General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

*pictures* Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid - Secret is out

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 09:59 AM

this new addition to the max community will be greatly appreciated....the c/f is off the hesssy!!!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 10:02 AM

Reason for the sealent question is because CF is very sensitive to UV rays(can come from the sun to even the indoor flourecent lights). Its not the ability of the composites or resins to bond properly that keeps this from happening. In order to minumize(sp) the effects of the damage the CF needs to be sealed properly. I've seen some CF hoods that are starting to turn milky because of this. There are many different ways to seal CF and i don't claim to know of them all, your guys would know better than i(i hope). I would just hate to see you all go through this hard work only to have to replace product down the road.
This leads me to my next question. How long is the warranty on this lid for, and what does it cover?

Yes i understand the cost of useing an autoclave, just wanted to know the production method. At the very least useing a production method which introduces the part under vacuum would yeild a much more consistant and durable product as opposed to just hand layed to dry.

Please don't think i'm trying to knock your efforts. I'm trying to bring up some questions that are hardly ever asked, yet need to be in order to protect the consumer down the road. It takes great courage and effort to try to bring something to us finicky cry babies and i hope for the best for everyone invovled(buyers and sellers).
Old 12-29-2003, 12:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

would this keyless CF trunk pose any problems to the automatic release in the trunk? If not, then I'm just waiting for the group deal to get one of these bad boys.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:33 PM

Hey thats pretty sweet, so when will there be one avalible for the 5th gen. If you want, i'll get a couple of people together to buy them
Old 12-30-2003, 07:02 PM

I don't see how it would. I had the keyhole in my trunk shaved and the cylinder removed. No problems with the trunk solenoid. Can still use keyless entry, trunk button in the car to open. As long as the mounting point for the trunk latch lines up, it should be fine.

Originally Posted by takentomax
would this keyless CF trunk pose any problems to the automatic release in the trunk? If not, then I'm just waiting for the group deal to get one of these bad boys.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=slammed95]CF is not sensitive to UV rays, it's the resin being used. Epoxy resins tend to turn yellow, and some polyesters, with vinyl ester usually the most resistant. There are special UV resistant clear gel coats, which I think is used for these trunk lids. QUOTE]

You very well could be right as i do not know everything about CF. If you have a small piece of CF lying around could you maybe do an experiment for me? Or if you don't want to i'll do it if you send me a small 2x2 square. I would like to know what the fibers would look like after sitting out in the sun for a month or two. I know its sounds like a long time just to find out if it turns or not, but i have a feeling that it will in fact start to take on a silverish or white haze to it.

Not highjacking, promise. TTT
Old 12-31-2003, 01:13 PM

I was speaking of the fabric itself in raw form, but its good to know that you have some quality work on your roof.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

After much delay, the trunk lid should be here next week, providing customs doesn't mess with it.

5th generation feeler thread will go up next week, and 3rd gens haven't had too much response. I will add a link to the group buy thread once it's up.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by thebigsadler
3rd gens haven't had too much response.
Better start making the 4th gen ones instead.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:32 PM

I have gotten about 4 to 5 people that will do it. I have talked to them and posted a thread. I will do it again.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:08 PM
Father of the 00 VI

After much delay, the trunk lid should be here next week, providing customs doesn't mess with it.

5th generation feeler thread will go up next week, and 3rd gens haven't had too much response. I will add a link to the group buy thread once it's up.
Im sorry to get offtopic but has anyone ever thought of making a carbon fiber piece for the sunroof, what i mean is take out the glass and put a nice piece of carbon fiber in. Who looks out their sunroof with it closed anyways. I think it will look great and would save alittle weight.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:20 PM

Not sure how many people would be interested in seeing a carbon fiber insert in the roof, might look a little odd. Nice to see some innovation.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
Im sorry to get offtopic but has anyone ever thought of making a carbon fiber piece for the sunroof, what i mean is take out the glass and put a nice piece of carbon fiber in. Who looks out their sunroof with it closed anyways. I think it will look great and would save alittle weight.
My brother had this done on his dsm. He removed it about a week after having it on...It does look odd, IMHO. I wish I would have had my digicam back then to take some pics to show you.

-Nick
Old 01-05-2004, 02:42 PM

where's it comming from mexico?

youre not stuffing anything in the frame cavities are you?

j/k
Old 01-05-2004, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
where's it comming from mexico?

youre not stuffing anything in the frame cavities are you?

j/k
hahaha, such a kidder this guy.. should be here tomorrow so says jose, we shall see. you never know with all these hightened customs and terror alerts.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:46 PM

good work.. it looks hot
Old 01-05-2004, 09:50 PM
The original VQ...

Looks good. any pics of it on a car yet?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:28 PM

who loves customs and high terror alert??? i do i do.

should be here tomorrow, and I will have it on with pictures!
Old 01-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Banned

well i guess that pathfinder that backed into my max is a good thing....time to buy a CF trunk. start the group deal already! i don't need pics i need a new trunk
Old 01-10-2004, 12:05 AM

i'm definately down for a 5th gen... i'll even front the money if u want....but i need a definate eta on it....
Old 01-10-2004, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by theblue
good work.. it looks hot
i like the headlights, very subtle
Old 01-12-2004, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by myktek
i'm definately down for a 5th gen... i'll even front the money if u want....but i need a definate eta on it....
Hell ya i'm down for it too...
Old 01-12-2004, 07:36 PM

Well it has finally come, group deal will be brought up tomorrow. Here is a teaser, and I mean TEASER:

Old 01-12-2004, 08:02 PM
I need a truck

MMMMMMMMMMM carbon fiber MMMMMMMMMMM

Time for that 97-99 conversion
Old 03-03-2004, 02:38 PM

It was brought to my attention that I didn't ever post pictures of this installed during the daytime.. I also am showing the pictures I took with my camera phone the other day after I readjusted the trunk lid and made it line up perfectly.

It's really okay for people to buy these trunklids I swear. I am having 5th gen lids made as we speak (4 people went in on the deal, we could always use more). And there are 4th gen lids in stock and ready to ship.

These are the most recent, FIXED trunk lid pictures.

Old 03-03-2004, 02:44 PM

looks good. Lined up nicely too.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:49 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Left side doesn't look like it lines up perfectly to me.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:33 PM

i miss seeing my car..........................
Old 03-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Not sure how many people would be interested in seeing a carbon fiber insert in the roof, might look a little odd. Nice to see some innovation.

have no idea how this would work, but im for sure in on this one ! how much weight savings would we be talking about. Im unsure of how much the sunroof glass weighs ? im sure only some fools and cf freaks would actually do this !

then again im not sure how much the glass weighs
Old 03-03-2004, 04:54 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
have no idea how this would work, but im for sure in on this one ! how much weight savings would we be talking about. Im unsure of how much the sunroof glass weighs ? im sure only some fools and cf freaks would actually do this !

then again im not sure how much the glass weighs
Yeah I want a carbon fiber piece not fiber glass. I think it would look nice and save about 8-10 lbs
Old 03-03-2004, 07:42 PM
I miss the .org!

Originally Posted by broaner22
Left side doesn't look like it lines up perfectly to me.
Hate to say it, but you're not alone...
Old 03-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

For an aftermarket body part, I would consider that a perfect fit.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:50 PM
UCF Lexus

What about those who need/have/want spoilers?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:08 PM

I would like everyone on here who says that it doesn't look perfect to do me a favor and this weekend take off your stock trunk lid, remove all the parts (latch, tails, wiring, bolts, etc) and then put it all back on... Let me know how it comes out.

Obviously the stock piece should come right back together, but I think some of you will run into a couple issues here and there and realize that something about 1/16-1/8" off is not a huge concern or something that you are going to continue to try to eliminate. The only reason anyone sees a gap is because it has been pointed out.

I do not see the carbon fiber sunroof going through. The trunk lid hasn't been nearly as successful as I had hoped and I don't want to take on any more projects. I would be glad to put you in touch with Jose at Ionic Dynamics about making custom pieces.

Don't take this post as an attack on anyone, I am just simply trying to get people to realize what goes on in taking something completely apart and trying to put it back to stock when it was not made to come apart.

jason
Old 03-03-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by bijan gxe
What about those who need/have/want spoilers?
Same process if you had a stock trunk lid, however drilling into fiberglass just takes more patience and makes more mess. Pilot holes and measuring twice are the keys to drilling fiberglass, after that grab a uni-bit and go slow..
Old 03-03-2004, 08:15 PM
The original VQ...

I have seen the trunk in person now, and it looks good but the quality is not $780 worth, there is a few minor things that i saw dont line up and it sits high in the back part. Maybe its cause im cheap but i would pay 780$ for that quality. Still looks good tho, maybe its just not my type.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:25 PM
UCF Lexus

Same process if you had a stock trunk lid, however drilling into fiberglass just takes more patience and makes more mess. Pilot holes and measuring twice are the keys to drilling fiberglass, after that grab a uni-bit and go slow..

But, will the spoiler be CF too? Same price?
Old 03-04-2004, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by bijan gxe
But, will the spoiler be CF too? Same price?
you would have to send them your spoiler to be duplicated in carbon fiber and no it wouldnt be the same price. more materials, more tooling, etc. if you're not willing to spend the extra cash to get a cf spoiler, just paint yours black or graphite and be happy
Old 03-04-2004, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I have seen the trunk in person now, and it looks good but the quality is not $780 worth, there is a few minor things that i saw dont line up and it sits high in the back part. Maybe its cause im cheap but i would pay 780$ for that quality. Still looks good tho, maybe its just not my type.
Do you know if it was installed correctly? You have to bank on going off of what someone says who has had practice and spent many man hours uninstalling and reinstalling trunk lids.

That is like saying that a stillen lip kit looks bad because someone didn't bolt it on the sides of the fenders, they just put a screw in the front and tried to use double-sticky tape. Or that someone put in a cold air intake, but didnt have a hole saw so they used pliers to pull the metal apart. You get what I am saying? You can't gauge the fitament off someone's car who is installing this for the first time.

I have proven myself time and time again, with up close pictures and going back and spending time realigning things to get it just right... From now on, why doesn't everybody who wants something done custom, or has an innovative idea just do it themselves. I am tired of trying to support this community, especially 4th gens. I guess this is my own little pity party..
Old 03-04-2004, 08:19 AM
Old Maxima Legend

sadler i appreciate what you are doing man. people may worry about this and that, and i understand their concerns.

the thing is a good custom body shop could put the trunk on in their sleep.

my 2 cents

Quick Reply: *pictures* Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid - Secret is out