General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need opinions on which y-pipe to get

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 10:44 PM

Need opinions on which y-pipe to get

I'm looking for the best quality with the least amount of problems for my '00 SE. I don't know of any other company to go with other than Cattman or Stillen. Can I get some inputs on the quality of these two and which will be the better buy? i understand the gains will roughly be the same out of both, so i'm not really worried about that, or noise. I had quite the loud fart pipe on my accord. I'm looking for something different on the max. Does anyone have a y-pipe, with 2.5" pipes, and stock muffler? any sound clips?
thanks for the help. I'm sure this has been discussed a million times, but I can't use search, since I haven't donated yet. Sorry fellas.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Best quality regardless of price, I'd say Stillen.
-Cyrus
Old 12-12-2003, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Vyrus
Best quality regardless of price, I'd say Stillen.
-Cyrus
You have to be joking. The cattman beats it hands down. Stillen's isn't even stainless steel, and can suffer from flex section leakage.

If you've ever talked to Brian Catts, you'll know the quality he puts into every part he builds. He uses the most expensive flex sections, very high quality welding, and nothing but stainless steel all through.

Trust me, I have a Stillen pipe, and I would have been much better off with a cattman if I didn't get mine for the low price that I did. Fortunately I don't live anywhere near snow or it would have rusted off by now.

More info:
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?MaximaYpipes

And for sound, imagine your stock exhaust 2x louder. Very very quiet still, just a small rumble.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:55 AM

That rumble is what I'm looking for. I'm getting ready to move back to NH and I want my mods to be as low key as possible. If not, I'd be all over the Evo II exhaust. Thanks for the input on the rusting issue. There is a lot of salt thrown down up there, and I don't want to be stuck buying another y-pipe in another year or two.
Thanks a lot. Any more info would be great.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:01 AM

IMO, Cattman, I love the subtle rumble.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Pizda Boy

getting anything besides a budget y-pipe is silly. They are all the same.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:45 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by Darth Vader
IMO, Cattman, I love the subtle rumble.
no other y-pipe has the quality of a cattman...

Old 12-12-2003, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
getting anything besides a budget y-pipe is silly. They are all the same.
It was noted that budget doesn't use stainless steel in every single part of their y-pipe. Members have had sections of their pipes rust, mostly near the collector joint which is believed not not be stainless steel.

Old 12-12-2003, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by drewm
It was noted that budget doesn't use stainless steel in every single part of their y-pipe. Members have had sections of their pipes rust, mostly near the collector joint which is believed not not be stainless steel.

I believe budget corrected that problem. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it is all aluminized now.

As for the Stillen, I would have said Cattman but ever since their flex section problems I have been hesitant. Yes Brian Catts was very good about it and replaced every one, but nonetheless it was a PITA for many members who had to take it off, pay shipping charges, and reinstall.

-Cyrus
Old 12-12-2003, 10:31 PM

Has the flex section issue been fixed in production yet? i'm leaning more toward the cattman anyway. the stainless steel is what i'm looking for. thanks for the help guys. i'll let you know how it works out for me.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:33 PM
SXN

if price isnt an issue, cattman. if you need something affordable too, go with budget