General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ATTN: those who have blacked out their chrome trim - trimbrite blackout tape?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 07:58 AM
no more maxima...

ATTN: those who have blacked out their chrome trim - trimbrite blackout tape?

Well I painted my chrome trim last summer, and now it is all chipped up..so I scraped the remaining paint off. Anyhow, I have seen a couple of you on here (I forget the usernames) that have used the Trimrbrite blackout tape with great success. I attempted to use it last summer and it came out like crap (had to make multiple cuts to get it to go around curves, etc).

How did you guys manage to apply it properly without making any cuts? Also don't you find the tape WAY to wide for the oem chrome trim? I am thinking of using a heat gun and basically shrinking it to the chrome trim.

I wish I bought an SE now (I hate the chrome trim that much).

Thanks
Old 04-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Banned

SE got chromed trim too bro!!
Old 04-03-2004, 01:13 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

My 2K2 SE has the chrome trim and I didn't like it, so I used that Trim Brite tape. I slit the roll in half so it was closer to the width of the chrome which helped in getting it around the curves. I still needed to use 3 pieces for each window, though. I'm not sure if a heat gun would shrink it.

I don't have any pics yet. I'm doing a couple other things this weekend and I'll post pics when I'm done with them all, but it looks ok. You can only see the seperate pieces when you're really close. The important thing is to have really sharp cutter. I used a single edged razor blade.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Maxpat82
pfft, who lied to you
Old 04-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Trimbrite

I did this about 1 year ago. It is still holding up. I may do it again. It is very hard to tell that anything has been done to the car.

I have a Black Maxima so I still have the chrome door handles.

I also found I did have to use several pieces per window but it was well worht it.

Big Cracker
Old 04-03-2004, 10:22 AM

3rd gen - SE was black trim, GXE chrome

4th gen - SE black, GXE/GLE chrome

5th gen - all models chrome

ive seen 5th gens with black painted trim and it looks good, shouldve kept it black on the SEs

maybe use trim paint sold at autozone or wherever... thats what i used to repaint my faded black window trim
Old 04-03-2004, 10:30 AM
no more maxima...

I am not going to bother with paint anymore. Nothing sticks to the chrome, even if you scuff/sand it. I will try my luck with using the tape. If that doesn't work, then I will have to live with it until I get a new car.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:54 PM
no more maxima...

Bump! Anyone else here able to apply thing thing without cutting??
Old 04-05-2004, 06:05 PM

What about the chrome Maxima badges in the back? Has anyone tried to smoke/black them out? I'm thinking of using my taillight tint on them but not sure how it will look.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by Ludacris
What about the chrome Maxima badges in the back? Has anyone tried to smoke/black them out? I'm thinking of using my taillight tint on them but not sure how it will look.
I used Testor's 'Boyds' Smoked Grey Pearl paint...

Old 04-05-2004, 07:36 PM
I miss the .org!

I think I'm in the minority on here, but I like the chrome accents.

The black looks pretty good on black cars too though, like bluesbrekr...
Old 04-06-2004, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Maxpat82

no it doesnt
Old 04-06-2004, 06:37 PM

i thought 3m vinyl trim tape came in different widths and color? I saw a few different widths in a autozone store once.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:06 PM
no more maxima...

I am thinking of being smart like a DSM owner and just using electrical tape. Actually wait, a DSM owner wouldn't care.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:15 PM

I blacked out mine before winter and its still holding up rather well. The important thing is to take your time and make sure that you cover every possible crease on the trim in order to avoid bubbles. Check my webpage .
Old 04-06-2004, 08:33 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by MaxaholicNY
I blacked out mine before winter and its still holding up rather well. The important thing is to take your time and make sure that you cover every possible crease on the trim in order to avoid bubbles. Check my webpage .
That looks really good. Did you make it all one piece? Did you use a heat gun? Didn't you need to cut it to make it more thin?
Old 04-06-2004, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
I used Testor's 'Boyds' Smoked Grey Pearl paint...

Looks like there are some spots where the paint came off? or are those just reflections? Did you sand them down and paint them while they were on the car? Looks good
Old 04-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Looks like there are some spots where the paint came off? or are those just reflections? Did you sand them down and paint them while they were on the car? Looks good
Just reflections...all the paint is there. I removed the emblem. I washed it with Dawn and used some fine steel wool before painting.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
Just reflections...all the paint is there. I removed the emblem. I washed it with Dawn and used some fine steel wool before painting.
Did you use a clearcoat? and how many coats of the testors did you use?...btw if I'm not mistaken your car has the hamburger screwed in while my badges are glued on. Do you know how I could get my badges back on the car? thanks
Old 04-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Did you use a clearcoat? and how many coats of the testors did you use?...btw if I'm not mistaken your car has the hamburger screwed in while my badges are glued on. Do you know how I could get my badges back on the car? thanks
I used 2 or 3 light coats of paint. No clearcoat, but I will take the emblem off soon to do that. The paint is a bit fragile. My emblem is not screwed in. It has 2 pegs that go through 2 holes in the trunk lid. I'm not sure why Nissan did it this way because nothing secures the pegs inside the trunk. Mine also had some dark gray sticky stuff holding it on, too. I'm not sure what it was. I used 3M mounting tape to put it back on.