General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Installing Cone Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 10:30 AM
wesley

I have a 95 gxe and a K&N cone filter. When I removed my airbox, there was some kind of sensor scrwed into the box. I unscrewed it and left it outside of the filter and my check engine light came out. Does anybody else have this??

Old 03-15-2001, 11:47 AM

Make sure you didn't unplug the sensor from the MAF or unplug something else. Mine did this upon install also and I forgot to replug it in. Hopefully that's all it is...
Old 03-15-2001, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by wesley
I have a 95 gxe and a K&N cone filter. When I removed my airbox, there was some kind of sensor scrwed into the box. I unscrewed it and left it outside of the filter and my check engine light came out. Does anybody else have this??
it's probably the air temp sensor.
Old 03-15-2001, 05:26 PM

It is the air temp sensor -->

I have a JWT Pop (winter) and have drilled the front plate to hold the air temp sensor so it does not get salt and other stuff. It is safely placed and takes the actual air temperature going into the engine and not the engine bay's temperature.

As for your trouble, you could have pulled the connector unintendedly. Make sure the connection is tight.

Try resetting the ECU:

1.- Near the gas pedal (to the right of it as one looks at it) there is an almost rectangular peace of plastic. It is held in place by two of those plastic pressure type pins, so just get a good hold on it and pull on side at a time and remove the plastic plate.

2.- Put the car in neutral and turn the key to ON (do turn on the car)

3.- There is going to be a screw at the left end of the ECU (as you look at it). If it has never been reset, there would most likely be a transparent plastic tape over it. Insert a flat head screw driver though the tape.

4.- Turn the screw all the way to the right and wait at least 2 seconds (don't be surpriced if you go around one entire turn before reaching the end)

5.- Turn the screw all the way to the left and wait at least another 2 seconds.

6.- Turn the screw to the right again, wait two seconds.

7.- Turn the screw to the left and you are done (make sure you leave it in the position you have found it).

8.- Turn the key to the off position and then start the car.

Any warning light should be gone unless you have a legitimate problem. If that is the case, there is a way to diagnose the problem and that is by doing steps 1-4. You must be alert and monitor (count) the series of long and short light pulses (the order is important). This is a code and you will have to cross reference this to a fault table.
I think Cheston has a good explanation on the procedure and (I think) even the fault codes.
Good luck,

Originally posted by wesley