General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tranny is dead!..

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 10:52 PM

well i was driving down the city tonight and i can feel that it wasent grabbing and pulling as hard as it should in 2nd and 4th gears...i knew something was wrong..i get on the freeway and there i noticed the problems..

Problems:
1) when shifting from 1st to 2nd..takes like 2 seconds for it to shift and the RPM's keep going up untill it makes a little weak sift..
2) when in second gear...any acceleration will not pull in second gear..the RPMS will climp all the way to 6K and the car will be moving the same speed as if i just let off the gas
3) when i shifts into 3rd gear and i just give it a a small amount of thottle..it will pull slowly but fine in 3rd gear..even on the freeway..the 3rd gear was pulling like normal..but then...
4)if 4th gear..just like 2nd gear..no power what so ever..if i give it a little throttle it wont pull in 4th and the RPMS will climb with no change of speed..if i give it enough throttle to drop it into 3rd..it will but weakly then the 3rd gear will pull..

please help me with this problem..if there is help possible..

is it the TC?? DaMax may have some answers?
please help!! also, where is the best place to get a new or rebuilt tranny for us?? please help me..

Old 02-25-2001, 07:33 AM

Hey Andrew,

Do you have an automatic or a manual? (that may make a difference on the answer). I think you might have a clucth problem. Usually, when the tachometer goes up and the speed remains low (or even decreases) is an indication that the clutch is slipping. It seems that you are ok shifting (if it is a manual it is understandable but auto, I don't know, I would assume that the VB would need enough pressure? to gear up.)
I would not be surpriced if you had to change your cluctch and assoc. hardware. I you must change the clutch I would recommend looking into a Z one. This one is said to have better center pressure and be better all around than the Maxima's.

Good luck,

Originally posted by Andrew91SE
well i was driving down the city tonight and i can feel that it wasent grabbing and pulling as hard as it should in 2nd and 4th gears...i knew something was wrong..i get on the freeway and there i noticed the problems..

Problems:
1) when shifting from 1st to 2nd..takes like 2 seconds for it to shift and the RPM's keep going up untill it makes a little weak sift..
2) when in second gear...any acceleration will not pull in second gear..the RPMS will climp all the way to 6K and the car will be moving the same speed as if i just let off the gas
3) when i shifts into 3rd gear and i just give it a a small amount of thottle..it will pull slowly but fine in 3rd gear..even on the freeway..the 3rd gear was pulling like normal..but then...
4)if 4th gear..just like 2nd gear..no power what so ever..if i give it a little throttle it wont pull in 4th and the RPMS will climb with no change of speed..if i give it enough throttle to drop it into 3rd..it will but weakly then the 3rd gear will pull..

please help me with this problem..if there is help possible..

is it the TC?? DaMax may have some answers?
please help!! also, where is the best place to get a new or rebuilt tranny for us?? please help me..