General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Super Charger Question Guys.. Is It Really A Easy Bolton OR What?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2000, 12:08 PM

I Work on my own car, pritty much Besides takeing the Engine apart I can fix all other types of problems. I can take the Engine Apart too but I don't wanna drop that thing on me ... What my question is for the guys who have installed a S/C .. Is it really hard or can someone who knows his way under the hood can install it? A friend of mine was telling me he installed it in his Miata and it had all the instructions on how to put it in? is that The same for Stillen Super Charger or things are harder on the Maxima?
Old 09-19-2000, 12:15 PM
I'm needing a caw

Have someone post the instructions->

That would give you the best idea if you can do it or not. I probably could but I would say if you can do a clutch job, you probably could do this.
Old 09-19-2000, 12:23 PM

SC instructions

Cheston has the Maxima Spercharger instructions posted on his site.

http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~cchiu1/
Old 09-19-2000, 12:24 PM

Go to the SoCal site they have the S/C

instructions scanned there for 4th gens.
Old 09-19-2000, 12:53 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by PIONEER
I Work on my own car, pritty much Besides takeing the Engine apart I can fix all other types of problems. I can take the Engine Apart too but I don't wanna drop that thing on me ... What my question is for the guys who have installed a S/C .. Is it really hard or can someone who knows his way under the hood can install it? A friend of mine was telling me he installed it in his Miata and it had all the instructions on how to put it in? is that The same for Stillen Super Charger or things are harder on the Maxima?
i think the tough part is drilling the oil pan for the oil line return. you have to drill correctly so it doesn't break anything inside and not to get any crap inside the pan either.
then there's that part where u need to grind some meat off the alternator..
but with enough time i'm sure u can put one it...but the worst part is tuning it...good luck
Dan
Old 09-19-2000, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by DanNY
Dan
Grind some Meat.. talk to me boys. what Am I Grinding?

See I can get a S/C but I'm afread that crap is gonna need more Loveing and caring then what I give my G/F. I don't wanna have to kiss *** everytime I get in my car if U know what I mean. Just wondering how big of a headache it really is?
Old 09-19-2000, 01:02 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Wow...that's alot of work. There are about 4 spots->

you will need to shave some metal off. Shouldn't be hard if you have a dremal. Don't need to drill a hole in the oil pan. They have a T-Fitting by using existing oil pressure sending unit. I didn't finish reading the instructions, but it's worth the $600 to get someone to install it. I would find someone that done it aleast a few times.

Dan

See I can get a S/C but I'm afread that crap is gonna need more Loveing and caring then what I give my G/F. I don't wanna have to kiss *** everytime I get in my car if U know what I mean. Just wondering how big of a headache it really is?
Old 09-19-2000, 01:13 PM

Re: Wow...that's alot of work. There are about 4 spots->

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
you will need to shave some metal off. Shouldn't be hard if you have a dremal. Don't need to drill a hole in the oil pan. They have a T-Fitting by using existing oil pressure sending unit. I didn't finish reading the instructions, but it's worth the $600 to get someone to install it. I would find someone that done it aleast a few times.
Anyone in the DC, VA,NC area Tony? Who's gonna take care of it when it breaks? I just wanna be prepaired just incase..
Old 09-19-2000, 07:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If I were you, I'd wait until...

....some of the problems with the V2 kit have been worked out. Installing a V2 kit on a 5th gen is a double whammy.

Research I've been doing to prepare for a 2nd article I'm doing on the SC (see link to the first one below), has lead me to speak with several 4th & 5th gen owners installing both V1 and V2 kits and ALL the V2 owners had grief of one kind or another.

The V1 kit is in fact a direct bolt on installation. I don't know what drilling you're talking about in previous posts but that did not apply to my install (a V1 kit on a 4th gen). The oil drains back into the block from the SC through a hose that is connected to a nipple mounted to a plate that replaces a blank plate on the side of the block. I'm not sure what the original purpose of this plate was...maybe an access panel of some kind. I'll try to take some pics of this if I can.

Jim

[Edited by JJW95SC on 09-19-2000 at 10:25 PM]
Old 09-19-2000, 07:13 PM

Re: I second that statement!!! Just wait awhile until they get all the bugs out.n/m

Originally posted by JJW95SC
....some of the problems with the V2 kit have been worked out. Installing a V2 kit on a 5th gen is a double whammy.

Research I've been doing to prepare for a 2nd article I'm doing on the SC (see link to the first one below), has lead me to speak with several 4th & 5th gen owners installnig both V1 and V2 kits and ALL the V2 owners had grief of one kind or another.

The V1 kit is in fact a direct bolt on installation. I don't know what drilling you're talking about in previous posts but that did not apply to my install (a V1 kit on a 4th gen). The oil drains back into the block from the SC through a hose that is connected to a nipple mounted to a plate that replaces a blank plate on the side of the block. I'm not sure what the original purpose of this plate was...maybe an access panel of some kind. I'll try to take some pics of this if I can.

Jim
Old 09-19-2000, 08:17 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Wow...that's alot of work. There are about 4 spots->

Dan

well the T you plumb to the oil sensor unit is the feed line. the drain line goes back to the pan..(well the older ones went back to a hole in the pan)....i dunno about the newer ones..maybe JJW got a newer version.
but i know i seen somewhere you plumb the drain oil back to the pan somewhere..i don't recommend feeding it back to the engine...(just my $.02) i'll look at the directions tomorrow.
Dan
Old 09-19-2000, 08:23 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Wow...that's alot of work. There are about 4 spots->

Anyone in the DC, VA,NC area Tony? Who's gonna take care of it when it breaks? I just wanna be prepaired just incase..
well what do u think will break?
i mean once u go boost and IF* something breaks it's going to hurt your wallet.
the normal wear and tear on the belt will increase and if the belt does break you'll have to take the SC out to replace it. if the SC was manufactured correctly nothing should really break....but u never know.
Dan
Old 09-19-2000, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Wow...that's alot of work. There are about 4 spots->

well what do u think will break?
i mean once u go boost and IF* something breaks it's going to hurt your wallet.
the normal wear and tear on the belt will increase and if the belt does break you'll have to take the SC out to replace it. if the SC was manufactured correctly nothing should really break....but u never know.
Dan

My kit was not new. It was first installed in the original owner's car in late 1998 or early 1999 I believe. Long timers on this board will remember the great deal on got on the charger used.

I remember this oil return plate distinctly because of the problem we had with it. Initially the nipple on this plate (that served to return oil to the engine) was smaller than the nipple on the SC. The hose clamps would eventually chew through the hose around the too-small nipple and it would burst. Shortly after we discovered this problem, Stillen released a replacement part that had the same size nipple at both ends, solving the problem.

Jim