General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Misinformation is rampant and destroys the credibility of Our Org

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VQvroom
regarding spirilis........

WOW......

to me it just seems like a halfass way of doing it. Besides what i mentioned before i would think the car would chug severely. Obviously I dont have my haines manual here right now to read so i cant really find if this is technically the correct way to do it.
These procedures come from AlldataDIY.com, which I believe is just a copy of the Nissan FSM reformatted into web pages-

Before disconnecting fuel line, release fuel pressure from fuel line to eliminate danger.

WITH CONSULT-II

1. Turn ignition switch "ON" .
2. Perform "FUEL PRESSURE RELEASE" in "WORK SUPPORT" mode with CONSULT-II.
3. Start engine.
4. After engine stalls, crank it two or three times to release all fuel pressure.
5. Turn ignition switch "OFF ".
WITHOUT CONSULT-II

1. Remove fuel pump fuse located in fuse box.
2. Start engine.
3. After engine stalls, crank it two or three times to release all fuel pressure.
4. Turn ignition switch "OFF" .
5. Reinstall fuel pump fuse after servicing fuel system.
Yeah, the engine bucks like a b***h before it stalls. I guess Nissan agrees that is acceptable
Honestly, I SERIOUSLY doubt it will do any damage to the engine in the long run.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:30 PM

I really don't think there is going to be any damage...used this procedure with my 280ZX until it was "remodeled" by another driver just shy of 200000 miles
Old 04-14-2004, 12:40 PM

well you can call me a monkey's uncle. YOUR RIGHT.

i just checked my haines manual. it basically states the same thing. ina slightly different fashion. (it says to pull the fuse while its running)

it is correct and from what im readin this is the technically correct way to do it.

Using this example is/was definatly not a good one obviously.... But it sorta shows how you use your knowledge and judgement to decide on what is and what is not misinformation. From what i know about engines i would gather that running the thing out of gas intentionally wouldnt be the best thing to do. So i wouldnt use this advice until i followed up with it further, like in my original statement (- the example LOL) use what you know to rule out whats right and wrong.

ok you can me now LOL
Old 04-14-2004, 12:46 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by spirilis
Also, FYI, if you ever install an aftermarket schrader valve for these purposes, you might consider the following-

Relieving fuel pressure will become easy; you just hook up a gauge to the valve and relieve the pressure into a container or something.

Rebuilding fuel pressure after the service is complete can be done without too much harm to the starter. On my 2000, the FSM mentions that, when the key turns to ON, the fuel pump runs for a second or so. However, turning the key OFF and back ON does not; the only way to force the fuel pump to turn on is to turn it to START.
The trick, therefore, is to turn it to START for a split second and return it to ON without the engine starting. You should be able to hear the fuel pump operating, especially if the rear seat and access door are still removed. It runs for about ~1-2 seconds each time. Do this 2 or 3 times, and the fuel pressure may be high enough that it will require less than 1 second of starter time to start the engine. (my engine starts in less than a second under normal conditions)

How did this become the technical assistance thread??

You do not need to hit START to prime the fuel system. Simply turn the ignition full on for 3 seconds then off for 5+ seconds. Repeat the process a few times and the fuel rail will be pressurized. Then it will take a few seconds to bleed out the air once the car is cranked.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN

You do not need to hit START to prime the fuel system. Simply turn the ignition full on for 3 seconds then off for 5+ seconds. Repeat the process a few times and the fuel rail will be pressurized. Then it will take a few seconds to bleed out the air once the car is cranked.
Oh sweet, didn't know that
Old 04-14-2004, 01:05 PM

well you can call me a monkey's uncle. YOUR RIGHT.

i just checked my haines manual. it basically states the same thing. ina slightly different fashion. (it says to pull the fuse while its running)

it is correct and from what im readin this is the technically correct way to do it.

Using this example is/was definatly not a good one obviously.... But it sorta shows how you use your knowledge and judgement to decide on what is and what is not misinformation. From what i know about engines i would gather that running the thing out of gas intentionally wouldnt be the best thing to do. So i wouldnt use this advice until i followed up with it further, like in my original statement (- the example LOL) use what you know to rule out whats right and wrong.

ok you can me now LOL
It was good enough. I know some Honda guy who uses the most elaborate method to ensure that the engine never runs above starter-speed after an oil change. He disconnects his distributor, uses a leaf blower at the oil fillter cap, makes sure EVERY drop of oil is out before installing the new filter/drain plug, then cranks the engine w/ distributor disconnected (cuts ignition & fuel) until the oil light disappears, and then continues cranking for another second or 2. Then he reconnects everything and starts it up. Wears down the starter, but he'd rather replace a starter than rebuild the engine.

Now THAT'S going a little too far
Old 04-14-2004, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Terrorists aren't the only hijackers.....this is to inform you that this tread has been hijacked....
Old 04-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Wild at Hurt

Originally Posted by SXN
im bringing up the integrity and credibility of the org by not posting nearly as much anymore works magically
Stop that! You need to get LAID.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:22 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by Mick Max
Stop that! You need to get LAID.
....mick, you lost me here buddy
Old 04-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Wild at Hurt

Oh, perhaps it is me that is lost, nothing new with that.

You have been down lately. Looked like you were putting yourself down.
If thats it then snap out of it.
If not I am M Max and im an idiot
Old 04-15-2004, 11:08 PM
Still kickin'

Ok...

What is wrong with you people?!?! I'm sorry to be angry, but you know, the last 10 or so posts are why people started this thread in the first place. I know Spirilis (hope he remembers me ), and he really is a very smart guy (both book smart, and car smart). But honestly, i don't know why the whole fuel filter/FP had to be argued and played out in this thread. PM's do still work, and "hijacking" this thread with 90% OT stuff really kinda irks me.

I've been on the org for a long time, and do agree that there is a downward trend in the info/topics on here. A couple of the things that may be aiding the problem is that people just don't realize that they're:
1) Giving wrong/misguided info
2) slowly going OT
3) actually the problem

I mean, let's be real. Although i rarely ever post on here (i'm always around though), i'm like most everyone else; i won't reply if i don't know, or if i am afraid i may be wrong.

Now what can we do to fix the problem? To be quite honest, all we can do is complain and hope the powers above try to correct it. But you see there-in lies yet another problem. By complaining, we're not only conveying our feelings, but we're basically saying, "you ned to fix this." The thing is Jane and Kevin are the ones providing this place for us free of charge and out of their love for the Maxima community. Yes they receive money through advertising/sponsors, but it's still them. The moderators should probably be included too, and i feel they get far too little credit for what they do. I too may be going off topic with this, but i feel this is what it boils down to. The way i see it, we should just be grateful for haveing Maxima.org, and learn to deal with the problems. Seriously, is it really that unbearable to have the same question asked over and over, or have a few people that think they know every answer to every problem? I think if you look at any "board" on the internet, they all have problems specific to their "board." Instead of complaining about it, or not even that, just voicing your opinions, think about it first. I totally, 100%, agree with the whole premise of this thread. Jime is a great guy, and i totally feel for what he's talking about. Believe me, there are quite a few thing i would change on here as well, but that's really not up to me to decide. Plus, there is the Feedback/Suggestion Forum . I think that the Org as whole has alot of very knowledgable people on it (read: knows alot about cars/maximas), and there are also alot of very smart people on here as well (read: book smarts). The problem is that some people think they know something, and give their thoughts as facts. But let's face it, we all do that. We all think we know the answer, and are willing to stand by it. Sure, we'll digress if proved wrong (although some are less willing than others). It's human nature to make mistakes. Also, as far as the "dumb"/repitious questions are concerned, i have a couple ides for that. One thing you could do is simply just keep on surfing, and let a moderator tell them either to check the FAQ or give them the answer. We were all noobs once, and all remember the constant, "Search!" or "Read the FAQ!" replies to our "dumb"/repeat questions. i personally got tired of being told that, so i did. I know search is gone, but people really do take for granted how much usefull info is in the FAQ's. Sure they may not be laid out perfectly, but hey, it's there. I know i'm sort of venting, but i think people really make to much of these little nit-pickey things on here. You know what, the major demographic of the org is 20-35 y/o men. most of us go here to relax from the daily grind of work/school, bosses, deadlines, wives, teachers, and endless responsibilties that take the vast majority of our energy each day. We want everything to be readily accessible, uncluttered, and truthful. But the fact of the matter is, there are teenagers on here with the attention span of a gnat, that would rather just ask than look. And on the other end, there are older guys who think they know everything and get ticked off if you tell them other wise. then you have the guys who get off by causing problems, and try to as much as possible.

By now, i hope you should see where i'm attempting to go with this. The org isn't perfect, and more than likely will never be. Someone will always be there to complain about something, and there will always be the few that don't do things the way everyone else does. the fact of the matter is, we as a community just need to suck it up, and just learn to deal with all the little prblems on here. For the most part we do anyway. I don't want you to think that complaining is wrong, obviously, but i just want you to realize how well off we truly are here. Complaining does produce change, i'll be the first to admit that, but what do we really have to complain about? A few new guys who don't know better, and people who think they're Mr. Goodwrench really aren't that bad. I know that the whole premise of this thread was due to the plethora of bad info that seems to keep floating around. I just felt that alot of people have been complaining lately about stupid ****. This tread is a valid complaint, but it's really not a complaint that can be "fixed". Honestly, this kind of thing is just going to happen. I say just move on and don't let it bother you. Sure, if you know something is wrong about someone's info, just say so. But other wise if you don't know, don't bother, there's bound to be at least one person to find the mistake and correct it. With that said, as one person said earlier, we as a community need to be more open minded. If someone says you're wrong, don't jump up on your high-horse and refuse to come down....

Ok, i've said enough, you get the idea, and you know how i feel. I'm 19, and i love this place. just learn to sift through the bs, and it's really not that bad
Old 04-16-2004, 03:50 AM

Mad-MAX_SE I started this thread because I was having a major problem with an individual in another forum.

That has been addressed and fixed. Many thanks to the moderators and many others who came out in support.

You are correct, 99.9% of the time we just have to be more tolerable (thats life). Its not too difficult to sift through the stuff you don't want to read and I have no problem with that.

My only problem was someone actually giving out WRONG info that could cause a catastrophic engine failure or even worse suggesting they purchase something and waste their money.

Great ideas and maturity for a 19 yr old. WOW
Old 04-16-2004, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by DSMJim
They don't have the power to close/lock threads like moderators do it's only title. Moderators are known to be "wisemen" already, where the title given to others is mearly a way for newer or less mechanically inclined members to know who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't

When it comes down to it, we all have the right to be here (hell I don't even own a Maxima) but certian people should be regonized for being major players on their board and the guys who help others because they have already figured it out and help to pave the way for others.

How fast your car goes is not an indication of how smart you are either. It's determined by the quality of your posts and how you help others and know what your talking about. Not your post count or time slip. Honestly I think the post count number should be removed, it stops people from posting stupid stuff so their number gets higher. You can list it on the profile page but remove it from the thread view.

Anyway enough BS out of me...
Wow, didnt expect to run into another DSM'r here. I am a member on DSMTuners also and DSMJim is highly respected for the advice he gives. The Wisemen there do a GREAT job.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Still kickin'

Originally Posted by Jime
Mad-MAX_SE I started this thread because I was having a major problem with an individual in another forum.

That has been addressed and fixed. Many thanks to the moderators and many others who came out in support.

You are correct, 99.9% of the time we just have to be more tolerable (thats life). Its not too difficult to sift through the stuff you don't want to read and I have no problem with that.

My only problem was someone actually giving out WRONG info that could cause a catastrophic engine failure or even worse suggesting they purchase something and waste their money.
Jime, i really hope you don't think that any part of of my spiel was directed towards you in anyway. You have helped me in the past, and even if i asked the same thing 3 times, you still answered it. It was more of a general statement to many. i didn't know the underlying reason for the thread, but now that i know, i certainly can understand your anger/resentment for those types of people. However, as i said before, people are always going to believe what they believe, and some are just to stubborn to admit being wrong.

Originally Posted by Jime
Great ideas and maturity for a 19 yr old. WOW
Thanks, that really means alot to me.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:00 PM

"Mad-MAX_SE......." Well said!
Old 04-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

This is exactly what Jime is talking about.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=301963

A bunch of clueless idiots here arguing so strongly about things they honestly don't even have the first clue about, nor do they even understand.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by SteVTEC

A bunch of clueless idiots here arguing so strongly about things they honestly don't even have the first clue about, nor do they even understand.

I read the thread, whats ur point? who doesnt know anything? its a bunch of ricers and gear heads bickering back and forth about common problems with nissan (which im beginning to hate bc of the poor attitudes of rice here) and domestic cars. And both of their points are pretty much true.

And for the rest of you...about the fuel filter change. this is half assed and nissan should have put a fuel pressure release valve on the fuel line. This way of changing the fuel filter is correct but its half assed cause there is no valve. Thats a fact. And thats why I thought it was incorrect.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I read the thread, whats ur point?
Old 04-17-2004, 07:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SteVTEC

It was kinda good to see some boys from ls1tech come over and school a little bit. I visit that board sometimes, which btw is a great forum with VERY little misinformation,flaming, and BS. Great Place to buy used parts(n2o,slicks,etc.) and they are very civil and level-headed concerning what car I drive. Hence: they do not act like little children when I tell them I'm racing my maxima
Old 04-17-2004, 08:10 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

well unless your a tech, or personally have done what is being asked just done answer