General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Courtesy B-Pipe modified !! - Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2000, 12:53 PM

I took my car to KOOKS Custom Headers in Bay Shore and had them modify my Courtesy B-Pipe such that the restrictive extension piece for 4th-gen Maximas without an O2 sensor behind the cat is no longer necessary. Those of you who have been keeping up with my web site know that I installed the Courtesy pipe about a month ago and had intended on getting the OEM extension remanufactured. Well, I went one better and had the entire Courtesy B-Pipe modified. KOOKS did an incredible job.

Check out the install pictures at:

http://grprete.jnet.net/Greg's%20Gar...Pipe%20Fix.htm

Greg
MOM - September 2000

Old 09-19-2000, 01:12 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Kooks is the place I have been looking for ->

They can actually do mandrel bent tubing!!!! It's still pretty far from me. Greg, you have been holding out. How did you find these guys. The price sounds great. I wonder how much they charge for a custom catback. Do you think they can do a header for the Maxima? I know...my exhaust is getting to the point it's way too loud. Anyway, can you find out if they can to headers for the Maxima.

Originally posted by GregP

I took my car to KOOKS Custom Headers in Bay Shore and had them modify my Courtesy B-Pipe such that the restrictive extension piece for 4th-gen Maximas without an O2 sensor behind the cat is no longer necessary. Those of you who have been keeping up with my web site know that I installed the Courtesy pipe about a month ago and had intended on getting the OEM extension remanufactured. Well, I went one better and had the entire Courtesy B-Pipe modified. KOOKS did an incredible job.

Check out the install pictures at:

http://grprete.jnet.net/Greg's%20Gar...Pipe%20Fix.htm

Greg
MOM - September 2000

Old 09-19-2000, 01:19 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Looks real nice.....

That shop did a great job. Now tell me this, can you tell a difference in power? I noticed increased low end torque and better power from idle to 5000 rpms....which is wierd because most exhausts add top end. When I installed my B-pipe, I put on my straight extension pipe so I don't know what it would have felt like with the knuckled extension pipe.

Dave
Old 09-19-2000, 02:04 PM

That is nice

Looks nice and straight
Old 09-19-2000, 06:06 PM

1MAX2NV - response....

I didn't ask them directly, but I talked with Mr. Kook (pronounced "cook") and judging from what I saw in the shop I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that KOOKS could build an extremely high quality (and expensive) set of headers for the Maxima.

KOOKS was recommended to me from two independent sources when I was on a quest for a shop like theirs: One source was Unorthodox Racing, who has done some work for me in the past, and the other was a local SK-Speed.

Check out http://www.kookscustomheaders.com, and look at some of their masterpieces....

Old 09-19-2000, 06:23 PM

Reply to Dave B

Yes, I definitely noticed a difference with the straight piece as opposed to the silly knuckled piece, and I have been driving around with the "knuckle" for almost a month now, so I am used to how the car feels.

It may seems strange to some that a 6-inch piece can have such a dramatic effect on power, but when you look at how the inside of that knuckle is formed it is a little easier to swallow.

FWIW, the KOOKS guys looked at my Cattman stainless steel Y-Pipe and even they were impressed with the pipe, and specifically the owner commented that the welds were done by a 'professional'. I have no dount that KOOKS could very easily do an entire custom exhaust for the Maxima. No doubt at all. These guys primarily work building race cars, and rarely see little-old private clients such as myself, but they will take care of anyone who pays.

Their labor rate of $75/hour is fair, plus materials. The labor was 1.5 hours for my pipe, and the total came to $140 plus tax.

Old 09-19-2000, 06:36 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

Nice Job... I guess racing season is over

for Kooks... You have more patience than I do... I couldn't wait.
Old 09-19-2000, 06:43 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

have you thought about doing a custom Bpipe all together?

you spent $140 on fixing it, and retail price for the courtesy bpipe is $170ish *ithink*

so that's like $310 for a bpipe.

you coulda saved your time and gotten the custom Bpipe 2.5" done for like $250ish... well. i'd like to see myself getting the bpipe, but i dont want my car louder than it already is..
Old 09-19-2000, 09:31 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Chebosto

The Courtesy B-pipe is $189 plus shipping. Greg chose to have the B-pipe fabricated with stainless steel, so it cost a good bit more because the shop had to remove the pipe, cut the pipe, cut new pipe, weld on new pipe, and install the B-pipe. Lots of labor was involved.

I took a different route. I went to a shop and had them make a 6" extension out of aluminzed pipe. It took them 2 minutes to make and it cost me $20 including two gaskets. So I spent about $215 for everything.

There would be no way you could find a shop that will mandrel bend very thick 2.5" stainless pipe, with a resonator, and guarantee that it will fit for under $300. You'd be served just buying the perfect fitting B-pipe and spend $20 for an extension pipe.

Dave
Old 09-20-2000, 03:39 AM

Chebosto....

I guess when you add it all up, I spent quite a bit on the B-Pipe!! (I try not to think about it). But it was a learning experience! I think what I have is very good - maybe a custom B-Pipe could have been done for close to the same, I don't know.

Old 09-20-2000, 10:21 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

hhhmmm.. good point Dave..

but i know a shop here in LA that does mandrel bend, and did SRKwan's 3" bpipe for like 250ish... but not SS...

yeah.. well. how much louder is it? do you have an aftermarket muff?

k thanks.

Old 09-20-2000, 10:42 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: 1MAX2NV - response....

Do you have an idea how expensive SS headers will be for the Maxima? I send Kook an e-mail. Tried to call them, but lines were busy. Since race season is pretty much done on the east coast, I wonder if they are willing to do some R&D work on Maxima headers. I wish I was closer to them.

Originally posted by GregP

I didn't ask them directly, but I talked with Mr. Kook (pronounced "cook") and judging from what I saw in the shop I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that KOOKS could build an extremely high quality (and expensive) set of headers for the Maxima.

KOOKS was recommended to me from two independent sources when I was on a quest for a shop like theirs: One source was Unorthodox Racing, who has done some work for me in the past, and the other was a local SK-Speed.

Check out http://www.kookscustomheaders.com, and look at some of their masterpieces....

Old 09-20-2000, 04:38 PM

Reply 1MAX2NV

I didn't think to ask them about headers when I was there.
I wouldn't even be able to guess how much they would want for headers, but their labor rate is $75/hour - so figure it out. It isn't pretty!!

If you call them again, ask for a guy named "Red". He is the one who set me up with the Maxima, and he will remember me. He is not the owner, but he runs the shop.