-26-2003, 08:42 AM

I wouldn't have tint put on when it's near freezing. The tint adhesive is water-activated and if the water droplets between the glass and tint can't evaporate, you're gonna have bubbles forever. If those drops froze, they might stretch your tint or something. The water droplets took 2-3 days to dry on my car in sunny April.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:48 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by white95max
I wouldn't have tint put on when it's near freezing. The tint adhesive is water-activated and if the water droplets between the glass and tint can't evaporate, you're gonna have bubbles forever. If those drops froze, they might stretch your tint or something. The water droplets took 2-3 days to dry on my car in sunny April.
water activated? where did u read this? peel the liner on a piece of dry tint...it doesn't need water to have it stick on to anything.

when you tint the water is pushed out from under the flim. a professional tinter will heat the glass after tinting to get more moisture out.

where did u get your information from? are you a window tinter?
Old 11-26-2003, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
water activated? where did u read this? peel the liner on a piece of dry tint...it doesn't need water to have it stick on to anything.

when you tint the water is pushed out from under the flim. a professional tinter will heat the glass after tinting to get more moisture out.

where did u get your information from? are you a window tinter?
No I'm not a window tinter.
OK. The water is applied to remove air from between the glass and the tint. There is going to be water left over after the tint is applied to the glass. If it is below freezing, the water drops will freeze. That could not be good for the tint.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:01 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by white95max
No I'm not a window tinter.
OK. The water is applied to remove air from between the glass and the tint. There is going to be water left over after the tint is applied to the glass. If it is below freezing, the water drops will freeze. That could not be good for the tint.
the water/slip solution is applied so the tint can be mounted/slid in place on the window.

there is not going to be an excessive amount of water left over. a tinter will push as much water out of the tint as he/she can. after that the tinter will most likely use the heat gun to dry the tint out even more. there isn't enough residual water in the tint to cause the tint to bubble like you think it would.

well anyway...it's not the best idea to tint when it's below freezing..but it's doable.