General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

reverse lights don't work and cel...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 03:13 PM

reverse lights don't work and cel...

i just put in a rebuilt tranny a couple of weeks ago... and i noticed my reverse lights didn't work. i didn't really care too much... but a couple of days ago i got a CEL... neutral position switch... and it has come on twice since. does anyone know what could be going on. i don't think i damaged the sensor when i reinstalled it... and i've checked the connections twice. i really don't know how the sensor works... it just looks like it has contact points on it... and i'm guessing that something comes in contact with them when shifted into reverse. is there a way to test the sensor?

thanks,

jon
Old 02-05-2004, 05:44 PM

I think they forgot to plug in the harnesses. check all the harnesses that are above your starter
Old 02-05-2004, 07:42 PM

i did the work myself... double checked it... maybe i need to do it one more time.... or maybe a wire broke
Old 02-05-2004, 09:59 PM

or maybe the fuse or bulb blew
Old 02-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by JMAXIMA
i just put in a rebuilt tranny a couple of weeks ago... and i noticed my reverse lights didn't work. i didn't really care too much... but a couple of days ago i got a CEL... neutral position switch... and it has come on twice since. does anyone know what could be going on. i don't think i damaged the sensor when i reinstalled it... and i've checked the connections twice. i really don't know how the sensor works... it just looks like it has contact points on it... and i'm guessing that something comes in contact with them when shifted into reverse. is there a way to test the sensor?

thanks,

jon
Just curious what year was the transmisson that you put into your car? Or was it the same tranny but you had it rebuilt? The Haynes manual I have says that the '93~'98 sensors are the same but the '99s are different, if you got a '99 tranny installed then the sensor needs to be changed or rewired.

If thats not the case it gives a great right up on how to diagnose a bad neutral position switch. The sensor connector is on top of the tranny and it rests on a metal tab. I had to take off my intake to get to it. If you disconnect the sensor there should be 4 pins. IIRC the bottom half of the connection is what we want to look at and its on the metal tab. The sensor itself is oval shaped with a notch on one side of the oval. For 93~98s make sure the notch is facing upwards. The pin numbers are as follows; pin 1 is located on the top left , pin 2 is the top right, pin 3 is the lower left, and pin 4 is the lower right. Put the car in reverse and measure continuity between pins 2 and 4. Then put the car in neutral and check for continuity between pins 1 and 3. If it doesnt work then the sensor is bad or damaged.

I had a intermitant short on my '96 which caused the gauges to blow out most of the time when the car was in reverse. I found that fuse 13 powers the gauge cluster and the reverse tail lights. I had to install a new wire from the sensor all the way to the tail lights to remedy this condition. So if your gauges work I doubt the fuse for the reverse lights is blown.