General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New Maxima Owner - Questions!!!! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 05:03 PM
Canada97se

Hey Guys,

Well, I bought my first Maxima about a month ago and I love it! I haven't owned many cars in the past (I'm only 22) but I have to say that this is the nicest car I've owned. I used to own a few domestic hogs and a 5.0 Mustang (don't laugh) but the Maxima beats them all, hands down.

Anyways, I have a couple of questions. My car is a Black 97 SE with 5 speed, black leather, tint, loaded. 100% Stock. One of the reasons I bought the car was because I didn't think I would spend any dough on upgrades. Well, I want to already! First off, the BOSE system just isn't cutting it anymore. I would like to upgrade just a little and keep the head unit the same. I looked into a couple of subs for the truck but I don't want to block the truck pass through. I would love some ideas on a nice crisp system. No overkill just juice it up a little.

Next, is anyone else's Maxima hard to start when it's warm? My car fires up fine when it's been sitting for over 3 hours or so, or when it's been shut off within a half hour or so. But between a half hour and 3 hours, it takes about 10 seconds of turning over before it starts. I was reading the manual and it says to press the gas to the floor to start it when it's warm. What's that about?!?

Next, the auto climate control is pissing me off. I want to keep the air conditioning off as much as possible to improve my fuel economy but even when I shut it off, it still keeps pumping hot air out of the floor vents. Do I have to press that recirculate button to stop this?

Lastly, any suggestions on a first mod? I was thinking of dropping it a couple of inches. Or maybe a low cost engine mod? Feel free to give me ideas!!

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Old 03-22-2001, 05:15 PM

Well, you should just get some coilovers(suspension). You can adjust the way you want. And get front and rear strut tower braces with a rear stabilizer bar. Your car will handle awsome. And it sounds like you worry about your fuel milage, so you had better not do any performance to the motor. As for the bose goes, Its a lot better to just replace the system in the car. The bose sounds ok but a new system will sound better..
Old 03-22-2001, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Canada97se
Hey Guys,
First off, the BOSE system just isn't cutting it anymore. I would like to upgrade just a little and keep the head unit the same. I looked into a couple of subs for the truck but I don't want to block the truck pass through. I would love some ideas on a nice crisp system. No overkill just juice it up a little.
Can't help here, I have the Bose and I am happy with it. Do a search, FWIR, it's kind of tricky upgrade and still keep the Bose head unit.

Next, is anyone else's Maxima hard to start when it's warm? My car fires up fine when it's been sitting for over 3 hours or so, or when it's been shut off within a half hour or so. But between a half hour and 3 hours, it takes about 10 seconds of turning over before it starts. I was reading the manual and it says to press the gas to the floor to start it when it's warm. What's that about?!?
Can't help here, sorry.

Next, the auto climate control is pissing me off. I want to keep the air conditioning off as much as possible to improve my fuel economy but even when I shut it off, it still keeps pumping hot air out of the floor vents. Do I have to press that recirculate button to stop this?
Yes, just press the button. Unfortunately, you will have to press the button every time you start the car. PITA!

Lastly, any suggestions on a first mod? I was thinking of dropping it a couple of inches. Or maybe a low cost engine mod? Feel free to give me ideas!!
Unless you really want to slam it, stay away from the coilovers; they are quirky, hard to set up and expensive. For less than half the price, you can get a good set of struts and springs that will drop you 1-1/2" to 2". I've been very happy with my Tokico/Eibach set-up. There are several other choices that are just as good.

The front strut tower brace (FSTB) is a pretty good mod but from what I've read, the rear is a waste of money. The rear sway bar (RSB), IMHO, is the best handling "bang for the buck" mod you can do.

For engine mods, it's almost unanimous around here that the first one to buy is The Place Racing's Cold Air Intake (CAI). Be prepared for a LOUD growl at wide-open-throttle.

Be careful around here man, this ****t is addicting!

(Welcome)!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2001, 05:49 PM

Here are a couple of FAQ's you should read. They will help you along the moding path.

http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/
https://maxima.org/maxfaqs/index.shtml
http://grprete.jnet.net/
http://www.maximadriver.com/

That should give you lots of reading to start out with.
Old 03-22-2001, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Canada97se
Hey Guys,

press the eco mode it will cut A/C