General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Any automatic owners with fill eng/trans mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Any automatic owners with fill eng/trans mounts?

Recently I filled all four (two eng, two trans) of my mounts with polyurethane and I was curious to know what's your opinion. No need to preach how long filling mounts have been around. Sometimes it takes longer for some to actually do a mod regardless of how popular it is. I was getting a bang when putting the trans in reverse. Sure enough one of my engine mounts were completed busted, the other engine mount was crack but not busted and my two tranny mounts were still good. All these mounts are all original with over 130K miles.

So I bought some poly stuff and filled all four mounts. Actually it was five mounts because one of the tranny mounts is a two-piece mount. After waiting a week for them to cure I installed the mounts. Immediately after installing and starting the car I can feel the increase vibration, WTF that's not good for me. I need a more comfortable daily driver. It's one of those things after modding our cars you can't expect it to drive as comfortable as it once did, depending on the mod you installed. BUT on the same hand I have to say the increase throttle reponse is to die for. I know I had busted mounts but I don't think the throttle response would be a same even if I installed all new OEM rubber mounts.

For you auto guys who visit the .25mi track on a regular basis this is definately a mod you should consider, if you can deal with more vibration on a daily basis. Now I'm aware that vibration can be caused my various things, but I keep my engine in pretty good condition so don't mention spark plugs, fuel filter, etc.

So in order to find a happy spot between excellent throttle response and everyday drivability I re-installed my two OEM tranny mounts and left the two filled engine mounts. The vibration decreased a lot (but still slightly there) and the response is still improved compared to all rubber mounts.

If I had a manual tranny (or any other manual tranny car I might own in the future) I will defiantely fill every single mount before doing any go-fast mods.

So for you auto guys who have filled mounts how was your experience with them?
Old 12-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Technically you shouldve only filled the front and rear engine mounts. No need to fill the passenger side engine mount and the tranny mount.

When you say 5th mount which is a two piece tranny mount, what you talking about there? The auto and the manual both have only one mount at the top of the tranny. Thats all. Basically 4 mounts in total supporting the engine/tranny.

With the front and rear filled the vibration is minimal, not excessive, but its there. Obviously you are going to get that with a harder mount, cant do anything about it. Well if you used a slightly less hardness poly then it wouldve been less.

Dixit
Old 12-29-2003, 03:47 PM

Dixit-

not everyone has a VQ

VE's and VG's have the 2 engine mounts on the cross member, then 2 mounts on the tranny (drivers side), we have no passanger side mount

btw do you still have the poly mounts on your car? I cant remember

Mike- What brand polyeurothane did you use? I need to do this to my car and have been thinking about just using some home depot caulking window sealer or something.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:11 PM

I filled my manual mounts (front and rear) with 90 durometer urethane. The vibration at idle is very noticable and the wheel hop is very, very bad. I don't even wanna know how bad the hop would be without the mounts. I was auto before so I have nothing to compare the urethane mounts too as manual.

I guess it's the summer tires in cold weather that's causing all the hop.

-Tony
Old 12-29-2003, 04:54 PM
I'm needing a caw

You mean the 3M window weld? IMHO it's not hard enough. Home Depot caulk is even worse.

Originally Posted by MrGone
Dixit-
Mike- What brand polyeurothane did you use? I need to do this to my car and have been thinking about just using some home depot caulking window sealer or something.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:39 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by MrGone
Dixit- not everyone has a VQ VE's and VG's have the 2 engine mounts on the cross member, then 2 mounts on the tranny (drivers side), we have no passanger side mount btw do you still have the poly mounts on your car? I cant remember Mike- What brand polyeurothane did you use? I need to do this to my car and have been thinking about just using some home depot caulking window sealer or something.
Thanks for clearing that up for me, becasue he sure did loose me with his mount location. I cant remember the exact poly stuff I used but it was #80 hardness.

Dixit since you asked this is the two piece tranny mount I was refering to

I think one piece might be called a torsion mount while the other is a trannt mount, not too sure.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:26 AM

Interesting piece that is. But Mr.Gone mentions no passenger side mount, so technically isnt that still 4 mounts?

Dixit
Old 12-30-2003, 11:57 AM

I think there might be some rubber on those two little 'arm' things that stick out (outside parts that hold the mount up... bolt goes threw, blah blah blah). I think thats why he was saying 4/5 mounts, but yeah, it is just 4 mounts, and man the auto mounts are different compared to the 5spd ones
Old 12-30-2003, 02:07 PM

I've got PR poly mounts on the front and rear. I filled the other 2 mounts myself with 3M window weld. My pass. side upper mount was torn so I pulled them off and filled them both. The vibration was bad at first until I bumped the idle up. I hardly even notice it anymore.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:23 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by BSwithTF
I've got PR poly mounts on the front and rear. I filled the other 2 mounts myself with 3M window weld. My pass. side upper mount was torn so I pulled them off and filled them both. The vibration was bad at first until I bumped the idle up. I hardly even notice it anymore.
Yeap, I've always had vibrations while in gear at a stoplight. Until I raised my idle by kicking on the AC or just putting it in N. Something I just deal with. When I filled all my mounts, I didn't get an increase in vibration at all. Just WICKED throttle response.