General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Timing on New engine is not right......

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Ramius83

Timing on New engine is not right......

UPDATE

Ok, I got the friggin' timing chain cover off. Wow, that was time consuming because of the tight space between the engine and the frame of the car.

Anyways, it was a little dark out, but from what I could see, I could see two yellow links on the chain. They were pretty close together, so I do know that they are the camshaft links. And YES, the timing was off BADLY. I would say that the chain jumped a good 10 links for some weird reason. I am not worried at all about any bent valves because the car actually never ran with the timing off, and I have heard NO metal on metal noises when I was turning the engine.

But, my next question is, I was looking around for another marked link on the timing chain for the crankshaft, but I couldn't see one. It may just be the lack of light not letting me see it, but, I guess I will see tomorrow once I have light.

Also, do I have to be careful when moving the chain for any reason, or am I free to move it once the tensioner is removed? Thanks.

Thanks all for helping me on this.

Putting the cover and crap back on is gonna be fun......

Old 01-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

are you sure the timing chain is off? because the tensioner will make lots of noise before oil pressure builds up and the noise will go away.

anyways, if you really have to pull it, there are marks on the timing chain that lets you line it up with the Cam sprockets and crank sprocket. make sure you arent off by 1 tooth. 1 tooth will cause you alot of probs.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Ramius83

Yeah, the timing is definitely off. The front bank cylinders have almost no compression at all when starting the engine. That has to indicate that the timing is off, since the compression was good before the water pump installation.

Also, are there ALSO markings on the actual sprockets and crankshaft to where the marks on the chain go on?

Thanks again Turbo...

Old 01-11-2004, 09:26 PM
STFU n00b!

There are 3 pages in the FSM showing step by step how to line up and install the timing chain.. check the chilton's online manual if you don't have an FSM of your own (by the time you're swapping engines, I'd hope you have SOME sort of reference material laying around)
Old 01-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Ramius83

Yeah, I have the Haynes, but that is it. I do most of it by eye, since it is mostly common sense, but timing I have no idea on.

I did have access to Sprint Max's on his webpage, but it hasn't worked for a while now. Thanks Matt.....

Old 01-11-2004, 09:55 PM
I love lamp.

Not to ruin your day, but if your timing chain is indeed off, I'd be worried about bent valves. Just cuz it has a chain, it's still an interference motor, and if your chain is off enough, you could of very well bent some which could be giving you the almost no compression in the front bank. You could be fine, but I would verify it to make sure. Yes there should be marks on the cams sprockets and crank sprocket, and the chain should have a either a mark or difference color chain link to match up with it.

S
Old 01-12-2004, 05:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximase86
Not to ruin your day, but if your timing chain is indeed off, I'd be worried about bent valves. Just cuz it has a chain, it's still an interference motor, and if your chain is off enough, you could of very well bent some which could be giving you the almost no compression in the front bank. You could be fine, but I would verify it to make sure. Yes there should be marks on the cams sprockets and crank sprocket, and the chain should have a either a mark or difference color chain link to match up with it.

S

I told him the tech said that. How ever his engine has not been started, only turned over a couple of times. Highly doubt his valves bent.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:45 PM

i think there are 2 gold and 1 blue link on the chain or the other way around. the 2 gold ones go on the cam sprockets and 1 blue goes on the crank. If you are off by 1 tooth/link. Make sure you correct it. Dont think "Ah @%$# it, close enough"
Old 01-12-2004, 03:03 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by JAY25
I told him the tech said that. How ever his engine has not been started, only turned over a couple of times. Highly doubt his valves bent.
Yeah, I was kinda thinking he maybe fine. Either way, definately want to get the chain back into time for sure and see what happens from there.

S
Old 01-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Ramius83

Ok, I got the friggin' timing chain cover off. Wow, that was time consuming because of the tight space between the engine and the frame of the car.

Anyways, it was a little dark out, but from what I could see, I could see two yellow links on the chain. They were pretty close together, so I do know that they are the camshaft links. And YES, the timing was off BADLY. I would say that the chain jumped a good 10 links for some weird reason. I am not worried at all about any bent valves because the car actually never ran with the timing off, and I have heard NO metal on metal noises when I was turning the engine.

But, my next question is, I was looking around for another marked link on the timing chain for the crankshaft, but I couldn't see one. It may just be the lack of light not letting me see it, but, I guess I will see tomorrow once I have light.

Thanks all for helping me on this.

Old 01-12-2004, 08:18 PM
I love lamp.

Well good luck with it Ramius, keep us posted. Sucks to hear that they were off by 10 links.

S
Old 01-13-2004, 11:34 AM

putting the cover on is gonna be harder then taking it off cause you gotta silcone the beeyotch up and put it on without smearing it all over the place...HEEEH, have fun
Old 01-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Ramius83

Originally Posted by Turbo95Max
putting the cover on is gonna be harder then taking it off cause you gotta silcone the beeyotch up and put it on without smearing it all over the place...HEEEH, have fun
Turbo, quick question for you.

I was looking at the chain and the two yellow links are close together. I take it that the one sprocket lines up with one of the links, then the chain is moved with that sprocket and the other yellow link is lined up with the other sprocket with some force? I was thinking that the yellow mark on the sprockets are all lined on the same position on the camshafts. Also, do I line the yellow link on the camshafts on that little arrow on the camshaft itself, the yellow mark on the camshaft is almost on the actual arrow on the camshaft.

Also, I did take off the whole chain to find the blue link, I did not see one at all. I did see two discolored/darker links near the bottom of the chain on the opposite side of the chain from the camshafts. I take it I align one of those to the yellow/red mark on the actual crankshaft, but which one? The two discolored links were several links spaced apart.

Thanks again Turbo. You have helped me immensely on this as this is my first time doing this. Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:52 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by maximase86

S

Not necessarily. It could be off in such a way that the valves are opening at the wrong time, but still not such a time as to cause contact between pistons and valves. Being as its a 6 cyl engine, there are at least 5 other timing configurations (besides the "correct" one) that would allow the valves to be fully extended and still not contact the pistons.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Ramius83

Turbo, any assistance to post 13?

"Turbo, quick question for you.

I was looking at the chain and the two yellow links are close together. I take it that the one sprocket lines up with one of the links, then the chain is moved with that sprocket and the other yellow link is lined up with the other sprocket with some force? I was thinking that the yellow mark on the sprockets are all lined on the same position on the camshafts. Also, do I line the yellow link on the camshafts on that little arrow on the camshaft itself, the yellow mark on the camshaft is almost on the actual arrow on the camshaft.

Also, I did take off the whole chain to find the blue link, I did not see one at all. I did see two discolored/darker links near the bottom of the chain on the opposite side of the chain from the camshafts. I take it I align one of those to the yellow/red mark on the actual crankshaft, but which one? The two discolored links were several links spaced apart.

Thanks again Turbo. You have helped me immensely on this as this is my first time doing this. Thanks again."

Old 01-13-2004, 09:11 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by Ramius83
Turbo, any assistance to post 13?

"Turbo, quick question for you.

Thanks again Turbo. You have helped me immensely on this as this is my first time doing this. Thanks again."
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so......yeah.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

Get a Nissan FSM make 10x sure all of it is lined up right! I fake shat all the time but on this shat, I make sure to do it right! Too much of a pain and too much of a risk not to do it right the 1st time. There is more than just lining up the marks. Since the crank and cams turn at different rates, the cams can be 180deg off. ( I think )
Old 01-14-2004, 07:19 AM
Ramius83

Hey Jeff. I do have the FSM for this. Everyone mentioned that on the crankshaft, there was a red mark or something like that. I did not see that. The FSM states there is a groove that marks the mating point for the chain, and I finally pin-pointed it out.

As for the chain, the FSM states no-where what color the chain link is that meets up with the crankshaft mark. So, to figure it out, I had to take out the whole damn chain. I did find a "different" colored link from the rest right around the area where it touched the crankshaft. The chain is a gray/dark gray color and this link is like a black/dark blue link with a gloss to it.

As for the camshafts, they can only be lined up one way. On the camshaft sprockets, there is one yellow mark on each one. If you look closely enough, you can see a little little arrow around that mark that points to a single tooth on the sprocket. You just meet that up with the chain and wah-la, you are done.

The thing the FSM shows that is NOT correct is the actual distance between the two yellow links on the chain that meet up with the sprocket. You line up the front bank, and when trying to line up the rear bank, you have to hold the front sprocket and make sure it does not turn on you and skip teeth, at the same time you are moving the chain, and at the same time you are turning the rear bank sprocket to meet up with the chain. And, the only way to make sure you have them lined up right is by rotating the chain about 5-7 links and make sure it touches the one sprocket, then you have to turn it back the same amount and still make sure it is lined up with the other one.

The crankshaft was a whole different story. But I wont go there lol......

Thanks all for your help.

Old 01-14-2004, 11:33 AM

my bad

i didnt read this thread yesterday.

i think youve figured it out already. Juss line everything up according to the FSM, and then throw the chain on, the links will all line up correctly as long as you follow the FSM.. ask me if you get stuck
Old 01-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Ford Only.

it was good hearing from you today :rollseyes:
Old 01-15-2004, 05:24 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

oh man , listen DONT START IT UNLESS YOU KNOW ITS RIGHT !! heres the deal, make sure cylinder one is at top dead center and the crank pully marks are aligned. on the timing chain there is TWO silver links and one gold one. line the silver links with the marks in the vtc and the exhaust camshaft and the gold one with the bottom sproket TURN motor by hand to make sure it spins freely.....then hit the key...i learned this the hard way.....

Old 01-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Ramius83

I just got back in from work, what a long day, 17 friggin' hours.

Anyways, l have already aligned the camshafts/crankshaft on the chain. My 4th Gen is different than your VE gowirelessnj. On the Vq, the two yellow links go to the camshafts and the one black/gloss link goes to the crankshaft.

But yes, thanks for the heads up anyways.

It only took me about 30 minutes to set the timing chain cover back on. Very easy and straight forward, even considering the lack of room.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by Ramius83
I just got back in from work, what a long day, 17 friggin' hours.

Anyways, l have already aligned the camshafts/crankshaft on the chain. My 4th Gen is different than your VE gowirelessnj. On the Vq, the two yellow links go to the camshafts and the one black/gloss link goes to the crankshaft.

But yes, thanks for the heads up anyways.

It only took me about 30 minutes to set the timing chain cover back on. Very easy and straight forward, even considering the lack of room.