General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Very interesting last 2 nights & 60 K service questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 09:56 AM

Well I went up to cecil county dragway this friday night with a buddy and a few girls (hey GTPguy, you still around? I saw 2 GTPs that night, silver one from New Jersey and a black one). Anyway, I ran a total of 4 times. The last time I went there was a few months ago, I believe in september. My best time before that was 15.1 @ 92.33 MPH bone stick, with only a K&N cone. I emptied my trunk completely, no spare and no subwoofers. This time, I had the ShopVac Cold Air Intake and Cattman SS Y. I never got above 89 MPH for trap speed. It didnt help that 3 out of 4 runs I was missing gears! It must be me, cause I get really excited when I go up to the track and then I start messing up. Ive gotten better at launching the car, but I still need to practice. My 4th run, I ran out of gas. I was going down the track, and then my damn engine starts bogging. I was like F! I ran a 15.8 on that run. So anyway, I'm looking for more excuses of why my car was running so slow :-). My next thought, was because my car is at 59,700 miles. My 60K service is coming up, so I'm hoping that the new spark plugs will make a difference. I'm thinking about those Idium plugs. Also Ill put in redline transmission oil too.

So anyway last night I still had my track numbers on the car. I raced a mustang cobra a few times and he never beat me off the line, but he started pulling around 60 MPH or so. I bet he was surprised a 4 door FWD sedan could keep up like that. But then, about 15 minutes later, I had a run in with a z24 cavalier. I beat him off the line but then he started gaining, and I was running out of gear! He managed to pass me by, I almost crapped. He had to been on juice or something, you just dont pull away from a Maxima like that.

So my question is, will my 60K service make my car faster?
Old 03-11-2001, 10:05 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The plugs won't really help because the stock NGK last a long time and they are probably some of the best plugs out there.

What gears are you missing and what gear are you finishing in. Maybe I can give you some pointers.

Dave
Old 03-12-2001, 09:17 AM

I missed the 2-3 shift twice and of all things the 1-2 shift my second run. I finish on the top of 3rd gear.
Old 03-12-2001, 10:10 AM
Keven97SE

My car runs at a sweet spot at around 1/4 tank. Above that, the performance is good but not quite as good. At a full tank it's typically a little sluggish, but still okay. By 1/8 of a tank, though, the car sucks. My car has started to lurch like yours also at that tank.

My guess is the near-empty tank killed your acceleration. I really don't have a good explanation for why my car sucks at that tank level, but my guess is either air bubbles are entering the fuel line at that pressure, or fuel pressure is dropping off due to some interaction between the tank level and the fuel return tube inside the tank.

Fill'er up and try again.

Originally posted by ericdwong
My 4th run, I ran out of gas.