General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Im getting ready to drive my max off a cliff. The belt sound doesnt stop anymore

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 08:57 AM

Ok guys this SUCKS. I am beyond pissed about this belt (or somthing sound). Heres the story.
Last monday my mom took my car into the shop because she heard this really loud screttching sound when she turned on the car. This had been happening for about a month. I had posted here about it and got some responces. I figured i could just wait till summer and either it would just fix it self or i could fix it. Then a week before my mom took it in, it got BAAAAAAD. So i was happy to hear she took it in, as i was probably going to do the same thing.
So the Nissan Dealer replaces to belts and says that they were put on wrong. Ok, cool. No more scretching. WRONG. The very nexy day its back. Not as bad, but its back.
Now, a few days later its WORSE than before.Usually when the car once hte car warmed up it was perfect. Now, if i turn off the car for a few minutes, and come back it will screetch for a good minute. In fact, it doent matter the engine temp it will screetch regardless.
Usually what would happen is it would screetch when i turned on the car then it would stop. NOW it screetches on start, then after driving it will screetch some more. It really lieks to screetch when i stop at a light and go, and when i turn the wheel hard.
This is REALLY pissing me off. Im going back to the nissan dealer tomorrow and dememending they do somthing about it, but i want to know what you guys think it couldbe. I am so pissed about this its not even funny. This sound wakes up my parents when im leaving at night.
So, HELP! Thank you.
Old 03-04-2001, 09:41 AM
Johnny

had the same problem

Mine was around 37,000 miles (how convenient)--the dealer told me your belts are worn. I figured it was bogus, BUT my belts screeched whenever the car started for the first time every morning. So I figure, what the heck, the belts would probably need replacement at 60K, so I get gyped out of around 20K. The whole thing cost me around $110 (all labor) but the noise has been gone ever since.

Sounds like your noise is from the belts and since you just got it done you're good for 1 year or 12,000 miles. If I remember correctly there were both the drive and maybe PS belts that were replaced so maybe your dealer just did one and the other still screeches? No biggie I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Old 03-04-2001, 09:53 AM

Hmm

Ok, well what the hell. They should have replaced them all. Grr.
Old 03-04-2001, 10:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Have you tried the other suggestions in the replies to your last post about this?

If you're going to drive it off a cliff, can I film it? There's a great cliff on Ocean Drive I always wanted to see a car go over.

/aac

Old 03-04-2001, 11:04 AM

No way

Id drive it off the quoary a few miles from my house and film that. hehehe.
Old 03-04-2001, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by acitrano
Have you tried the other suggestions in the replies to your last post about this?

If you're going to drive it off a cliff, can I film it? There's a great cliff on Ocean Drive I always wanted to see a car go over.

/aac

NOOOOOOOOO ... Ocean Drive dude!! It's like a 300 foot drop to the Atlantic... it would rule. I'll pay $25 to offset expenses.

/aac
Old 03-04-2001, 11:13 AM

Ocean Drive

Is this in portland or saco or somthing? Id like to see it...
If you give me 30 bucks ill do it.... i swear.

Oh, you notice i changed my sig =)
Old 03-04-2001, 11:22 AM

Re: Ocean Drive

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Is this in portland or saco or somthing? Id like to see it...
If you give me 30 bucks ill do it.... i swear.

Oh, you notice i changed my sig =)
No it's in Acadia. Still one of my favorite roads to drive in the US. I grew up in Bar Harbor, so spent a lot of time on those park roads.. wow

/aac
Old 03-04-2001, 11:49 AM

ill have to check that out sometime. I never go up to acadia. I heard that they have big waves up theres somtiems though. Can you confirm that?There arnt too many places to surf here in maine.
Old 03-04-2001, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
ill have to check that out sometime. I never go up to acadia. I heard that they have big waves up theres somtiems though. Can you confirm that?There arnt too many places to surf here in maine.
Yes the waves there can be crazy.

Driving in Acadia, at night, on some of those roads, in the right car with the right music.. is just nothing short of magical...

/aac

Old 03-04-2001, 12:47 PM

How about $5 to drive it off into Bodega Bay?
If you are going to drive it off a cliff make sure you have fluffy airbags.
Old 03-04-2001, 01:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

belt

just tighten up the belt a little bit, new belts break in and need a little adjustment. there is an adjustment thingy in there somewhere. let the mechanics adjust it since you already paid them. im out.
Old 03-04-2001, 08:31 PM

You could try some of those belt sprays they have it the stores.

But if you are going to drive it off a cliff can I get some part's from you first. hehehehehe

Old 03-05-2001, 09:51 AM

Try this....

Get a bar of soap. I found Irish Spring works fine. Make sure your car is turned off and rub the bar of soap on the bottom of the belt. Its gotta be on the part of the belt that contacts the pullies. Rub a lot of it on there and then start up the car and allow the soap to work into the pullies. It should stop making the noise right away if its just the belts.

I found this works better than even belt dressing you buy at the store. Plus it makes your engine bay smell good LOL.

Seriously though, it works!