General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Misinformation is rampant and destroys the credibility of Our Org

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 07:23 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

The limiting factor on search is CPU, not bandwidth. I'm not sure what the status on the server is nor upgrade possibilities in the near or distant future since Kev has not been on in a long time.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:33 AM

to everyone's comments above. I haven't been around as long as a lot of you, but I have noticed a difference in the quality of threads posted since I joined. Personally, I rarely ever go into the 4th Gen forums anymore...the threads are rediculous as well as reptitious. My time on this forum is mainly spent in the regional forums keeping up with friends. I like the idea of seperating the Generation forums into Technical and General information. I also think the "Wiseman" idea is good solution to the misinformation problem.
It seems that without the search feature, this is the .Org we are faced with. Judging by the repeated posts in the Feedback Forum, there are large number of people willing to donate, but are unable to do so. I am aware that Kevin and Jane are extremely busy people that have a life outside this web site; and I think that they do an outstanding job at keeping the .Org running. It just appears from the outside that nothing is being done to remedy the current (search) situation; and if there is something being done, why not update the members?

My .02
Old 04-11-2004, 08:41 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Isn't this why DBM got annoyed and left
Old 04-11-2004, 09:58 AM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I've suggested this before in the feedback forum, a thread which I bump every few months. Kev and others insist it's too much work, even though it would be the exact same # of forums that we have now.

A "General Rice Crap" forum for blue headlight and carbon fiber dash kit questions, and then a "Technical" forum for each specific generation for gearheads.

For some reason they won't go for it and I honestly can't understand why for the life of me. I still love the .org but I think it could be improved.

Here is why I think that would never happen....the problem to me, is that a lot of the sponsers on here seem to make their money on rice (body kits, lights, heavy wheels, etc). If you try and significantly decrease the amount of ricers, I am sure it will not make the sponsers happy...in turn not making the owner of the site happy.

I still agree with you though, that there should be a rice forum with a post ***** feature for people how need to reply to everythread with "wow that looks cool" or "you got owned" or some other dumb as.s comment to bog the server. Then at the end of each week, the rice/post ***** forum should be emptied/deleted completely.

Phil
Old 04-11-2004, 10:10 AM

The early 4th gens are getting older and the prices are dropping so more teenage people are buying them. In a few more years, you'll see riced out Maximas just like you see Civics on the road now

Like SteVTEC said, forums don't have that much of a problem with bandwidth, they use too much of the server's resources. This slows down the server (ever try to open something when your computer's usage was like 90%) and that's why many hosts don't allow forums to be hosted. Bandwidth is not much of an issue since hosting prices have dropped like crazy.
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
The limiting factor on search is CPU, not bandwidth. I'm not sure what the status on the server is nor upgrade possibilities in the near or distant future since Kev has not been on in a long time.
Maybe it's time to move to a better dedicated server Something with dual processors and 2GB ram
Old 04-11-2004, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
I couldn't agree more. I changed my sig this week because I've been feeling the same thing for quite a while now. I get sick and tired of guys flaming me when I correct them and provide facts and links. The misinformation on this site is never ending. Nearly all of it is heresay and "I heards" which then somehow become factual. Without the search feature available to all, this Org is going to crap very quickly.

Dave
Couldn't agree more.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kingrukus
Here is why I think that would never happen....the problem to me, is that a lot of the sponsers on here seem to make their money on rice (body kits, lights, heavy wheels, etc). If you try and significantly decrease the amount of ricers, I am sure it will not make the sponsers happy...in turn not making the owner of the site happy.

I still agree with you though, that there should be a rice forum with a post ***** feature for people how need to reply to everythread with "wow that looks cool" or "you got owned" or some other dumb as.s comment to bog the server. Then at the end of each week, the rice/post ***** forum should be emptied/deleted completely.

Phil
ingenius, i wa sthinking abou the same thing, get a disposable forum of some sort for all non technical comments
Old 04-11-2004, 02:44 PM

I agree with just about everything that's been said here. I'm 17, and I'll admit, I don't know half as much about cars as the mods and veterans on here. That's why I only post on topics that I have personal experience with (and even then I often put a disclaimer that I might have made a mistake), yet there are times when even I can find misinformation.

The org has been very helpful and I've learned a lot about cars through here, but it definitely has its problems. A system like the "Wisemen" would definitely help with the misinformation. Being able to search would cut down on some of the common threads but it wouldn't solve the problem; after all, look how many people ignore the FAQs. Good luck to the moderators and administrators trying to solve the problems, all your work is appreciated.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Agreed on everything stated. I for one read up on this forum everyday for well over a month before i even registered. I tried to get as much knowledge about our cars as possible before i went asking away. I read the FAQ's and most of the stickies on the forums i chose to post on. Granted the search feature was useful, but damn, i found most 90% of everything i wanted to know in the stickies section...

Eric
Old 04-11-2004, 04:16 PM

I feel that the lack of the "search" feature to everyone is a huge reason why this is happening. A lot of topics that pop up time and time again can be found by a simple search. The FAQ's on top of the forums are great, but they don't answer a lot of questions.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by RastaManMax
For real reading you guys should check out dsmtalk IMHO, they provide better answers for Maxima problems than most of the maxima boards.
I even take my max to the NYC DSm club. It's sorta sad when you have to resort to that.

I already proposed a tech forum in the feedback suggestions thread but noone repsonded.I am debating on starting a thread with a poll that shows how many want it and how many dont.

Edit: Thread was just started please vote
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=301891
Old 04-11-2004, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by j_bryan
Reading this post made me think back to when Daniel B. Martin was around. He was a very knowledgeable, yet humble individual who politely answered a variety of questions on various subjects. He always seemed to have a good attitude even though he often answered the same question over and over.

His unselfishness was truely rare and I think people respected that.

I like the Wisemen idea, and I hope that the search feature can be reactivated in the not too distant future. In the meantime, if I see a question that has been answered in the sticky, I plan to post a link to the sticky. If many of us did this, it would help reduce rampant misinformation.
I agree with you 100%

1) People need to be allowed to donate(I've wanted to donate for who knows how long now) so everyone will be allowed to use the search feature eventually.
2) I think the "wiseman" idea is a great idea
3) I also like the idea of splitting up the Gen forums into technical, and cosmetics section
Old 04-11-2004, 06:01 PM
STFU n00b!

Honestly, when these forums were set up, the 1-2,3,4,5 gen forums WERE meant as tech forums, with the OT forum a place for everyone to talk about misc crap. over the years, it's gotten to where every forum is a social room of it's own, and there are no real technical forums.

resurrecting the search would help a LOT in cutting down on the number of BS threads, but the same threads will still be drug up over and over again.. There are several different types of categories of members on the .org, many of us belong to several..

you've got:

Maintenance/Tech discussion
Show & Shine
blue lights & carbon wings
I just bought a Maxima, what the heck is this noise?
audio/ ICE
1/4 mile junkies
road course & auto X.
turbo, SC, NOS
performance mods
dyno queens
street racers
general BS

and several other categories...

The way I see it, many of each of those categories are currently being lumped into the general and 2,3,4,5,6 gen forums.... with several hundred thousand posts out here already, you can't completely restructure the site so that it's easily searchable without spending months reading and re-classifying the threads..

Now, I'm all in favor of redoing a few things to get rid of the rice & beans when I'm trying to help or get some tech info from other members, but I just don't see how it can be done without losing a lot of what we have already. MOST of my 8XXX posts are of the technical variety (or 'buy my stuff!!' threads), and I would be furious if the years I've spent answering questions for 3rd gens were to dissappear.

So for all the guys that want that fixed--- how do YOU suggest that it get done?
Old 04-11-2004, 06:24 PM

So now even donating members can't use search to locate prior info to pass on
to question askers?

At least the sticky's still work.

Hope the situation with search can be resolved soon. It was about the
only useful thing left on the orgy. LOL
Old 04-12-2004, 12:22 AM

since joining here ive definitely noticed a decrease in the level of usefulness and quality across our forum. However i still think there is hope and that is in the search function, now i know this isnt an feature to have runnning, but the other night i clicked on the "Archive" link at the bottom of the page and it amazed me at the amount of information this forum holds. Another thing i remeber when i first joined is that when someone asked a question for the umpteenth time a mod would tell them to use the search and lock the thread. IMO that kept the forums much cleaner and user friendly
Old 04-12-2004, 01:20 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Over the past 8 months of me being a member of this forum I have also noticed a decline in the constructive criticism area. I, like many of you am also tired of the countless numbers of threads relating to "spinners" and ones that are typed out in some new language that I for one didn't learn in English class. Chat lingo is fine if that’s what you're doing, not when you title a thread with "Jus got ma fat azz dubs" However, I also realize that there are many members on here that provide an abundance of useful information and tips regarding our cars. The amount of time and effort some members like housecor have put into their websites is obviously not just for themselves. We also have some really great Vendors and members who provide us with some wonderful Group Deals. Benefits like these, for me, outweigh many of the other issues. I have found myself a few times being sucked into some of these ridiculous arguments, but recently found that by taking the higher ground, you don't only make yourself look more mature and respected, you make the other person look even more foolish than their post did on its own. Granted, there is no way we will be able to get everyone to have this mind-set, but I think that it is just as important for us to focus on the positive aspects of this site. If we keep saying that it doesn't look like its ever going to get any better, it won't. Let’s start with ourselves and maybe it will catch on.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by raga55
Another thing i remeber when i first joined is that when someone asked a question for the umpteenth time a mod would tell them to use the search and lock the thread. IMO that kept the forums much cleaner and user friendly
An example of this is in the lube forum where the question "How do I remove my oil filter" was asked. Now I don't fault the person asking but after 33 responses, the person should have been pointed to the "how to change your oil" sticky and the thread locked.

I am just as guilty, I responded as well and am just as easily drawn into scraps over stupid subjects that don't matter diddly. We all need to be more vigilant in how and what we respond to.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:55 AM

This is why I stopped coming to the org so frequently as I have in the past...
Old 04-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

We have to look like idiots on here. Just one example:

I was tired of reading 47,954 new threads on 4th gen suspension choices. I took the info from an old standby thread and made a new post. In that post, I added TONS of input- basically the aggregate of what had been listed in 5 pages of suspension choices as of last spring. To this, I added a few new springs. The post is by no means the be-all and end-al, but it is a start. In the other threads, there have been a lot of links posted to a non-org website (a private website) that is well-laid out and well researched it has good info and good links.

The problem? It is at odds with the 5 pages of information from last spring. Several of the products are listed with totally different characteristics on the 2 different sources. For one spring (which I happen to run on my i30), the information is all banged-up.

It is no wonder that people have problems getting the right information around here. On the things that experts DO know about, newbies or heresayers seem to argue, and on "unknown" topics, people just seem to make $h!+ up.

I don't know that there is a solution to this, but I just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by mitch33x
I agree with you 100%

1) People need to be allowed to donate(I've wanted to donate for who knows how long now) so everyone will be allowed to use the search feature eventually.
2) I think the "wiseman" idea is a great idea
3) I also like the idea of splitting up the Gen forums into technical, and cosmetics section
100%
Old 04-12-2004, 05:50 PM
V^___^V

i agree with jiime.

i usually answer those basic questions from my personal experience. i also noticed i have been getting a lot of PMs regarding basic performance and suspension questions from orgers. i really appreciated and i answer them with honesty.

thank you jime for this thread. hopefully maxima.org will become a better place.

hopefully....
Old 04-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Wild at Hurt

Bad info can not only screw up a car but get people hurt.
I have pointed out bad info a number of times and I am going to stop being polite about it
Old 04-12-2004, 07:34 PM

does this have any relation to the guy that told ppl to pull the fuse on ther fuel pump and run their car out of gas to minimize fuel pressue so u dont spill gas when changing a fuel filter?

MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK PPL

Sounds like someone is a little naive. True its not right to give false info and cause someone to screw up ur car. But honestly if you dont know enough about something to know that someone is FULL OF IT, you dont belong in that situation anyway.

Im not trying to stick up for the SAPS that give bad info. Go ahead drill into them for all i care. Or just whine about it.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:01 PM
brotherhood of tq

i really like this thread and i know that i dont have alot of posts here i really do alot of reading before i post something and i've been amazed at some of the negative things people have had to say on here to other people. i think that biggest problem we have with our forum is that people go into the 4th gen forum and every topic is discussed there. If we had a 4th gen room and then a 4th gen performance and a 4th gen audio, 4th gen cosmetic an so on and so forth it would realy help people to get better results from their questions. i would think that we wouldn't have a problem with rice things or people posting the same question again. i dont want to get flammed on but on my old tiburon forum they had it broken down like that and it made it easy to find answers and read wat you only want to read.
heres the link to it if anyone cares http://www.newtiburon.com/
Will
Old 04-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by VQvroom
does this have any relation to the guy that told ppl to pull the fuse on ther fuel pump and run their car out of gas to minimize fuel pressue so u dont spill gas when changing a fuel filter?

MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK PPL

Sounds like someone is a little naive. True its not right to give false info and cause someone to screw up ur car. But honestly if you dont know enough about something to know that someone is FULL OF IT, you dont belong in that situation anyway.

Im not trying to stick up for the SAPS that give bad info. Go ahead drill into them for all i care. Or just whine about it.

You should pull the fuel pump fuse. It's easier to do the job with the least amount of pressure in the lines.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:22 PM
SXN

im bringing up the integrity and credibility of the org by not posting nearly as much anymore works magically
Old 04-12-2004, 10:24 PM

Ok somebody just posted what would WE do. Here's a few pointers that i see that would work

1) "Off Topic" forum for everybody so they don't have to ***** around in the other forums.

2) Moderator involvement in moving posts to the correct forum(s). With good moderator involvement and deleting useless posts and moving stuff around, people will get the idea.

3) Wisemen is a good idea.

4) Without use of the search feature you're always going to get repetitive questions, but if that can't be enabled without bogging down the server, then leave that out. I'm sure you guys have thought about this, so leave this out then. Maybe there could be some sort of filter on the amount of searches per day per person or something? With donating members getting unlimited.

5) "Advanced Disscussion" subdirectory for each generation. Check out supraforums. If that takes up too much server space or maintainence, then just 1 Advanced Discussion could be created like dsmtalk.

6) "Rice forum". Sorry, but i can't think of a better name to this, but you get the idea. This could be emptied and/or useless posts could be deleted.

7) "We've seen this before" forum where the moderators sticky stuff that's been asked 5 billion times in posts containing links to the old post where it was discussed before, then just delete everybody who posts questions about the stickied topics.

Feel free to add more. If you noticed that this seems to resemble dsmtalk and supraforums the most, it's true. I believe that those forums are organized very well, especially dsmtalk. Oh well, hopefully somebody will take this into consideration, and i won't be just talking to a

LEMAR
Old 04-13-2004, 01:36 AM

My 2-pennies:

If you consider yourself someone who is wise enough to know to difference between a bogus question / answer & a ligitimate one. Then you shouldn't take it to heart when someone ask's their question or gives their answer, unless for some reason your doubting yourself & the information you supply? Remember there are some member's on here that don't even own a Maxima. So your basically saying that their 2 pennies is worthless because they don't have first hand experience with Nissan product's. Now call it what you want, but that to me seems down right immature. Basing someones credential's strictly by the type of vehicle the person drives will leave most of these self proclaimed "WISEMEN" on the org. limited in their automotive knowledge. If there was only 1 way to do something then everything would be equal correct? I'm pretty sure god gave us our brain's so we could think for ourselves, how quickly it responds is limited to the individual who's trying to process the information....
Old 04-13-2004, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
You should pull the fuel pump fuse. It's easier to do the job with the least amount of pressure in the lines.

and continue to run the car out of gas afterwards?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:15 AM

and continue to run the car out of gas afterwards?
No the car will not run out of gas....since the fuel pump is will not operate with the fuse pulled....you will only use the gas that is in lines.

I don't have the FSM for my max but I do have the FSM for my old 280ZX and 300ZX and this is one of the first steps in replacing the fuel filter
Old 04-13-2004, 12:42 PM

First Thread I've read ALL THE WAY through in a long time. Good to see some of the veterans come outta the woodwork. Hope this actually changes things.

Capitone
Old 04-14-2004, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by 95Max
No the car will not run out of gas....since the fuel pump is will not operate with the fuse pulled....you will only use the gas that is in lines.

I don't have the FSM for my max but I do have the FSM for my old 280ZX and 300ZX and this is one of the first steps in replacing the fuel filter

i can understand the part about pulling the fuse and dont think that parts wrong. but trying to run the car out of gas after the fuse is pulled, thats what i have the issue with.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:20 AM

i can understand the part about pulling the fuse and dont think that parts wrong. but trying to run the car out of gas after the fuse is pulled, thats what i have the issue with.
You aren't running the car out of gas, just the fuel supply line. All you are doing is trying to relieve the pressure in the fuel system. If you don't start the car after removing the fuse the pressure will remain, so there is no sense removing the fuse in the first place. The whole idea is to start the car with no fuel pump running and the engine will just sputter and die when the pressure drops off.

If you let it sit long enough it will probably bleed off the pressure eventually, but that depends on the condition of your fuel system and if you have a pressure gauge to check it.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:22 AM

What is happening is that you are looking to reduce fuel pressure before removing the fuel filter. Since the fuel pump isn't operating the car will run until the pressure is to low to deliver enough fuel to keep the car running. All the gas is not removed but better then removing the fuel filter at full pressure.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:09 AM
das

There were similar problems to those being discussed here on another board I was on w/my previous car.

In some ways, as this is a public board, you'll always get that info.

however, one way the mods on the other board fixed it was to create new categories, rather than by generation:

- suspension
- intake
- exhuast
- cosmetic
- engine mods (breatk this up as you see fit)
- lighting
- etc.

just a thought as it worked well...

das
Old 04-14-2004, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 95Max
What is happening is that you are looking to reduce fuel pressure before removing the fuel filter. Since the fuel pump isn't operating the car will run until the pressure is to low to deliver enough fuel to keep the car running. All the gas is not removed but better then removing the fuel filter at full pressure.

I've probably posted this advice in my fuel filter thread in 5th gen... (this is for VQvroom)-
Replacing any part of the pressurized fuel system is easier with the fuel system pressure relieved, as close to atmospheric pressure as possible. The goal, therefore, is to relieve fuel pressure.
Easiest way to do this is to remove the fuel pump fuse and run the car. The car will soon stall, as the fuel line will quickly drop in pressure as the fuel is used up by the injectors, as well as returned to the fuel tank via the fuel return line. "Using up the fuel" you could call it--using up the fuel in the FUEL LINE, NOT THE FUEL TANK. Although technically there will still be fuel inside the fuel line, but it will be under much less pressure than before. Under these conditions, it is less messy to disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel pump.

Be sure to reinstall the fuel pump fuse before you start up the car after completing the fuel filter replacement procedure. It will take some time (a few seconds) to fill up the fuel line and bring it back up to the normal operating pressure required for proper operation of the fuel injection system.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:52 AM

OK. i dont mean this is going to run the tank dry. I know why it was said and i dont disagree that its going to relieve the fuel pressure in the fuel line.

I just think that running the car out of gas whenther its the tank (which is even worse cause of settiment) or the fuel line. Its just seems like added stress on the car's starter motor and the thoughts of the dry cylinder doesnt give me the greatest of thoughts.

Im not trying to make any enemies here i just think its a bad idea. And i really would rather spill some gas then risk anything. Im also thiinking about the working of a 2 stroke motor and how the gasoline lubricates the cylinder. I also know that the maxima is a 4 stroke but thats where my thoughts stem from.

PS. isnt ther a fuel pressure release valve? like a tire stem looking thing on the fuel line?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:11 AM

OK. i dont mean this is going to run the tank dry. I know why it was said and i dont disagree that its going to relieve the fuel pressure in the fuel line.

I just think that running the car out of gas whenther its the tank (which is even worse cause of settiment) or the fuel line. Its just seems like added stress on the car's starter motor and the thoughts of the dry cylinder doesnt give me the greatest of thoughts.

Im not trying to make any enemies here i just think its a bad idea. And i really would rather spill some gas then risk anything. Im also thiinking about the working of a 2 stroke motor and how the gasoline lubricates the cylinder. I also know that the maxima is a 4 stroke but thats where my thoughts stem from.

PS. isnt ther a fuel pressure release valve? like a tire stem looking thing on the fuel line?
Ahhhh I see. Well your worry sounds pretty unfounded to me, at least in the assertion that gasoline does NOT lube the motor on a 4-stroke (motor oil does; if you're gonna worry about anything, think about what happens after an oil/filter change when you run the motor for a second or 2 with minimal oil pressure to the crank and heads...)

As for starter wear, I doubt it's enough to worry, unless you play like an idiot and run the starter for 30 seconds at a time... (realistically I run the engine, let it stall with the throttle down 1/2, then run the starter for about 3 seconds after it stalls).

As for running the engine with low fuel pressure like that, perhaps you could consider the negative effects of running an engine lean (pinging/pre-ignition). I doubt this is a problem either, because if you are performing such service to a car, it's either been sitting around for a while or it's off and you've let it cool down for a few minutes, in which case the likelihood of pinging/pre-ignition occurring due to running lean for a couple seconds can't be that high.

As for a fuel pressure release valve, I don't think ours (at least 5th gens don't) come with one stock, although you can install an aftermarket valve if you'd like.

So in summary, your concerns may have merit, but for the short period of time in which the engine/starter is exposed to these conditions, it's negligible in the long run. The benefits of replacing a clogged/dirty fuel filter far outweight the negative aspects many times over. You're more likely to kill your starter fussing with a bad battery than during a fuel filter replacement procedure.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:15 AM

Also, FYI, if you ever install an aftermarket schrader valve for these purposes, you might consider the following-

Relieving fuel pressure will become easy; you just hook up a gauge to the valve and relieve the pressure into a container or something.

Rebuilding fuel pressure after the service is complete can be done without too much harm to the starter. On my 2000, the FSM mentions that, when the key turns to ON, the fuel pump runs for a second or so. However, turning the key OFF and back ON does not; the only way to force the fuel pump to turn on is to turn it to START.
The trick, therefore, is to turn it to START for a split second and return it to ON without the engine starting. You should be able to hear the fuel pump operating, especially if the rear seat and access door are still removed. It runs for about ~1-2 seconds each time. Do this 2 or 3 times, and the fuel pressure may be high enough that it will require less than 1 second of starter time to start the engine. (my engine starts in less than a second under normal conditions)
Old 04-14-2004, 11:29 AM

regarding spirilis........

WOW......

to me it just seems like a halfass way of doing it. Besides what i mentioned before i would think the car would chug severely. Obviously I dont have my haines manual here right now to read so i cant really find if this is technically the correct way to do it.

Quick Reply: Misinformation is rampant and destroys the credibility of Our Org