General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Nissan is Killing me! Lemon Law Advice? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 02:27 PM

So, I posted like two months ago that somebody hit my brand new max from behind and pushed me into the car in front of me. The damage was $2500, new bumper covers, and exhaust. The car was scheduled to take 4 days to fix at the dealership bodyshop. After two days they discovered that it needed a new AC/ condenser as well. No big deal. right?

Well, it was a huge deal. Evidently there are multiple setups for the 2000 and 2001 AC stuff. Four attempts and seven weeks later, they still have my car, and don't have the part. I am sick of driving a pontiac bonneville rental and want my freakin car back. The lady at the body shop told me to try to get Nissan to buy my car back from me if they are going to be unable to find the part for it.

I have entered an arbitration request with the Better Business Bureau to try to claim the lemon law. Here in VA, the requirements are that the manufacturer try and fail three times to fix the problem. (mine has been four times), the car has been in the shop 30 or more days. Mine has been gone for over 40 days. Lastly, the car must be less than 18 months old. Mine is only three months old.

So, what chance do you think that I have? Have any of you every tried to pursue the lemon law with Nissan? If it gets too crazy I may ask some of you to send emails, or call my Nissan Customer Service file worker to plead my case. The way I figure it, even if they don't buy back my car, maybe this will light a fire under their tail to get moving on finding my AC condensor part. What do you all think? Thanks Fellas. Later,
Old 03-06-2001, 03:07 PM

from mfg perspective (devil's advocate)

at least in NYS there's two things Nissan would put forth:

1) the car was in an accident, it's not being repaired due to a defect

2) the lack of air conditioning does not seriously "impair" the vehicle, therefore they don't have to replace it or give you your money back

That's just from a legal standpoint. Doesn't mean that your situation is acceptable. But it seems like whoever is doing the repair is at fault. They don't have much incentive after 7 weeks to fix it at all. Seems pretty incompetent to me, usually there is a part number stamped on each item. For whatever reason they probably are making more $$$ off of other customers with other repairs so they let yours sit.
Old 03-06-2001, 03:10 PM

you mentioned they don't have the parts, if that's the reason, it has nothing to do with lemon law.

btw, i heard, if the other insurance company is paying for your rental(if it's 100% the other guy's fault), you should be able to ask for a rental equal to what you have.
Old 03-06-2001, 04:53 PM
The missing moderator

Chances are low that you will get anything with the lemon law. The reasons are already stated, but mainly it was caused by the accident and was not a defect from factory.

-Shing

Originally posted by FloMax
So, I posted like two months ago that somebody hit my brand new max from behind and pushed me into the car in front of me. The damage was $2500, new bumper covers, and exhaust. The car was scheduled to take 4 days to fix at the dealership bodyshop. After two days they discovered that it needed a new AC/ condenser as well. No big deal. right?

Well, it was a huge deal. Evidently there are multiple setups for the 2000 and 2001 AC stuff. Four attempts and seven weeks later, they still have my car, and don't have the part. I am sick of driving a pontiac bonneville rental and want my freakin car back. The lady at the body shop told me to try to get Nissan to buy my car back from me if they are going to be unable to find the part for it.

I have entered an arbitration request with the Better Business Bureau to try to claim the lemon law. Here in VA, the requirements are that the manufacturer try and fail three times to fix the problem. (mine has been four times), the car has been in the shop 30 or more days. Mine has been gone for over 40 days. Lastly, the car must be less than 18 months old. Mine is only three months old.

So, what chance do you think that I have? Have any of you every tried to pursue the lemon law with Nissan? If it gets too crazy I may ask some of you to send emails, or call my Nissan Customer Service file worker to plead my case. The way I figure it, even if they don't buy back my car, maybe this will light a fire under their tail to get moving on finding my AC condensor part. What do you all think? Thanks Fellas. Later,