General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Do our auto trans have a pressure sending ports ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 07:24 PM

Do our auto trans have a pressure sending ports ?

I'm reading about how grand prix installs transmission temperature gauges and I was wondering if we have a pressure sending port on our transmission that we could tap as well. I want to put a transmission temperature gauge on my car because I'll be towing.

Here's the link to see what I am talking about on the grand prixs.
http://www.grandprix.net/upgrades/transtempgauge.html

It's on that second picture.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by SamMan23
I'm reading about how grand prix installs transmission temperature gauges and I was wondering if we have a pressure sending port on our transmission that we could tap as well. I want to put a transmission temperature gauge on my car because I'll be towing. Here's the link to see what I am talking about on the grand prixs. http://www.grandprix.net/upgrades/transtempgauge.html
It's on that second picture. Thanks.
Since you have a 2002 I'm going to say I'm not sure, but if you had a 92-94 SE I would say for sure yes. I would probably go as far and say the 4th gens have these ports also since those trannies are very similar to the 92-94 SE (RE4FO4) Not only do "my" tranny have a port where I can adapt a sender for a fluid temp gauge but it also have ports where I can check various line pressures.

MIKE
Old 04-19-2004, 10:51 PM

Actually I have a 98 4th gen. Where can I find one of these ports? Thanks for responding Candiman.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

there are "plugs" on the side of the tranny - remove the driver side wheel & splash guard you"ll see them right in front of you. Thy look like engine plugs - ( i hope that you get the idea )

I'm not sure on how to remove them though - my local dealer did pressure testing recently.

Nick.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:49 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

I'm reading about how grand prix installs transmission temperature gauges and I was wondering if we have a pressure sending port on our transmission that we could tap as well. I want to put a transmission temperature gauge on my car because I'll be towing.

Here's the link to see what I am talking about on the grand prixs.
http://www.grandprix.net/upgrades/transtempgauge.html

It's on that second picture.

Thanks.
i have one installed on my 96 auto (installed the temp. sender into the tranny pan)

Old 04-20-2004, 09:06 PM

tell me about the installation into the oil pan. I'm thinking it may be difficult to get the threading right for the pressure port because it's probably metric threaded. Did you need a tap and die set to drill the pan?
Old 04-21-2004, 05:08 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

tell me about the installation into the oil pan. I'm thinking it may be difficult to get the threading right for the pressure port because it's probably metric threaded. Did you need a tap and die set to drill the pan?
the installation involved dropping the tranny pan, and drilling the hole (if you look at the car from the front, my temp sender is on the left side of the pan) in the pan. it was actually done for me in a shop (took about 15minutes to drill the hole and put the temp. sensor in). sealant tape (i think the kind u use on the pipe threads at home) was used as well, and it is not leaking.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nick
there are "plugs" on the side of the tranny - remove the driver side wheel & splash guard you"ll see them right in front of you. Thy look like engine plugs - ( i hope that you get the idea )

I'm not sure on how to remove them though - my local dealer did pressure testing recently.

Nick.
Do you guys think it would be more ideal to get the sender into one of these plugs versus having to put a hole in the tranny pan? I've got my trans gauge sitting here in front of me, but still trying to figure out just exactly where to place the darn sender
Old 04-24-2004, 05:05 PM

Thanks.
How much can you actually tow with a Max? Why not just install a tranny oil cooler?
Old 04-25-2004, 09:21 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Originally Posted by MaximaGTR34
Do you guys think it would be more ideal to get the sender into one of these plugs versus having to put a hole in the tranny pan? I've got my trans gauge sitting here in front of me, but still trying to figure out just exactly where to place the darn sender
you can place the sender anywhere, the question is what do you want to measure? the reason i put the sender in the pan, is i want to see hot the "real" the temp.in the transmission is. i had it previously plugged in in the return line, but the fittings were leaking a little, so i went with the less messy install.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:12 PM

I did intall a tranny cooler. It seemed to have done well. I only got 15 mpg though. It was probably somewhere between 1500-2000 lbs. from san antonio to houston. next tow will be from houston to atlanta.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:35 PM

I did intall a tranny cooler. It seemed to have done well. I only got 15 mpg though. It was probably somewhere between 1500-2000 lbs. from san antonio to houston. next tow will be from houston to atlanta.
That seems like a lot of weight for a Max to pull behind it. If it was a taller than the car, I could see how the wind resistance would cause your car to work much harder pulling the trailer. I looked in my owner's manual and the maximum trailer load for my 02 is 1000 lbs with a max tongue load of 110 lbs.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
That seems like a lot of weight for a Max to pull behind it. If it was a taller than the car, I could see how the wind resistance would cause your car to work much harder pulling the trailer. I looked in my owner's manual and the maximum trailer load for my 02 is 1000 lbs with a max tongue load of 110 lbs.

Yes. You are right. The specs for this car is 1000 lbs. The factory specs are always much more conservative. I have a 98 with the 3000cc motor. The same engine and I think same transmission is also speced to pull 3500 lbs on the Nissan Quest. The engine is fully capable of pulling a properly loaded 2000 lb trailer. Driving it and making sure you have enough stopping distance is where it gets tricky. The brakes on this car is not meant to stop such a heavy load. You also have to make sure that the transmission does not have to shift often. This is where most heat is generated during towing. If it hunts for gears then you need to drop out of overdrive and slow down.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:09 AM

Yes. You are right. The specs for this car is 1000 lbs. The factory specs are always much more conservative. I have a 98 with the 3000cc motor. The same engine and I think same transmission is also speced to pull 3500 lbs on the Nissan Quest. The engine is fully capable of pulling a properly loaded 2000 lb trailer. Driving it and making sure you have enough stopping distance is where it gets tricky. The brakes on this car is not meant to stop such a heavy load. You also have to make sure that the transmission does not have to shift often. This is where most heat is generated during towing. If it hunts for gears then you need to drop out of overdrive and slow down.
My 95 KingCab with the 2.4L 5 speed is rated to pull 3500 lbs. The auto with the same engine is only 2000 lbs. The biggest difference between my truck and my car is the truck has a frame and the car is unibody. If you are pulling more than 1000 lbs you need a trailer with electric brakes on it. As you stated, our cars are not meant to stop the additional loads.