General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help im getting a weird noise when drving!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 01:38 PM
The original VQ...

Help im getting a weird noise when drving!!

Im gettin a weird noise from my car when i am roling with my foot off the clutch and gas and the car in gear, it sounds like a squicking noise and kindoff a hitting noise sometimes.
When i push in the clutch or put the car in neutral the noise stops! It seems to be getting worse day by day.

Could this be my throw out bearing or is my tranny messeed up?? Please help

P.S. i have a 10k act street kit if it matters.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:56 PM
The original VQ...

update: the car also does the noise now when not in gear and in neutral, What the hell?
Old 02-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do what i do: reach over to the radio, and turn it up
Old 02-03-2004, 08:03 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by 007max
do what i do: reach over to the radio, and turn it up
lol yes this helps but i can almost fell the hittng now and im getting woried.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:16 AM

sorry man... i really have no idea... i thought more people would have replied by now...
Old 02-03-2004, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
Im gettin a weird noise from my car when i am roling with my foot off the clutch and gas and the car in gear, it sounds like a squicking noise and kindoff a hitting noise sometimes.
When i push in the clutch or put the car in neutral the noise stops! It seems to be getting worse day by day.

Could this be my throw out bearing or is my tranny messeed up?? Please help

P.S. i have a 10k act street kit if it matters.

I had this exact same problem at the exact same time on the exact same ACT street kit. The weird noise is not your throwout bearing... it is some shaft that has gone bad and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it (I will post as soon as I remember unless someone else can fill it in). This noise will progressively get worse until at some point you will lose the ability to shift into some gears... I lost 1st and 2nd when mine finally failed. They had to rebuild my tranny because the internals were chewed to hell... the clutch was ruined due to insane amounts of heat (so much it discolored the clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing). You are looking at replacing your clutch and rebuilding your transmission. Probably not what you wanted to hear but I guess it is better to know now.

Adam
Old 02-03-2004, 01:56 PM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by The_Bomb
I had this exact same problem at the exact same time on the exact same ACT street kit. The weird noise is not your throwout bearing... it is some shaft that has gone bad and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it (I will post as soon as I remember unless someone else can fill it in). This noise will progressively get worse until at some point you will lose the ability to shift into some gears... I lost 1st and 2nd when mine finally failed. They had to rebuild my tranny because the internals were chewed to hell... the clutch was ruined due to insane amounts of heat (so much it discolored the clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing). You are looking at replacing your clutch and rebuilding your transmission. Probably not what you wanted to hear but I guess it is better to know now.

Adam
thanks man, i knew it was my clucth cause im suprised it even lasted 10k. Just sucks tha i need a new tranny.
What do i need to do with my axels in orderd to change to a vlsd?

o and was your shifter loose in gears?? For instance when im in first gear, the shifter has lots of play in it as if it was in neutral.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:32 PM

thanks man, i knew it was my clucth cause im suprised it even lasted 10k. Just sucks tha i need a new tranny.
What do i need to do with my axels in orderd to change to a vlsd?

o and was your shifter loose in gears?? For instance when im in first gear, the shifter has lots of play in it as if it was in neutral.

Ok, I think I came up with the name it might be the input bearing shaft... I could be wrong on this one, hell that part might not even exist but, that is what I am remembering for some reason. On top of a tranny rebuild you might have to replace your flywheel because mine was warped from the heat. My ACT clutch disc came out looking like paper pieces had frayed off of it and it smelled awful... my garage stunk for weeks after I threw it out.
As for the VSLD, I am no transmission expert (you should get a second opinion) but you'll have to first find an I30 or Candian tranny, I am not sure if you can just rebuild a regular one into a LSD. I could be wrong on that one also. But no matter what you are going to have to replace the axles with the correct ones for the VSLD.
I don't remember my shifter being loose... it was last summer and I obviously have a bad memory so it might have been. I just remember sitting at a stop sign and unable to get my shifter far enough over to get into 1st and 2nd gear... they just weren't there. Had to wait for my Dad to come tow me home... that was embarrassing.
I believe because of the mileage and the harshness of the ACT my transmission was completely destryoyed. The rebuild shop had to use a magnet to pick up the pieces of gears, bearings, and other pieces of metal that had been chewed up inside the bellhousing. Be prepared for some nasty news.

Adam
Old 02-03-2004, 09:19 PM
The original VQ...

man that sounds exacly what is happening to me.
how many miles did you have your act for, mines have ben 10k of hard driving,and did you have a stock flywheel cause i do.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:32 PM

man that sounds exacly what is happening to me.
how many miles did you have your act for, mines have ben 10k of hard driving,and did you have a stock flywheel cause i do.

I had mine for I believe roughly 9-10k, I only visited the track once in that time, but I guess it didn't have the easiest life on the street either. And yes I had the stock flywheel. That is a whole nother story because Nissan has changed the design of the flywheel, it will still work but the existing flywheel bolts will not work in it. You have to order new bolts also... but last summer Nissan had failed to manufacture any of these bolts and send them to us here in the States. There were a few sets dispersed throughout the country at certain dealerships... none were in CO for me though. So the local Nissan dealer searched for 3 days for me and finally found some at a dealership in southern CA I think and they were overnighted to my mechanic. After 1 month of my car being in pieces it was finally put back together with the new flywheel, rebuilt tranny, and an OEM Clutch. It was not fun at all. I hope that Nissan has made these bolts and corrected the shortage problem.

Adam
Old 02-03-2004, 10:38 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

It was a TOB problem for me w/ my ACT racing clutch. Didn't hurt my car, just anoying.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ammi
It was a TOB problem for me w/ my ACT racing clutch. Didn't hurt my car, just anoying.

I have that same wierd noise, sounds like something is out of round or something, anyway I initially thought it was my TOB but then I just recently got a new clutch installed and the noise is still there, so it has to be something in my tranny but I don't know what. I hasn't gotten anyworse, but I've never had any problems getting into any gears. I just wish I knew what it was. Of course I know if I ever find out it's probably going to cost much money. I'll have to look into that "input bearing shaft" that The_Bomb was talking about.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:05 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Noise when away after I got my new clutch installed. I started hearing same noise again after I put about 1500 miles. I took my car back and replaced TOB. Noise went away.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:03 PM
The original VQ...

did any of you guys have loose shifters?? as inthe shifter having lots of play when in gear??

I guess ill just wait another weeek or 2 and see if it getts worse, the weird things some days its worse than others.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:13 AM

did any of you guys have loose shifters?? as inthe shifter having lots of play when in gear??

I guess ill just wait another weeek or 2 and see if it getts worse, the weird things some days its worse than others.

I looked in my haynes manual and it seems as it could be one or more of the following:
release fork is loose (clutch area)
damaged or worn input and/or output gear shafts (transmission)
damaged input gear bearing (transmission)
damaged or worn throw out bearing (clutch area)