General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

And then, cars suddenly weren't as important as they used to be.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 07:56 PM

I know this may be a rare occurance, but I thought that I should let other Maxima owners know about my experience.

I have a '99 Maxima SE Limited 5 speed, and I was on my way back home with my father on I-95 near Philadelphia. I had the cruise control on, and suddenly the car bucked like I had just put some moderate pressure on the brake. I told my father that I didn't touch the brake, and I had no idea what had just happened. I then slowed down a bit after disengaging the cruise, and began to notice a grinding noise coming from somewhere in front of me. I should let you know that my car had just been to the dealer less than a week ago to have a similar grinding problem fixed under warranty. They determined that it was a worn input bearing in my tranny (or clutch, not sure), and replaced it. The car seemed fine when I got it back, and it was fine even after a weekend trip to Central PA. Back to the story, after the grinding noise came a violent shaking in my car, and I could not move my gearshift lever. My transmission had just locked up. I was trying to keep the car straight in spite of the rumbling vibration and put it into neutral so I could coast safely to a stop, as my father was telling me to do. However the gearshift lever was grinding and not letting me move it an inch, so the car came to a screeching halt, in the middle of three lanes. I turned my flashers on and blared my horn so that the nighttime traffic would be sure to notice me until it was clear to get out of the car and run to the side of the highway. Let me tell you, that was the most intense and frightening couple of minutes in my entire life. As highway traffic sped by and swerved to avoid my stranded car, I could do nothing but hope that we wouldn't be struck and killed. Finally, after what seemed like forever, the road was clear and we bolted to the side of the road, and quickly called 911. We were both aware the danger that a stopped car in the middle of an interstate highway could cause. After 10 minutes, no authorities had yet arrived, and all we could do was watch and pray that my car did not cause a major accident. We were fortunate that we were out of the car and mostly out of danger, but the inevitable happened, and a early 90's Dodge Shadow plowed into the back of the Maxima, as the driver tried to come to a screeching halt. She got out of the car, and fortunately was unharmed, despite hitting her airbag rather hard. We yelled for her to come to the side of the highway, and soon a tow truck arrived, but the PA State Police were still nowhere to be found. When the police finally arrived, it had been at least 20 minutes since we called. By then we were still trying to get a grip on the situation, and catch our breath. Even though I just watched my baby get totalled, I didn't think once about it. I love that car so much, but the only thing I could think about is how lucky I was to still be alive. I had trouble sleeping that night, but it had nothing to do with my car. I say this because I'm a car nut, just like most of you on the boards, but I came to realize that that my passion didn't get in the way of rational thinking, and I tried to keep a hold of myself. I don't know what is going to happen with my car, or how the dealership plans to handle the situation, considering their faulty repair almost cost my life and my dad's life.

I just wanted to let you know about my experience with my Maxima, and tell my dealership horror story. I hope no one else has to go through what I did.
Old 03-12-2001, 08:01 PM

damn!!

Sorry to hear that. Glad you and your dad are fine! And also the lady that rammed into your car. Hope she's ok too.

I say first you find out wat caused the tranny problem in the car, and if it is your dealers fault..you raise hell with them! Make sure they pay!
Old 03-12-2001, 08:17 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

wow...sorry to hear about that...where were you in at in relation to philly? my buddy went through something similar with the PA police not showing up on I-676 to his accident...philly police ended up seeing what was going on and helped out...makes you think how much faith you can have in the police as well....good luck getting a new ride and glad to see you and your father were able to get away in time...
Old 03-12-2001, 08:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wow, that sucks... sorry to hear that man. At least you are ok. Hope everthing works out with you and your car... keep us updated.
Old 03-12-2001, 09:23 PM

Thanks for your sympathy, everyone. I will keep you updated on the car situation, but as of now, I'm not sure what's going to come out of this. It's possible the dealership will replace my totalled Max with a 2001, but I don't know if I want another Maxima. I was thinking of buying a new car sometime next year anyway. Perhaps they'll make a settlement with me, and depending for how much, I am interested in a '95-'99 BMW M3, as I have always been a huge fan of that car. Oh well, I'm not really worried about that right now, I'm just glad to be alright!
Oh, and Chris, my accident occurred on I-95 South around Bristol (Rt. 413 exit).
Old 03-12-2001, 10:22 PM

I hope the situation resolves well.

Dont worry about the car. You have to think how much your life is worth. If it's more then $27,000, then it's all good no matter what happened to the car. Go for the M3 !
Old 03-12-2001, 11:23 PM
STFU n00b!

Sorry to hear about the car, but at least you have your priorities right. No life is more important than a car.
At least everyone was unhurt and will live to drive again.

Now go sure their pants off!! ;-)
Old 03-13-2001, 11:00 AM
Keven97SE

Wow, I hate to say this, but I'm so glad you posted this. This is the EXACT SAME WAY my transmission died. You explained it exactly how it happened to me. The car started bucking violently, so I started to slow down, but it got worse. I pushed the clutch pedal in, and something went loose inside the tranny as I heard something make a loud "ping" noise. I shifted into neutral but it didn't feel right. I let out the clutch and the tranny started to engage again! The shifter was in neutral, but the tranny wasn't inside. I was lucky in that I was out in the country, so was able to pull off to the side of the road. My car was out of warranty, so I had the tranny replaced with a used VLSD unit.

It's nice to see that I'm not just some idiot who drives their transmission into the grave. (Well, maybe I am but at least I'm not alone...just kidding!) Perhaps there's a design flaw in that area of the transmission?

Old 03-13-2001, 11:04 AM
OG :)

is there a condensed version? update me
Old 03-13-2001, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Keven97SE
Wow, I hate to say this, but I'm so glad you posted this. This is the EXACT SAME WAY my transmission died. You explained it exactly how it happened to me. The car started bucking violently, so I started to slow down, but it got worse. I pushed the clutch pedal in, and something went loose inside the tranny as I heard something make a loud "ping" noise. I shifted into neutral but it didn't feel right. I let out the clutch and the tranny started to engage again! The shifter was in neutral, but the tranny wasn't inside. I was lucky in that I was out in the country, so was able to pull off to the side of the road. My car was out of warranty, so I had the tranny replaced with a used VLSD unit.

It's nice to see that I'm not just some idiot who drives their transmission into the grave. (Well, maybe I am but at least I'm not alone...just kidding!) Perhaps there's a design flaw in that area of the transmission?
I wonder if there is a design flaw? I don't race my car, or work the tranny particularly hard, except for the occasional stoplight brawl. I certainly did not do enough damage to kill a transmission that was only 32,000 miles old. Well, once I get the damage report, maybe I'll be able to find out what exactly went wrong, and why.
Old 03-13-2001, 11:45 AM
Keven97SE

Yes, when you find out what went wrong with the tranny, please update everyone. My tranny only had 73K miles, which is not much for a manual. I drive the car hard occasionally, but I never was overly rough with it. I can't see how driving the way I do could have ruined it.

Originally posted by Serendipitous

I wonder if there is a design flaw? I don't race my car, or work the tranny particularly hard, except for the occasional stoplight brawl. I certainly did not do enough damage to kill a transmission that was only 32,000 miles old. Well, once I get the damage report, maybe I'll be able to find out what exactly went wrong, and why.

Old 03-13-2001, 03:37 PM

Old 03-13-2001, 04:19 PM

I truly sympathize with you and am happy everyone is okay, except for the poor car of course. Two comments though. One, I urge everyone to get flares and carry them in your car. Carry at least six and learn how to use them. When used, they should be left at least 500, then 350,200,100 feet and then right behind the car. You did do the right thing and get off onto the shoulder. Way too often I get called to accidents in which someone gets hit by their own car because they were hit by a rear ender when standing in front of their own car. Secondly, 911 is not perfect. We often get 'bounce 911' calls from other counties. When you dial 911 on a cell phone, the cell site decides where it sends the 911 signal. For example, if you dial 911 from a cell phone in Port Chester, NY on the NY/Greenwich, CT border, the 911 center you get is in Nassau County. If you dial in Mt. Vernon, it bounces into NYC. It takes time for the calltaker and dispatcher to transfer the call properly and then for the call taker to get your information once it gets to the right PSAP. People also expect help to be right there when they call. Depending on the time of day, the number of available responders and the status of the units, it can sometimes take 30 minutes to get a response. Those same troopers that you want well spaced out when you're speeding must sometimes travel considerable distances in order to come to your aid. I'm not defending the system, just trying to explain why sometimes it takes longer than 'a few moments'.
Old 03-13-2001, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
I truly sympathize with you and am happy everyone is okay, except for the poor car of course. Two comments though. One, I urge everyone to get flares and carry them in your car. Carry at least six and learn how to use them. When used, they should be left at least 500, then 350,200,100 feet and then right behind the car. You did do the right thing and get off onto the shoulder. Way too often I get called to accidents in which someone gets hit by their own car because they were hit by a rear ender when standing in front of their own car. Secondly, 911 is not perfect. We often get 'bounce 911' calls from other counties. When you dial 911 on a cell phone, the cell site decides where it sends the 911 signal. For example, if you dial 911 from a cell phone in Port Chester, NY on the NY/Greenwich, CT border, the 911 center you get is in Nassau County. If you dial in Mt. Vernon, it bounces into NYC. It takes time for the calltaker and dispatcher to transfer the call properly and then for the call taker to get your information once it gets to the right PSAP. People also expect help to be right there when they call. Depending on the time of day, the number of available responders and the status of the units, it can sometimes take 30 minutes to get a response. Those same troopers that you want well spaced out when you're speeding must sometimes travel considerable distances in order to come to your aid. I'm not defending the system, just trying to explain why sometimes it takes longer than 'a few moments'.
Very true- I'm going to make a point to carry flares in my next car, as I now see that they are very important in a situation like this. About the 911 call- I do understand that help can't be there a few minutes after I call, but at that moment, I was sweating buckets becuase I knew that until the poilce and tow truck arrived, my car was a fatal accident waiting to happen. In the heat of the moment, it seemed like forever until the state trooper arrived, but I know that he couldn't have been there as soon as I wanted him to. I wasn't trying to bash the emergency service, if that's what it sounded like.
Old 03-13-2001, 07:36 PM

Dude, in my last crash, the cops showed up 1 hr 25 min. to show.
Old 05-13-2001, 09:52 PM

Read the thread "Please read, this may affect those of you in the Philadelphia area" for an update to my story.
Old 05-13-2001, 10:03 PM

sorry to hear that. are u gonna buy another max =(