General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Broke and Busy

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 10:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Broke and Busy

Okay, I'm a student, so I'm broke and extremely busy. I need a place to take my Maxima since it decided it didn't want to start anymore. Assuming that it isn't the battery, which I'm going to try to check this Saturday, I need some advice on a dependable place that won't take away my ability to eat three meals a day... Any suggestions?

We miss you cat:
http://www.islamtomorrow.net/converts/yusuf_islam.htm
Old 12-28-2003, 11:29 PM

What exactly is it doing? do any of the lights work? is there any power at all to the car? If it's something like that, it's the battery. Good luck if it's not. I have no idea beyond that.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:59 AM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if nothing happens, it is the battery. if it clicks but wont start, that could be the battery or starter (more likely battery) if it has full juice and everything works BUT the starter, it is a starter problem.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:31 AM

Give it a jump and take it to AutoZone for free testing of the battery, starter, and alternator There might also be small shops in your city that give free estimates or something
Old 12-29-2003, 08:15 PM
SXN

autozone is your best bet. some kragens run the tests for free too, but others dont, call around
Old 12-30-2003, 03:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes it’s the battery but also I have a major problem with my Maxima. It was involved in an accident some time ago and has been to several Centers to be repaired.

The car has massive 'over-steer'. The first 30 degrees turn in the wheel do little if nothing at all. If I hit a pothole or curb the wheels will move in whatever direction they choose. If I break hard the wheels will also pitch in whatever direction, regardless of camber on the road. This causes a massive steering problem. Has anyone any ideas?
I am getting no joy from Maxima and really need some help. A maxima mobile technician drove the car and admits there is a problem, but nobody can seem to find it!!!

We miss you cat:
Old 12-30-2003, 09:59 AM
Banned

Take it to a frame master and have your frame mesured and verified!! Maybe your frame have been damage a bit!! It doesn't take that much to create big problem in the steering!!
Old 12-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rinard
Yes it’s the battery but also I have a major problem with my Maxima. It was involved in an accident some time ago and has been to several Centers to be repaired.

The car has massive 'over-steer'. The first 30 degrees turn in the wheel do little if nothing at all. If I hit a pothole or curb the wheels will move in whatever direction they choose. If I break hard the wheels will also pitch in whatever direction, regardless of camber on the road. This causes a massive steering problem. Has anyone any ideas?
I am getting no joy from Maxima and really need some help. A maxima mobile technician drove the car and admits there is a problem, but nobody can seem to find it!!!
Woaaa...thats not safe at all. I would suggest do NOT drive your car for your own safety and the safety of others. Not only that, if you get into an accident and your car is not street legal becuase of repairs, the accident will be your fault.

Not to pick but if you turn the wheel and it doesnt do anything thats called "understeer"

I would say that you probably have a bent tie-rod...maybe a broken ball joint and some other mechanical linkage in your steering system is messed up. Depending on what they find...it could be maybe a few $100 or you may be looking up into the $1000's.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by G20Flyer
Woaaa...thats not safe at all. I would suggest do NOT drive your car for your own safety and the safety of others. Not only that, if you get into an accident and your car is not street legal becuase of repairs, the accident will be your fault.

Not to pick but if you turn the wheel and it doesnt do anything thats called "understeer"

I would say that you probably have a bent tie-rod...maybe a broken ball joint and some other mechanical linkage in your steering system is messed up. Depending on what they find...it could be maybe a few $100 or you may be looking up into the $1000's.
There aren't a lot of facts given, but a car that wont start and is not driveable, isn't that what they call totalled in the insurance business? The poster is in NY, NY? There are one trillion and one auto repair places there, I'd get an unlimited ride MTA card and talk to some shops face-to-face. Then tow the car to the shop. But students should be worried about grades, then chicks, not a car, especially in Manhattan--you don't need a car there. but that's my .02 good luck
Old 12-30-2003, 10:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you all

We miss you cat:
Old 12-30-2003, 11:24 PM
SXN

stop posting the annoying Cat Stevens link. make it your signature if you want to...
Old 12-31-2003, 06:49 AM

with the car comes the chick
girls dont like to ride on the mta