General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Keep the Max? or get a 93 RX7 TT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 06:22 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

well. i might be selling the max *WTF* yeah..
but im wundering .. what else is there for me?
I wanted real bad the 2002 5speed is300, but i dont have that kind of money right now.,

so i was looking around here in LA and found a nice black on tan leather Mazda 1993 RX7 Twin turbo. ~$16k-17k with 72500 miles on it.. new turbos, new tires, and pretty good condition..

i can prolly sell the max for only ~ $13,000 (POS nissan resell) and wunder what other options are there... (i only have 37k miles on the 97GXE)

i'm thinking about going to the "otherside" and looking at a 98 championship white ITR, as an alternative... or a salvage GS400 that i saw for like $15k. (no engine damage, just side damage)

huh.. never really bought a used car before and i'm scared.

well. just curious on your opinions.

--Cheston

Old 03-09-2001, 06:44 PM
Vic

sell your max =)
i'm selling mine soon too and i only have 23k on my baby =)
Vic

Originally posted by Chebosto
well. i might be selling the max *WTF* yeah..
but im wundering .. what else is there for me?
I wanted real bad the 2002 5speed is300, but i dont have that kind of money right now.,

so i was looking around here in LA and found a nice black on tan leather Mazda 1993 RX7 Twin turbo. ~$16k-17k with 72500 miles on it.. new turbos, new tires, and pretty good condition..

i can prolly sell the max for only ~ $13,000 (POS nissan resell) and wunder what other options are there... (i only have 37k miles on the 97GXE)

i'm thinking about going to the "otherside" and looking at a 98 championship white ITR, as an alternative... or a salvage GS400 that i saw for like $15k. (no engine damage, just side damage)

huh.. never really bought a used car before and i'm scared.

well. just curious on your opinions.

--Cheston

Old 03-09-2001, 07:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Save your money for the new Mitsubishi, but dont buy the rx-7, to unreliable.
Old 03-09-2001, 07:18 PM

for all who are selling there maxes

I am looking for a 95-96(mainly) maybe even a 97 for the right price this summer with minor mods or none. And Chebosto I wouldnt mind taking your max off your hands if you get the RX-7. But thats a hard decision though Max or RX-7? What ever you do more power to ya. if anyone is or will be interested in selling I am looking for an SE or chebostos GXE j/k but has to have low miles. I am looking for at the least 70k miles on the max. Sunroof, and 5 SPEED, No autos. email me at Qiwi68@yahoo.com

Max88q
Old 03-09-2001, 07:31 PM

hmm if it were me i wouldn't go for RX7, i just don't like the idea of getting big hp outta 1.3L rotory.
Old 03-09-2001, 07:51 PM

you gonna sell the max...

Cheston,
You were such as big inspiration. If you plan on selling the max, you wanna sell you KONIS to ME!!! Please dont forget to think about me. I want them! Back to the issue, the mazda RX7 is a nice car. I was looking about one to, it was a nice black rx-7 turbo for 18g's. IT was to much. I dont wanna say that it is unreliable b/c my friend has a Mazda MX-3 and it works perfectly fine. About buying a used car, I know that you can check with Car fax to see the backround of the car if it was ever crashed or something like that. oh yeah, almost forgot to ask about the seats, CAI, and possibly the wing if you gonna get rid of it. This guy brian who is doing a GB on CAI is kinda laggin but he did say that i would receive and invoice next week on the 14th. Well Cheston, its gonna be your car and you might love the new RX7. This reminds me of that guy who races it....wats his name??oh well, enjoy!!
Old 03-09-2001, 08:00 PM

If you selling you Max, I'm sure there will be someone that wants it. And if you going to sell off your mods, I'm sure there will be people flocking for your stuff like a vulture to a corpse.

I'm also looking into a 2002 Lexus IS300 5spd. Either that or the 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer.
Old 03-09-2001, 08:00 PM

hey vic

how much u sellin for???
Old 03-09-2001, 08:01 PM

Nizmo>>>MX3 is not rotary, so you cannot compare it to the RX-7.
Cheston, go for the RX-7, just do some compression test on the engine. If you can, replace the apex seals on the rotary and upgrade the radiator(these two seems to be the weak link in used RX-7s). Also replace all the hoses with high temp aftermarket ones. Rotaries are reliable, you just have to take care of it. You'll love the RWD and handling of RX-7.
Old 03-09-2001, 08:25 PM

Cheston

Why not a TT Supra? few mods and you've got a pretty potent vehicle, and it'll handle alot of horsepower on the stock block, for example, Paisley's Supra, its almost running 700 horsepower on the stock block and internals...supra would be one of my choices as next car, but the new SE-R is more in my price range....
Old 03-09-2001, 08:27 PM

What Year is the GS400 and how many miles does it have. I wan't one sooooooooooo baddddddd. I think that the mazda looks like a good deal if you are into those cars.
Old 03-09-2001, 09:02 PM

If it were not for the reliability mark downs, Id buy the RX7 in a split sec. It has madd tuning capability. FAST Mo FO!
Old 03-09-2001, 09:32 PM

I'll buy your wheels.

I dont want to sound like a vulture, but if you do plan on selling your car, i would like to purchase your TSW's. Thx!

GC
Old 03-09-2001, 09:49 PM

some advice with car fax Cheston. My previous car was a probe gt (i know , i know) and I looked the car up of carfax and it was clean. Nothing to worry about right? I wish. Half a year I was installing my speakers in the front and I noticed something strange. I found holes in the door with bondo coming through them. Well I took all the panels off and found out the car was hit on both sides. The doors we all bondo. Yes I felt like a sucker. Ohh and a year later the engine blew. Still dont know why to this day. You to show you some that car fax is not allways right because you dont always have to report problems. You can have some shandy body guy do the job for you with out any probs. The only way car fax gives you the info is the VIN# is recorded down with the type of labor or job was down. Such as body repair or even a sell or buy of the car. As for you selling the max, Im shocked. But hey we all have to move on. I heard that the Rx7 is not a very good car in the long run. Also I had a mazda/ford (samething) and dont trust those cars one bit. I heard that the mitsu evo is coming out in 2 years and its starting at 25. Not bad. But the supra also is a nice car. But hey dont listen to other people follow your gut feeling. hehe
mike
Old 03-09-2001, 10:12 PM

Re: Cheston

Originally posted by Gotrice4
Why not a TT Supra? few mods and you've got a pretty potent vehicle, and it'll handle alot of horsepower on the stock block, for example, Paisley's Supra, its almost running 700 horsepower on the stock block and internals...supra would be one of my choices as next car, but the new SE-R is more in my price range....
where are you gonna get a supraTT for $16k?? btw i think paislet's supra has more than 700hp. my friend's blitz everything supra is dynoed at 650rwhp, and it ran nearly 11s. so in order to run 8s, you need alot more.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:28 PM

You have to keep the Max Cheston, how am I supposed to beat you in a 3rd gen if you have a RX-7??? LOL

If you get the RX-7, I have dibs on the stock wheels.... if it still has them. Either that, or save for a bit and buy the new Evo VII. I'd go for a Supra or a 300Z before I got a RX-7, but RX-7's are nice and light. The main problem is finding out if the previous owner really took car of it. If those things aren't maintained they can go bad very quickly.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:42 PM

Dont abandon us Chebosto!!

If you want a faster car that bad, save some money til 2002 and get the IS300 with a TRD turbo. That car is gonna be awesome.
True men dont drive coupes J/k.
Old 03-10-2001, 05:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don't do it cheston. Rx-7 is toooo unreliable to be your daily driver. It's just not worth it man. Also, make sure you factor insurance costs into the price. You know how much it's gonna cost a young kid to insure an rx-7. *ouch*. Let the max run its course and in a few years hopefully you'll have a nice phatty engineering job somewhere making $$$$$$$ and then hook yourself up nice =)
Old 03-10-2001, 06:24 AM

Thanks mightmax for pointing that out for me. Insurance would be pretty high on that car. People just gotta maintain the car. YOu should have a turbo timer for the turbo though. Supras in my opinion are to big. Cheston, I assume you got your car back already??
Old 03-10-2001, 11:43 AM

yeah with rx-7 really nice car, but they say its not if u have to replace then engine, its when u have to
and as far as apex seals, seems cant just replace them, when i have warrantied engines in the car, the techs can barely even tear them down to find out the failure, just usually replace them.
Old 03-10-2001, 11:58 AM

well one of my best friends has a 94 rx7. So far he's had to replace the engine but that being his only problem he considers himself lucky. Its super super naseuatingly fast...feels like i just got off a roller coaster when i step out of his car. However he tells me the 93 has lots of problems. That some parts were even recalled.

Furthermore I went to get my car audio hooked up the other day. The guy who owns the place owned a 93 rx-7 and says he just had 3 good days with it "the day i bought it, the day i sold it, and the day i hit a 159 mph on route 95"
Old 03-10-2001, 01:13 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

well. i know there are problems with the reliability,
but changing out the rotoray engine is like $2k. from DEALER.. the rotary engine is pretty much cheap to change out. only like 7 moving parts or what not, but i do know the negatives with the wear and tear of a rotary.

thanks for all your inputs and kind words.

i get my car back from the shop next week, and hopefully they repaired EVERYTHING.. else, i'm gonna be one mad (and sad) puppy.

Cheston

Old 03-10-2001, 06:19 PM

>....

That would be tossing reliability out the door. I have been an avid follower of RX-7s for as long as I could sit upright in a car. One thing is for sure; 3rd GEN Rx-7s will inevitibly blow up. They have a very high maintenance rotory motor, and need special if not annal retentive maintenance and care the the Nth degree.

Now on the other hand...
2500lbs, boost like crazy, and the best handling production 2 seater you'll ever find.

TIPS:
DO NOT buy a 93'; unless the following is TRUE:
1. all TSBs have been fixed and warantied
2. low milage
3. new factory engine installed (in which case they would have done all the TSBs)
4. don't buy silver (very poor paint that year) (93)
5. DO NOT buy any RX-7 with out a full tech pass, including compression.
6. DO NOT go to a dealer on any engine issue other than having the engine replaced
7. don't count on dealers for much support at all. (MAZDUH dealers were never really trained for the cars phenominal performance and rigorous maintenance schedule)
8. visit http://www.RX7CLUB.com for all your answers and support.

Take your time and find a nice 94 or 95, with very low miles
Most RX-7 owners are not that fancy about fanatical maintenance, so be AWARE of bugs and poor compression on the rotors.
Old 03-11-2001, 11:18 PM

Hey Cheston, this sounds kinda familiar...what gives? I say go for the RX-7 and just swap out to a new motor. My brother and I LOVE our RX-7 and it did fairly well at Vegas considering it is only at 1/4 boost.
Old 03-11-2001, 11:28 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

i got the idea from you man.
sheeeit.

monkey see. monkey do! hahah
Old 03-12-2001, 10:23 AM
MaxRX7

I know you want to start shooting flames!

First, let me say "**** you" to all who say RX-7s are not reliable.

I had my 95 R2 with 80k trouble-free miles and my 86 GXL has 260k miles, everything original(engine and tranny).

Old 03-12-2001, 10:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My cousin has an RX-7, it purrs all the way up to redline. I love that car. She's never had any problems with it except for one of the turbos going bad.
Old 03-12-2001, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Chebosto
i got the idea from you man.
sheeeit.

monkey see. monkey do! hahah
Hahaha!! If you got the extra money for the service, go for the RX-7!! It's well worth it. Just be warned, the car is not comfortable at the least.
Old 03-12-2001, 04:19 PM
I'm needing a caw

MaxRX7. Are those miles stock or modded. It's my understanding that stock, the engines maybe fine but still does require more attention than the normal person gives to an engine(which is usually next to nothing) But once you mod, very carefull attention must be made to the order in which the mods are done. Ie.. cooling mods first before any boost mods etc...

I don't quite understand, are you saying the rotary (na and boosted) are just as reliable as piston engines? Or just not as bad as everyone makes them out to be? I admit though some of these people commenting couldn't tell the difference between an apex seal and a their left shoe.

For NA piston mods, you can do pretty much do the mods in any order you want. It's not like na mods to a whole lot anyway.
Old 03-13-2001, 06:57 AM
MaxRX7

I agree with what you've said Jeff.

I started modding out the R2 when it had 40k and when the GXL's engine stops spinning in about another 20k or so miles, I will rebuilt the engine myself and upgrade the seals and such to accomadate some mods. At the moment I also have a TurboII and yes(I modded it in a particular order).

The rotary (na) is *more* reliable than a piston engine, and they are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. They can be driven daily and not "blow up".
*with proper maintance
The only real strain on the rotary is how it breaths (it has 2 pre-cats and one main cat which tend to go bad at 100k miles due to all the heat) the solution is headers and a straight pipe/presilencer (or downpipe for turbos) with a good set of ear plugs .

So basically if the owner is naive like the ones stated they shouldn't put their hands on a RX-7 or any car for that matter.

As far as reliablity and functionality the overall best engines are:
1-rotary
2-inline 6
3-other(maxima V6 and such)

Old 03-13-2001, 07:33 AM

Now Cheston, I'm all for the RX-7. One idea, tho: If you have to replace the engine, srape some cash together so you can do the 20B conversion!
And if the 4-dr route is still appealing to you, why not the new Sentra SE-R? SCC said a light pressure turbo setup would work great on it.
Old 03-13-2001, 08:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

MaxRX7. Well I agree w/ almost everything you said. Except for the reliabity of rotaries vs piston engines. Let's say Japanese pistons engines vs rotaries(which are of course Japanese) You mentioned when the na rotary will stop spinning in 20k. Well any typical Japanese engine that has even the mininal care should run at least 200-250k easy. 300k, I think you would agree is not unrealistic at all. At the same time do you think the typical rotary is gonna last that long? It's just that the piston engine doesn't generate nearly as much heat and is alot less sensitive to maintainence than rotaries.