General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

opinions on split CV boots

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 11:07 AM

opinions on split CV boots

I have a torn outer CV boot on the drivers side of my 87SE.
The joint is fine.

Has anyone ever used a split boot?

Opinions?

speakeraddict
Old 02-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Split boots are a cheaters way out. If you tore it, you've sort of already started the damage process. Dirt gets in there and starts to destroy the joint.

Best to replace the CVboot entirely, clean the joint before that. Or just replace the whole halfshaft for about $40-50 from napa, autozone, etc.

Dixit
Old 02-24-2004, 04:16 PM

split boot are usually a tempoary fix, but it's not intended for long term. Get your boot replace, it doesn't cost much to have it done at Pepboys or other local mechanic. They usually cost about 60 buck labor included.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
split boot are usually a tempoary fix, but it's not intended for long term. Get your boot replace, it doesn't cost much to have it done at Pepboys or other local mechanic. They usually cost about 60 buck labor included.
I wouldn't let Pep Boys work on my lawn mower. I would take it to a good local shop that is known for quality work at a fair price.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Split boots are a cheaters way out. If you tore it, you've sort of already started the damage process. Dirt gets in there and starts to destroy the joint.

Best to replace the CVboot entirely, clean the joint before that. Or just replace the whole halfshaft for about $40-50 from napa, autozone, etc.

Dixit
If you catch it when it first happens, you can reuse the CV joint w/o any problems. The problem starts when all of the grease gets thrown out and dirt enters the joint.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

I will buy OEM type boots. They are only $20 for a set of all four at O'reilly's.

I figure since the mechanic said the joints were fine, I might as well replace all the boots in one day and get it over with.

How do I clean and grease them? (Be kind, I have a ton of experience with old street rods and trucks and virtually zero with FWD cars)

Thanks again. I am sure glad my maxima owning buddy pointed me to you!

speakeraddict
Old 02-25-2004, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by speakeraddict
Thanks for the input guys.

I will buy OEM type boots. They are only $20 for a set of all four at O'reilly's.

I figure since the mechanic said the joints were fine, I might as well replace all the boots in one day and get it over with.

How do I clean and grease them? (Be kind, I have a ton of experience with old street rods and trucks and virtually zero with FWD cars)

Thanks again. I am sure glad my maxima owning buddy pointed me to you!

speakeraddict
You're welcome. I would compare the boots at O'reilly's with Carquest boots. The ones Carquest has are much thicker than Nissan OEM. When I had the outer boots replaced on my 92, the dealer bought Carquest boots. I wouldn't worry about cleaning all of the grease out unless you have a slovent tank. You basically clean it to inspect for wear. They sell little packs of CV joint grease at parts stores. One bag per joint. Sometimes it comes with the boots.