General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Puting in new foglight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 04:55 PM

Hey,
I know there used to be a post about this here, buts it gone. So i tried to pop off my fog light plastic piece, but that didnt work.So how do i put in new bulbs in my stock fog lights!?
Old 03-14-2001, 08:50 PM

Hey Nick, I have the same problem. If you find the answer can you email me.
Old 03-15-2001, 09:38 AM

Check Cheston's page -->

look under cosmetic mods and follow the picture for installing the fog lights.
Towards the end, it shows how to replace the bulb.
Now, there have been several controversial reports about the wattage. People have successfully installed 85W bulbls and others have failed (the lens cracked because of sudden temperature change i.e. snow).
There seems to be a higher rate of success for 95, 96 models. These are different than 97 + models, in that the fog light seems to have a thicker glass lens than 97+.
The local speed shop guys told me that they have been successfull installing them in maximas 95-96 (and I live in the refirgerator of the world: Rochester NY) No cracks reported.
If you ar at all concerned, go with the 55W, they are basically OEM replacements (in terms of wattage) with a nicer look (and some driver visual improvement).
Old 03-18-2001, 05:44 AM

ugg

Ok i looked at chestons site, heres what he said for putting in a new bulb

The fog light lens seems to be almost 2 pieces, the one big main piece then a reall skiny piece. Do you pop that out, and then thats where the screws are? I tried prying it out with a flat head, and it didnt really want to come out. Can someone give us a more detailed explination.
Thanks
Old 03-18-2001, 05:56 AM

ok

All right i got the whole fixture out. I took off the first cap, now i cant get the bulb out. Im on the last step i think on those pictures... what do i do?!
Old 03-18-2001, 06:09 AM

So here is what i am trying to do.

Im at this point andi cant get the bulb out. What am i doing wrong here?
On the instructions they take out two more screws than i do, but i dont even see any more screws. Im right on the middle of this and cant finnish! Grr. help!
Old 03-18-2001, 06:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

look at it

there is a clip that has to be unlocked there just push down on the little end of the ring thing and slid it over and it will be able to open up. sorry for the primitive instructions.
Old 03-18-2001, 06:36 AM

Ok got that

Now i got the bulb out, but its still attached by the string looking thing. How do i actually put in the new bulb? It doesnt seem to be plug and play like the head lights are? Do i friggen have to cut tht **** and rewire it.
Old 03-18-2001, 06:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

slide

the plastic cover back. the connection is under the plastic or clothlike cover. you better get it all the way this time. hahhaha
Old 03-18-2001, 06:58 AM

Re: The 2 extra screws are for 97+ models -->

The 96- models have the cap and a screw under it.
Hey Nick what wattage bulbs are you installing? (55 or 85 Watts)

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Ok i looked at chestons site, heres what he said for putting in a new bulb

The fog light lens seems to be almost 2 pieces, the one big main piece then a reall skiny piece. Do you pop that out, and then thats where the screws are? I tried prying it out with a flat head, and it didnt really want to come out. Can someone give us a more detailed explination.
Thanks
Old 03-18-2001, 07:10 AM

yay

Ok both are in and the work. In the process I noticed a head light was out so i fixed that too. What a productive morning!!
I am using 55watts bulbs that produce 100, or somthing, but they are realy 55watt. They are brighter than stock, but still the same color, which sucks. I wanted them to be really white. Oh well..
Now, someone anwser my other question about the air filter!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=28385
Old 03-18-2001, 07:38 AM

Re: yay

Ok both are in and the work. In the process I noticed a head light was out so i fixed that too. What a productive morning!!
I am using 55watts bulbs that produce 100, or somthing, but they are realy 55watt. They are brighter than stock, but still the same color, which sucks. I wanted them to be really white. Oh well..

Hey Nick, once I buy new foglight bulbs I'm going to try to install them. I think where I had problems was that I couldn't find the connection under that plastic cover. What company made your new foglight bulbs?
Old 03-18-2001, 11:17 AM

Re: Sure you can use the CAI filter -->

No problem, You can use the red MAF adapter that comes with the CAI and pop the filter right on it. You have two choices: (1) You can use the resonator that is already installed and attach the adapter fo the MAY and put the filter on it (2) you can use the peace of the CAI that connects to the throttle and the read adapter and the filter. For each case there is somthing you have to consider and that is the MAF will be "floating" with no support (in aither case). You will need to make a bracket to hold the filter in place and not bounce up and down and eventually work itself free. One good example is that of Jeff Ketch. He made his own with materials from Home Depot. The bracket is also provided by JWT (Pop charger) and Stillen (which I think is a better design : more robust) but in symple terms the JWT type (or Jeff's) work fine.
Take a look at http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megam...rt_bracket.jpg
or
http://grprete.jnet.net/images/Maxim...kIntakeOff.jpg