General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Downsides to fuel pump coming on in the on position?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 07:32 AM
Ford Only.

Downsides to fuel pump coming on in the on position?

I still cannot get my fuel pump to get juice, any downsides to rigging it up to come on when the key is in the on position?
Old 12-18-2003, 07:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dmontzmax
I still cannot get my fuel pump to get juice, any downsides to rigging it up to come on when the key is in the on position?
If you have a large leak, like a split hose, the engine will die but the pump will continue to drain the tank. Might be bad in the case of an accident.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:46 AM
STFU n00b!

Ummmm, the pump is supposed to come on when the key is in the on position.... :shrug:

but no, I wouldn't "rig" it.. find the problem and fix it. fuel isn't something you want to screw around with.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Ummmm, the pump is supposed to come on when the key is in the on position.... :shrug:

but no, I wouldn't "rig" it.. find the problem and fix it. fuel isn't something you want to screw around with.
Yes, it comes on momentarily to build up pressure when starting, but if the engine is not running it will eventually stop after a couple of seconds. I believe dmont was talking about rigging the fuel pump so that it stays on as long as the ignition is in the on position. I would be concerned about a fire hazard in case of an accident.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:08 AM
STFU n00b!

That's why I said not to rig it..

otherwise, the pump is running while the engine is running. as you said, it does fire up and stop once it builds pressure in the system, but once you start the engine, it runs all the time after that.. the reglator simply sends fuel back to the tank that the engine doesn't use (which is also how it regulates pressure).

for the non-shutoff reason, I wouln't recommend rigging it... there's only a couple wires involved in the fuel pump, so it can't be too hard to trace down.

Donald, have you checked the relay in the trunk yet?
Old 12-18-2003, 08:59 AM
Jedi Knight

Don,

You and I spoke about this, and I think that I may have been the one to put this idea into your head. Everyone above is COMPLETELY right, and that is something that I did not consider when we spoke. Don't forget that the power wire for the fuel pump in the 97 is green with orange stripe. I would put an indicator light on the fuel pump end and test that it works...if not...check the relay, and the ENG CONT fuse. Oh...and I may have come up with the reason why the car is not starting with both ECUs.

Note that if you remove the shifter trim there is a cable laying in there...kinda thick and I forget what its called. It must be pulled thus "telling" the car that its in Neutral/Park to start. Try and and let me know...

O
Old 12-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by nupe500
Don,

You and I spoke about this, and I think that I may have been the one to put this idea into your head. Everyone above is COMPLETELY right, and that is something that I did not consider when we spoke. Don't forget that the power wire for the fuel pump in the 97 is green with orange stripe. I would put an indicator light on the fuel pump end and test that it works...if not...check the relay, and the ENG CONT fuse. Oh...and I may have come up with the reason why the car is not starting with both ECUs.

Note that if you remove the shifter trim there is a cable laying in there...kinda thick and I forget what its called. It must be pulled thus "telling" the car that its in Neutral/Park to start. Try and and let me know...

O
Yeah, you are

The thing is I didnt rig it but hooked up the fuel pump directly to the battery charger for constant juice then tried firing it and nothing. I dont have a Chilton's and do not know where the relay is.

Matt, is that where the fuel pump relay is? do you know where in the trunk?