General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

got into accident (advice requested)...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 11:27 PM

got into accident (advice requested)...

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you out there can help me. Got into an accident today in which I was rear-ended pretty bad. Initial inspection - bent frame, part of the spare tire wheel well is crushed, dash and side door are creaking (more bent frame indications).
Anyways, I was wondering how I would get the person's insurance company to write me a check instead of to the bodyshop? Also, I filed a claim with my insurance company today, they said that an adjuster would call me, is it my company's adjuster or the other person's?
The reason I'm asking all these questions is I initially had planned to trade in the car this weekend and buy a new one. I want to collect the insurance money and just sell the car out right to someone as is. I don't want to be driving a car that has a bent frame (uniframe nonetheless).
Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Mike
Old 01-29-2004, 11:43 PM
I love lamp.

Well it's alright if either insurance company assess your car. If it's your insurance, they will go after the other person and/or thier insurance to get reimbursed if they are the ones that settles with you. From the sound of it, with a bent frame, they will probably total the car and pay you for the value of the car prior to the accident and take it off your hands. They will give you an option to buy the car back at discounted price. If they total the car, I say take the check from them and let them deal with the car and go get your new one.

S

Oh, BTW, if you have any aftermarket components on the car, you can factor that into the value of the car, so keep that in mind too so you get reimbursed for everything.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:54 PM

Well, right now, I'm hoping for them to total the car because according to my mechanic he sees at least $5K worth of repairs. I checked my edmunds value of the car at $10K or so. IMO, it's not worth fixing the car but if they do decide to fix it, I want them to give ME a check so that I can keep the money and sell the car as is.
I have aftermarket rims I can take off and put the stocks back on. I also have KW V2 coilovers ($1700!!!) on the car. Will they let me take out the suspension and put in the stock one?
Old 01-30-2004, 12:09 AM
I love lamp.

You probably could, but you may want to point that out that you have that in the car. For all you know, they can add the additional $1700 so you can buy a brand new set for the new car.

S
Old 01-30-2004, 05:46 AM
It's chrome alright...

what do you mean "how to"? When someone rear-ended me I called their insurance company, sent them quotes for the work, proved the other guy was at fault (police report) and they mailed me a check in my name...

are they saying they'll only pay the body shop directly?
Old 01-30-2004, 08:49 AM

WEll, I want to make sure that's the case. Some insurance companies want to go through the insurance and settle it that way. I prefer a check.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:52 AM

Sorry to about your accident. 2k2wannabe is correct. Depending on the insurance company you are dealing with, the adjuster may cut you a check on the spot <in your name> after the estimate is done. Don't let them lie to you by telling you they can only make payment to the body shop. Also, what car you buying? Maybe a 350Z or G35? I'd get a WRX STI if I didn't love my Maxima so much.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:56 PM

I'm actually thinking of the new 04 TL.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:05 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

From the 2 insurance companies that i've dealt with:

State Farm preferes writing you a check right there

AAA prefers paying directly to bodyshop but will write you a check.

I'm sure with almost any insurance company, you get your damage estimate and have the option to get a check. It might get tricky as to which bodyshop you take the car to.. AAA have these bodyshops that have a kind of connection and are AAA "approved"... so when I took it to one of their "approved" bodyshops, they gave me an option to get a check written out in my name after their adjuster/estimate person comes out and asseses the damage.

anywho, good luck with your new car!
Old 01-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The only way a body shop will get a check from an insurance company is if you sign a direction of payment indicating your approval for the insurance company to pay them directly for repairs.

The name that the car is regestered and insured with gets the check. In some cases when the vehicle has a lease or loan out, both the owners name and the bank's name is on the check.

It's that simple.

Insurance companys like to send you to one of there preferred shops. You have the right to have your vehicle repaired by the shop of your choice. Thats the law and please keep that in mind in the event you have a collision.

Proline Body & Chassis
Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
201-398-1512
Old 02-01-2004, 12:48 AM
CJ7

I just got my Max back on Friday after getting hit by a semi and I never saw a check. My insurance agent said that it was all handled electronicly. The body shop took my deductable and we called it good.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:14 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

If you are a 'fault' state and you claim on your own collision coverage, then expect them to try to get you into a network bodyshop. Most states allow you to pick the bodyshop and specify only OEM parts. They will then pursue the other driver's insurance for reimbursement.

If you have liability only then you must contact the other guy's insurance directly, and they will cut you a check directly. Beware that the bodyshop may find more damage after they start tearing in to repair it, so don't sign anything that precludes hidden damage adjustments.

If you are in a no-fault or hybrid-fault state then all bets are off. You're on your own!
Old 02-03-2004, 12:41 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by Mike H.
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you out there can help me. Got into an accident today in which I was rear-ended pretty bad. Initial inspection - bent frame, part of the spare tire wheel well is crushed, dash and side door are creaking (more bent frame indications).
Anyways, I was wondering how I would get the person's insurance company to write me a check instead of to the bodyshop? Also, I filed a claim with my insurance company today, they said that an adjuster would call me, is it my company's adjuster or the other person's?
The reason I'm asking all these questions is I initially had planned to trade in the car this weekend and buy a new one. I want to collect the insurance money and just sell the car out right to someone as is. I don't want to be driving a car that has a bent frame (uniframe nonetheless).
Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Mike
They'll total the car most likely. My family was in a few accidents a few years ago, never their fault(insurance company still didn't give a **** and the premium went up). Every single time the other person's insurance made an appointment for us to go to one of their offices where they estimated the repair costs and every single time they gave us a check written out for MY FAMILY never a shop. Don't think that changed, or has it?
Old 02-03-2004, 03:11 PM

Just want to inform you all, that the other party's insurance co (AAA) is writing a check for the damages (they didn't total it). However, it's not a check directly to me. It's a two party check wherein the lien holder and myself will be included. AAA said that the lien holder doesn't usually discharge the check to the individual, however, it's paid against the remaining balance of the loan. That's what I was planning on doing anyways, so it worked out for me. Thanks to all!
Old 02-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Very sound, Mike

I would strongly suggest against getting a check instead.

Judging from your first post, your accident sounds a lot like mine.

Upon initial inspection and estimates, the damage report came out to approximately $6k. After taking out certain parts of the car that bumped it up even more. After all was said and done, my damages came out to well above and beyond the initial estimates.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
I would strongly suggest against getting a check instead.

Judging from your first post, your accident sounds a lot like mine.

Upon initial inspection and estimates, the damage report came out to approximately $6k. After taking out certain parts of the car that bumped it up even more. After all was said and done, my damages came out to well above and beyond the initial estimates.
I thought of that. They will do a tear down of the damaged areas to see if there are any other unseen damages not initially quoted.