General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What mod is "Played Out" in your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 05:32 PM

Indiglo gauges. I have them and wish i didn't
Old 03-02-2004, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ohannon7
Currently played out:
Chrome altezzas
those add on side markers to make your car look European
fart cans
Vinyl graphics, decals
any wing abouve 6"
Bright neon colored painted calipers
glow pedals
"Dubs"

Soon to be played out:
gunmetal rims and polished lips

I don't know about any colored rims but I don't think the Polish lip rims will ever be played out.....just like when ur debating about what color rims to choose u can't go wrong with silver. I think five spoke silver wheels never plays out.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:35 PM

Just about everything for the Maxima is played out because about 20,000 people have every mod.

Stillen Lip/Kit
Eibach/H&R/Ground Control/Maxspeed/Sprint
Tokico/KYB
Clear bumper lights
Altezzas
Any 17/18" wheel. Nowadays, 19"s for that matter
HID's
Any Y Pipe
Any Intake
Even the Supercharger is played out now.
MEVI
and the list goes on.

Most of these mods have been around for years, and a lot of the people here pioneered them. Now that there are so many Maxima enthusiasts, they're all getting these same mods. It's just how it's always going to be with a car like the maxima. A lot of enthusiasts, but currently only moderate aftermarket support.

Right now, there isn't much you can do to significantly distinguish yourself from many other Maximas. Turbo, widebody, built motor, conversions... These aren't widely done yet, but that's mostly because they're incredibly expensive. They'll probably be played out in a few years as Maxima tuning progresses.

It used to be so easy to build a Maxima that stood out. 3 years ago, I painted mine blue, rewrapped the interior, got 19"s, and a Stillen SC. And all of a sudden it was unique. Now there must be 50 cars that have similar mods. I'm rebuilding it and it will be unique again, but this round is costing probably double what the last setup did. So it's getting harder and harder.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:49 PM

Blue HIDS

Blue LEDS

Blue Paint
Old 03-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hmm played out? lets see
MM Evo-5's
Y pipes
FSTB
Old 03-02-2004, 09:37 PM

IMO just because everyone has them, to me that doesnt mean they're "played out". . . everyone has a Y-pipe, but IMO its not played out because it is something that improves the car drastically. Chrome Altezzas ARE played out because EVERY car has them and they look tacky on most cars, ditto for washer LEDs. To be honest with you, I see more konig wheels than I do EVO5's on the roads, maybe like 15 -20 people on the org here has EVO5s, spread out through 4th gen and 5th gens, and all around the United States, thats not too played out IMO. In the maxima community, some mods can't be played out, for instance, the Stillen Supercharger is the ONLY supercharger available for the Maxima, and because of that, it doesnt leave people with much choice for reliable FI, that doesnt make the Stillen S/C "played out", does it? I dont roll my eyes when I see a supercharged max . .. . . or EVO-5's.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
i think that when people try so hard to keep this sleeper look with their cars. i think thats really played out. stock rims and the adding all this other stock stuff to their cars so they can try to be a se or something. its like every car on this forum looks alike even with all the mods they get. people should get some personality and not be afriad of wat others thing and mod the car how u feel like it.
good points. but i like the sleeper look with light modding, namely wheels and lowering. but you raise a good case for a "cult of fear" about being called too ghey or rice for adding anything. some people cannot mod tastefully. so to avoid being ghey, they don't mod the appearance too far. and i can see that. typically it is the later gens that are apt to add ghetto or "expensive but tasteless" things like "dubs." but, everyone can be as they wish. it makes this place different (like foetray's car -the yellow maxima i hated, but got to appreciate because it is executed so flawlessly and amazingly beautifully. we even became friends because i hated his car!).

conversely, you got to make a stand for your own unique statement. if something is played out, and you like it, then who gives one flying fu#ck. the car is an extension of one's clothes, imo. it makes a statement. so go and make one. a big problem is that too many members are flame-happy and proclaim themselves experts in how the car should look. especially body kits. i think the stillen kit is nice, but not nice on every car. it depends on how one uses it. but there are other kits that are cool, but are avoided out of fear, like it would get flamed. so you get the safe "played out" mods that invite criticisms. so mod it how you like. even if you put on stupid looking altezzas, at least you're maybe a step closer to seeing for yourself how dumbas$ they look and you'll remove them. everyone is at a different level of awareness and growth and knowledge. i just cannot stand altezza style pieces of cheap looking **** and these hideous pimp looking ghetto dub jewelry pieces. foetray knows that i feel this way, and he's cool with me even with those wheels on his car because he's got a class act overall. the >>>bigger picture<<< of his ENTIRE ride is far from being played out. quite the contrary.

so i am sensitive and tolerant, then dogmatic and judgemental all in the same post!

(a hint: these "altezza" fake aftermarket rip-offs can look cool if the lens is removed, and the dumb looking chrome part is painted black or gunmetal or the car's body color, then reassembled onto the car -that is a more tasteful and unique look, imo).

Old 03-03-2004, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Just about everything for the Maxima is played out because about 20,000 people have every mod.

Stillen Lip/Kit
Eibach/H&R/Ground Control/Maxspeed/Sprint
Tokico/KYB
Clear bumper lights
Altezzas
Any 17/18" wheel. Nowadays, 19"s for that matter
HID's
Any Y Pipe
Any Intake
Even the Supercharger is played out now.
MEVI
and the list goes on.
On your list, I wouldn't say that the VI, SC or Y pipe or any sized wheel would be played yet. It looks that 20's on a Max got played from the start and to me it just didn't look right.
The SC, VI and Y will never go to bed because they are meaningful mods and have a job to do. Turbos will overshadow the SC completely at some point butI think the SC will be around for a while. HID's might be played in a sense but OEM retrofits aren't. I wish I had to mean to do it personally like theblue did.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:24 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
IMO just because everyone has them, to me that doesnt mean they're "played out". . . everyone has a Y-pipe, but IMO its not played out because it is something that improves the car drastically. Chrome Altezzas ARE played out because EVERY car has them and they look tacky on most cars, ditto for washer LEDs. To be honest with you, I see more konig wheels than I do EVO5's on the roads, maybe like 15 -20 people on the org here has EVO5s, spread out through 4th gen and 5th gens, and all around the United States, thats not too played out IMO. In the maxima community, some mods can't be played out, for instance, the Stillen Supercharger is the ONLY supercharger available for the Maxima, and because of that, it doesnt leave people with much choice for reliable FI, that doesnt make the Stillen S/C "played out", does it? I dont roll my eyes when I see a supercharged max . .. . . or EVO-5's.

Just because the y-pipe is "played out" doesn't mean I won't get one....what's the alternative? Keep it stock and dream of power gains?

I think the term "played out" applies more to cosmetic mods than performance mods.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by CoolMax

Just because the y-pipe is "played out" doesn't mean I won't get one....what's the alternative? Keep it stock and dream of power gains?
Headers
Old 03-03-2004, 06:29 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by optimus310
Headers
Dammit!

Ok, how much do you gain from headers vs. y-pipe and what's the cost difference?
Old 03-03-2004, 07:45 AM

Dammit!

Ok, how much do you gain from headers vs. y-pipe and what's the cost difference?

Well there is being a few topics about the gains. Headers still don't have a number establish, but if I read correctly the thread said "What mod is "Played Out" in your opinion?"
IN my opinion Y pipe is played out, even if ts the best bang for the buck. We have to realize we drive Maximas and the aftermarket is not as big as a civic, so most mods are played out. No matter if they are good or bad.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:15 AM

Well there is being a few topics about the gains. Headers still don't have a number establish, but if I read correctly the thread said "What mod is "Played Out" in your opinion?"
IN my opinion Y pipe is played out, even if ts the best bang for the buck. We have to realize we drive Maximas and the aftermarket is not as big as a civic, so most mods are played out. No matter if they are good or bad.
this is a dumba$$ thread cause these things have been around forever. so in that case the engine is played cause everyone has one. dah!!!!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by C MAX
this is a dumba$$ thread cause these things have been around forever. so in that case the engine is played cause everyone has one. dah!!!!
I knew it was going to be a matter of time until someone was going to show their a$$. Delete your last comment and if the thread is dumb, don't post here.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by deezo
I knew it was going to be a matter of time until someone was going to show their a$$. Delete your last comment and if the thread is dumb, don't post here.
don't i have a right to express my opinion. cause im modded, almost every mod. does that make it a bad thing. and most of them have been done even before being mentioned on this org. if you dont get feedback good or bad whats the sense of posting..
Old 03-03-2004, 08:58 AM
is invisible

don't i have a right to express my opinion. cause im modded, almost every mod. does that make it a bad thing. and most of them have been done even before being mentioned on this org. if you dont get feedback good or bad whats the sense of posting..

Because there is a certain way of doing things and it involves a proper way of conduct and certain amount of tact.
Do you think it's right to call someone a stupidmutherf*cker because you don't think what they said was exactly the brightest thing?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:59 AM

Look at your last post man. Your taking the whole thread personal and that doesn't make sense. I know good and well there are people on the org that's tired of seeing something, no matter what it is. But you want to take the thread down the dumps and I'm not going to let you.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:03 AM
is invisible

I can't agree with that logic.
If you're even half-way serious about modding, you'll have some sort of exhaust mod, regardless of the car.
In the Maxima's case, the only extablished exhaust option with significant gains we have is the Y-pipe.
To say the Y-pipe is "played out" it's like saying 93 octane is "played out."
Old 03-03-2004, 09:06 AM

The Y pipe will never be played out because its fairly cheap and it works.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:06 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by deezo
Look at your last post man. Your taking the whole thread personal and that doesn't make sense. I know good and well there are people on the org that's tired of seeing something, no matter what it is. But you want to take the thread down the dumps and I'm not going to let you.

Exactly.
When you call someone's thread stupid, it's a personal attack, an insult. I wonder why those people even bother to tell you that? Just don't respond if you think it's stupid.
It seemed that nearly everyone thought my 3.5L Altima vs 3.0L Maxima was a stupid thread.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:08 AM

Because there is a certain way of doing things and it involves a proper way of conduct and certain amount of tact.
Do you think it's right to call someone a stupidmutherf*cker because you don't think what they said was exactly the brightest thing?
your absolutley right. what i should of said was, some of the things the guys are saying don't make sense. not that this is a bad thread i apologize. quality names and products will always be around.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by K Pazzo 6
things might be played out here on the org....but whatever mod person has on maxima thats played out here, might not be played out where person lives & he could be one of a kind w/ it on his maxima....

p.s. i for one say alot of org members have the MM Evo5 rims & i wouldnt call them played out b/c they still look good & also b/c i had them on my max & no other maxima where i live did i see them sporting them....
I would have to agree...
Alot of ppl have the same mods on here...but around where i live i am the only 5th gen max with stuff done to it...that i know of
its great when your sitting at a stop light and ppl say your car looks bad ***! and then they floor it and kick my *** in a race!!!!
Old 03-03-2004, 10:22 AM
I'm needing a caw

How about I lock the thread and be done with it.

Samurai swish! Hai!