General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

More "Off-the-Line" Pick Up for Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 08:26 AM

More "Off-the-Line" Pick Up for Automatic

Alright, this has been my first automatic transmission and definately my last. (I miss DRIVING a car) Until my next manual I must live with this tranny and I was hoping someone might have some information on how to make an automatic more responsive off the line. When I floor it at a green light it just seems to slowly accelerate, then at/or around 3000 rpm its almost like a turbo kicking in, I get the full power. Is there a fix to this or just a downside to having an auto?
Old 04-25-2004, 08:31 AM

Torque Converter
VB Mod
Better tires

Dont know much about that stuff, I just drive
Old 04-25-2004, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
Torque Converter
VB Mod
Better tires

Dont know much about that stuff, I just drive
Torque Converter...hmmmmmm... what would an aftermarket torque converter do better than an OEM one? Any tips of where to find one for a '00 SE?(I'll check FAQ's).
Tires aren't the problem, I'm not loosing any grip and from my understanding the VB mod just speeds up the shifts.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stupid comment, but do you have it in O/D? Shutting O/D off will help the off-the-line acceleration too...
Old 04-25-2004, 09:56 AM
Kevlo for President

No it won't. ^ OD doesn't matter.

Check to see if your KS is dead.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Kevlo for President

BTW 00-01 are slow off the line. I can about a 1 car lead on a 00-01 off teh line. All I have is intake and that takes away low end power. gtr_rider has about the only stuff you can do.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:00 AM
Ford Only.

If you want to go fast in an auto.

Torque Converter First.
Valve Body Second.
Tranny Cooler Third.

That should give you plenty on the street, you can be faster if you dont mind rockin 14" wheels.

You will still get crushed on the highway though
Old 04-25-2004, 10:13 AM

Anyone know who makes an better than OEM torque converter?
As for the valve body, do you mean boring it out? I'm not going to be doing major mods to this car, thats what my compact car is for on weekends, just lookin for a little more get up for daily driver.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by LilMaxo
Anyone know who makes an better than OEM torque converter?
As for the valve body, do you mean boring it out? I'm not going to be doing major mods to this car, thats what my compact car is for on weekends, just lookin for a little more get up for daily driver.
www.edgeracingconverters.com

they will make you a custom converter for less than $500 and are located in SoCal. I can get you the install done for under $300 in SoCal also.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:38 AM

So $800 for something that will make how much difference now????
Old 04-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Ford Only.

So $800 for something that will make how much difference now????
It will put a smile on your face when all the multiplied tq hits the wheels when you push the gas. It will shave around 3 tenths in your 1/4 time and keep your top end the same. I have talked to Aaron92SE (VERY fast n/a auto) and he said if he were to mod his car from stock again, the TC would be first.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:23 PM

If you start adding aftermarket TC's, don't you have to worry about changing out your axles?
Old 04-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by ben99sel
If you start adding aftermarket TC's, don't you have to worry about changing out your axles?
nope, our axles can take ALOT. Look at Hal over 500hp and no problems with them.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Kevlo for President

How much more power at hte wheels would we have with a new TC? What would be hte perfect stall speed?
Old 04-25-2004, 01:28 PM
Still kickin'

I was actually really curious about the stall speed of the stock one...to me it seems to be about 1500 or so (Someone correct me cause i know i'm probably wrong). i think that something in the low to mid 2000 range would be rather nice....but then again i've never even thought/researched about getting a different TC. A buddy of mine from school has an auto Supra TT (he basically stole it for $7,900 in pristine condition, from an old guy....i wish i was that lucky), and i rode with him one time, and he had no off-the-line punch at all. Honestly i would actually pull on him off the line...for a second or two... then he got a 2500rpm stall TC put in, and that thing pulled pretty freakin hard on me off the line after that.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by kevlo911
How much more power at hte wheels would we have with a new TC? What would be hte perfect stall speed?
I dont think it will give you HP, but put you in a higher rpm which is more power. Instead of winding up from 1500rpm you are starting from 3k instantly.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:54 PM

OK GUYS... Sounds like what I want is gonna cost me a grip for a car I'm not even racing. I just thought that there was a less expensive way and never owning an automatic before, I had no clue they were so costly(for what they do).
Old 04-25-2004, 02:17 PM

Stock stall speed is 2,000rpms. A high-still TC (somewhere around the neighborhood of 2,500rpms) would help your launch. VQ30DE-K's aren't "on the cam" (or the Turbo rush as you describe it)until 2,800rpms. Thats the rush that you feel .

Stuff that will help low-rpm acceleration:
Y-pipe
B-pipe
High-stall TC
S/C
Nitrous
Lower overall diameter tires (shorter final drive)
Advance timing

VB mod will not help low speed (below 3,000rpm) acceleration at WOT. The Axle's can stand quite a bit of TQ reliable.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:23 PM

Alright, this has been my first automatic transmission and definately my last. (I miss DRIVING a car) Until my next manual I must live with this tranny and I was hoping someone might have some information on how to make an automatic more responsive off the line. When I floor it at a green light it just seems to slowly accelerate, then at/or around 3000 rpm its almost like a turbo kicking in, I get the full power. Is there a fix to this or just a downside to having an auto?
open up the airflow, then do your exhaust sytem and y-pipe and that should be a start. but you need to spend some money cause it aint easy trust me. i have a auto and it took me some time but its faster than a ****. i just came from a meet today at the garden state plaza and i took some guys for a ride. not only did i lay double tire tracks but i skipped away with a auto. i am a five speed fanatic but since i have a auto i had to make the best of it, and i did.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by dmontzmax
nope, our axles can take ALOT. Look at Hal over 500hp and no problems with them.
That's good to hear.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:18 AM

**** i wish that was true. i blow a axle every month. they cant handle the torque. i now have raxles a heavy duty axle. i also installed the limited slip to help.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:41 AM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by C MAX
**** i wish that was true. i blow a axle every month. they cant handle the torque. i now have raxles a heavy duty axle. i also installed the limited slip to help.
What in the world are you doing?

I know of 5+ 300+whp Maximas that have not broken one.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:10 AM
wat

Wtf, an axle per month?! What the hell are you doing? Offroading? You need to change your driving style if your blowing an axle a month.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:55 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by 87MustangGT
Stupid comment, but do you have it in O/D? Shutting O/D off will help the off-the-line acceleration too...
You were right, it was a stupid comment. How would enabling 4th gear help with his off the line acceleration?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by BlueC
Wtf, an axle per month?! What the hell are you doing? Offroading? You need to change your driving style if your blowing an axle a month.
why? i do what i do. im running 11lbs of boost with 100 shot nitrous and busted the stock axle twice in two months. yeh i was showing off and did a block or so burnout with a auto. doubt it? ask any of the org members at the meets i went to if you doubt. so lower your blood pressure before yopu die of a heart attack. since then i now have raxles
and so far so good.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:40 AM

What in the world are you doing?

I know of 5+ 300+whp Maximas that have not broken one.
have you ever met me, i think not cause if you did you would understand. how many maximas do you know pushing 11lbs and 100 shot. you add up the hp.

i always get non-believers until they see and ride in my car. thats why i make it my business to attend these meets. i have invested mucho dollars into the max and some of the stock parts just cant hang, and the axles was one of them. my set up is still in tuning stages so im gonna break something, better a axle than a motor.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:22 AM

have you ever met me, i think not cause if you did you would understand. how many maximas do you know pushing 11lbs and 100 shot. you add up the hp.

i always get non-believers until they see and ride in my car. thats why i make it my business to attend these meets. i have invested mucho dollars into the max and some of the stock parts just cant hang, and the axles was one of them. my set up is still in tuning stages so im gonna break something, better a axle than a motor.
Dmontz was just asking what is causing your axles to blow like that. Plenty of cars are running more HP and TQ than you constantly (SC / Turbo) and don't go through them that quick. It's just unusual.

Maybe it is because the stock auto is to weak for that much power but that should be part of your list of upgrades if you are going to run a lot of power. Redmax got a new bulletproof auto tranny for his turbo setup.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Ford Only.

And? I dont care what you have spent man, I was just asking what you are doing wrong. Obviously something to be breaking axles like that. Do you think you are laying down more than Hal? I dont...
Old 04-26-2004, 10:56 AM

And? I dont care what you have spent man, I was just asking what you are doing wrong. Obviously something to be breaking axles like that. Do you think you are laying down more than Hal? I dont...
i'll keep this nice cause your to far away for me to own. obviously you know nothing about me or my car so lets just end it there.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by deezo
Dmontz was just asking what is causing your axles to blow like that. Plenty of cars are running more HP and TQ than you constantly (SC / Turbo) and don't go through them that quick. It's just unusual.

Maybe it is because the stock auto is to weak for that much power but that should be part of your list of upgrades if you are going to run a lot of power. Redmax got a new bulletproof auto tranny for his turbo setup.
i have a bullet proof level ten tranny, stage 3 vb from maximumtuning
a b&m tranny cooler and now raxle axles. i wish i knew the answer to why i broke them but hopefully its sovled. and how do you know what hp and torque i have when i dont even know. ask the guys at the meet
im no lightweight i play for big stakes and with big boys. and once i get dyno'd i will post once and for all. i hope that will do it.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:08 PM

and how do you know what hp and torque i have when i dont even know. .
How do I know? I didn't say I knew how much HP you had and I could care less if you are a lightweight, middleweight, heavyweight or dead weight. We were interested in knowing how you are breaking axles and that's all. What's with the defensive attitude?

I've been to many NYC/NJ meets and I know who the players are.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Ford Only.

How do I know? I didn't say I knew how much HP you had and I could care less if you are a lightweight, middleweight, heavyweight or dead weight. We were interested in knowing how you are breaking axles and that's all. What's with the defensive attitude?

I've been to many NYC/NJ meets and I know who the players are.
I think we should start differently with him.

Like this:

OMG DUDE!!! you have the BEST Maxima EVER! Your car is so crazy fast that it snaps axles like they are the size of toothpicks, are you sure your chassis is not bent? you must be running 300 series tires on that big boy eh? someday I wish to play with the big boys for high stakes, havent I seen you compete in the NHRA circuit before?
Old 04-26-2004, 12:33 PM

I think we should start differently with him.

Like this:

OMG DUDE!!! you have the BEST Maxima EVER! Your car is so crazy fast that it snaps axles like they are the size of toothpicks, are you sure your chassis is not bent? you must be running 300 series tires on that big boy eh? someday I wish to play with the big boys for high stakes, havent I seen you compete in the NHRA circuit before?
WERD!!!!!!!

I don't know why people come here doing this shyte, wanting to be the biggest and the baddest, the fastest and the furious.....

[Peter Griffin]He said, "High Stakes."......hehehehehehe!!!!![/Peter Griffin]
Old 04-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Ford Only.

WERD!!!!!!!

I don't know why people come here doing this shyte, wanting to be the biggest and the baddest, the fastest and the furious.....

[Peter Griffin]He said, "High Stakes."......hehehehehehe!!!!![/Peter Griffin]
haha, I dont know which is funniest "High Stakes" or "Big Boys". I did not know there was such hardcore Maxima racers out there.

deezo, you sure you dont have Vin Diesel from Fast and the Furious on the east coast?

What gets me is, all this work to a car and no cardomain site? I guess you dont want the police to track you and put you in jail with the real "big boys".

Old 04-26-2004, 01:04 PM

What gets me is, all this work to a car and no cardomain site?
Ballers and shot callers don't need no stinkin' cardomain site.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:06 PM

haha, I dont know which is funniest "High Stakes" or "Big Boys". I did not know there was such hardcore Maxima racers out there.

deezo, you sure you dont have Vin Diesel from Fast and the Furious on the east coast?

What gets me is, all this work to a car and no cardomain site? I guess you dont want the police to track you and put you in jail with the real "big boys".

you two crack me up, nothing like a good laugh to make my day.
anyway i dont hate so if you want to make your life miserable go right ahead. i came on this thread to talk about my axles and you two haters turned this into bullsh!t. so deezo go back to your weightlifting and dmontzmax finish putting on your sunblock cause i got better things to do.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Ford Only.

anyway i dont hate so if you want to make your life miserable go right ahead. i came on this thread to talk about my axles and you two haters turned this into bullsh!t. so deezo go back to your weightlifting and dmontzmax finish putting on your sunblock cause i got better things to do.
heh, its too hot for sunblock. and when I say "hot" I dont mean it by the police being out (I know how you big boys think). It must be getting close to night there eh? cause I know when you say "better things to do", you mean go kill diablos for high stakes?
Old 04-26-2004, 01:11 PM

Lighten up and stop taking things so personal.

I just don't understand why you have too add what we don't care about.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Ford Only.

Ballers and shot callers don't need no stinkin' cardomain site.
ha, true...I am sure the F&F crew did not have one.

I noticed some of his mods were "Metal Matrix Pads All around" that is big tymer ish.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:21 PM

ha, true...I am sure the F&F crew did not have one.

I noticed some of his mods were "Metal Matrix Pads All around" that is big tymer ish.
Yeah, I had those. Those pads made me into the man I am today in which I thank Jesus Christ, my Lord and savior......oops!!!!! I thought I was accepting an MTV Award.

Quick Reply: More "Off-the-Line" Pick Up for Automatic