General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

why does 6th gen SL

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 03:17 PM

why does 6th gen SL

have a 4 spd auto while the SE has a 5 spd auto? Just curious. Saw it when I was thumbing through the brochure.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:20 PM

soon enough, the SL will more than likely get the 5speed auto.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:38 PM
ivelweyz

Damn nissan is slow. Most cars have 5/6 speed autos and jaguar has a 7spd...

Old 12-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

The SL's more relaxed gearing is probably better for cruising and the more laid back driving style of people that would buy the SL that are not really into going fast. Plus since they've been using this tranny for ages, they probably have excess stock to burn up. SE's 5spd gearing is much closer and has fewer holes from a roll. Much more suited for performance types.

BTW, engines with incredibly wide powerbands like the VQ don't even really need lots of gears. A peaky Honduh with no torque can use every gear it can get, but with all of the VQ torque, wider gears and fewer of them can actually be to your advantage. Afterall, you want your transmission to spend more time accelerating you than shifting. These 6spd and 7spd auto trannys can be overkill and very "shifty" and annoying. And from what I've read, a lot of the SE-R Spec-V guys don't care for the 6spd. Way overkill in that car and you're always shifting. A 5spd would probably actually be better for them. I think a 5spd auto is the most a VQ would ever need.

"Newer" is not always synonymous with better.
Likewise, "more" is not always synonymous with better either.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
The SL's more relaxed gearing is probably better for cruising and the more laid back driving style of people that would buy the SL that are not really into going fast. Plus since they've been using this tranny for ages, they probably have excess stock to burn up. SE's 5spd gearing is much closer and has fewer holes from a roll. Much more suited for performance types.

BTW, engines with incredibly wide powerbands like the VQ don't even really need lots of gears. A peaky Honduh with no torque can use every gear it can get, but with all of the VQ torque, wider gears and fewer of them can actually be to your advantage. Afterall, you want your transmission to spend more time accelerating you than shifting. These 6spd and 7spd auto trannys can be overkill and very "shifty" and annoying. And from what I've read, a lot of the SE-R Spec-V guys don't care for the 6spd. Way overkill in that car and you're always shifting. A 5spd would probably actually be better for them. I think a 5spd auto is the most a VQ would ever need.

That's interesting because how long has the 6th gen been out, and I never noticed until today. I bet many 2k4 Max buyers don't even know, and possibly wouldn't even notice if they drove both autos.

I have to admit, I want that SMG sight unseen. I have not driven my aunt's 2k2 M3 which has it. I have, however, driven the 95 M3 5-spd. My buddy who is in the BMWCCA drives every BMW, incl. the X3 already which he said su***, asked me why I want SMG so badly. My answer? Latest Greatest!!
Old 12-09-2003, 04:50 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

The SMG that is in the current M3 is the total bomb! I've never felt anything shift so fast in my entire life...

There's no way I can shift as fast as the fastest setting for the M3...damn it!
Old 12-10-2003, 06:37 AM

Well said and true!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:21 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Amen to that. I constantly have to say that to customers who want their ish replaced with something new. After saying that I have to justify with the fact that we have to know why the original wasn't optimized and determine whether an engineering change is in order or if they just got a defective unit. I have a customer running microcode on 3-year-old drives that has never had a problem. Some say that I have to get them updated to the latest whizz bang code but I'm like, - that ish sucks.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Prime example of older and less being better.

The 4th gen.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:33 PM

The 4AT definately has a softer shift feel compared with the 5AT where it has a nice jolt during the 1-2 shift (which I like very much)