General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is our favorite Max going to be a dinosaur?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 11:52 AM
is invisible

4DSC = 4-door sportscar, not FWD sportscar.

I'm sure people know it's just a marketing ploy -there are no valid credentials behind that sticker- the sticker is more of novelty these days.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:20 AM
Banned

The Max is out of it's element. Time to call it something else and pass the Maxima name down to the new Altima. Take a really good look at the new Alty. Kinda reminds u of a 5th gen, doesn't it?
Old 05-06-2004, 08:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by CoolMax
4DSC = 4-door sportscar, not FWD sportscar.

I'm sure people know it's just a marketing ploy -there are no valid credentials behind that sticker- the sticker is more of novelty these days.
How can you say that after arguing over it?

The 4DSC label was born with and died with the 3rd gen. The 4th gen and 5th share essentially the same platform,

Like previously stated, they compensated the weight issue with more power. Also, being a 4DSC isn't so much dependent on the weight of the car; it has more to do with its handling characteristics, and since the rear suspension was improved and the SE got bigger rims in the 5th gen, I'm willing to bet that the 5th gen handles better too.
I'm standing by what I said: once the Maxima lost the IRS in '95, it also relinquished to the 4DSC title.
If the 5th gen isn't a "4DSC" then the 4th gen isn't either.
Just to clarify, I know what 4DSC means and saying a FWD car can be a sports car is still hard for me to accept with the one previously stated exception.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:36 PM
vqman

I would like to see the next Gen Maxima as a rebadged M35 with a V8 (M45) option.

AWD must be an option.

Keep the Altima where it is, make the Maxima even bigger.

The Sentra is bigger, the Altima is bigger, why not make the Maxima bigger and bring in a new small economy car below the Sentra (Pulsar?)

-vq

Old 05-06-2004, 09:38 PM
vqman

Originally Posted by FNG
The Max is out of it's element. Time to call it something else and pass the Maxima name down to the new Altima. Take a really good look at the new Alty. Kinda reminds u of a 5th gen, doesn't it?

It's to late for that, Nissan won't pass the Maxima name down to the Altima, it would only confuse "non-enthusiast" buyers.

BTW: Most buyers are "non-enthusiasts".

-vq

Old 05-07-2004, 03:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hehe, some of you guys think that someone from upper management at nissan would sit there and read thorugh our forum to see what they should do with the next generation maxima

i thought that the 350Z was supposed to be nissan's new flagship 'immage' vehicle anyhow, just like the corvette is for chevrolet. you guys sure talk a lot about the G35 yet no-one has brought up the 350Z, i'd much rather take one of those than a G35...

and for those who say that the max is drifting towards the toyota avalon as far as market segement you are 100% correct, its alredy there with the 6th gen

as far as i am concerned my dream for the 7th gen would be a slightly revised M45 with the option of either a V6 (vq35 of course) or the V8

and another thing about marketing for nissan that i fail to understand: everyone considers the Skyline to be the 'ultimate dreamcar' from nissan... so why in the hell didn't they sell the g35c as the new nissan skyline here just like they do in japan...?
Old 05-07-2004, 05:44 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Well, what I want is the VQ engine, longitudinally mounted and in a rwd or awd platform. Sounds like a G35 to me. If the Maxima dies, so be it. What I think Nissan should do is market the G35 with the Maxima name, but that would undercut Infiniti sales, so it's never going to happen.

The Maxima/I30-I35 combo has always done well for Nissan/Infiniti. Why wouldn't a Nissan Maxima based on the G35 and the Infiniti G35 work as a tag team tandem? I don't see why it wouldn't...
Old 05-07-2004, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
The Maxima/I30-I35 combo has always done well for Nissan/Infiniti. Why wouldn't a Nissan Maxima based on the G35 and the Infiniti G35 work as a tag team tandem? I don't see why it wouldn't...
Maybe it would, I hope so. You also have the 350Z/G35C combo as well, which seems to be working out.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:03 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Midknight MAXX
How can you say that after arguing over it?

Just to clarify, I know what 4DSC means and saying a FWD car can be a sports car is still hard for me to accept with the one previously stated exception.
The argument is for which generation Maxima is most like a 4DSC.

I agree the first ingredient to building a sport car is NOT FWD.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:36 AM

Exactly but the reason I bought a maxima is becaused I wanted one of the sportiest fwd cars i could find. Its a quick sedan that still goes in the snow... I need that up here in crap new york.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by skiboarder72
Exactly but the reason I bought a maxima is becaused I wanted one of the sportiest fwd cars i could find. Its a quick sedan that still goes in the snow... I need that up here in crap new york.
I agree. A fwd Max is what I need when winter comes. For those who want rwd, the G35 should fit your bill. AWD is fine, but the extra weight might impede performance, and the added complexity would cost you when it comes time for repairs. For everyday driving, the fwd setup is more than enough to handle most circumstances. The rwd would only come into play when you are going through the twisty mountain roads with little traffic; but how often do you get to do that

Anyone on this thread own a 6th gen that comes standard with IRS? Does it handle better than the 4th and 5th gens? I had a 3rd gen and its suspension was quite good, although it could have used more horsepower.

Does anyone know or think that Nissan will mod the 6th gen so that it could once again be well received by us Max fans? What kind of mods do you think will help? Without the mods, the Max might slowly witness its own demise.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by kenny
Anyone on this thread own a 6th gen that comes standard with IRS? Does it handle better than the 4th and 5th gens? I had a 3rd gen and its suspension was quite good, although it could have used more horsepower.
More horse power? The VE is rated at the same ammount as the 4th gen, and pulls hard to redline, it doesn't die off like a VQ30DE does.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:01 PM
vqman

Originally Posted by billy_corgan
the maxima died after 1999. 4DSC was no more.

huh?

maybe it died for 2000 and 2001, but 2k2 and 2k3 they were pretty sporty (255 bhp).

And I think the 3rd Gen had you beat as a sports car...the IRS makes a huge difference in corners...at least the 6th gen gets back to that.

-vq

Old 05-11-2004, 11:03 PM
vqman

I think we all agree a FWD car is not a sports car

i'd say the 3rd Gen was most like a 4DSC.

light weight, IRS, 190bhp 5 speed....

I'd take one with low miles in mint condition any day...

-vq

Old 05-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Former Sponsor

G35 platform smaller, RWD ehehe Cefiro RWD once again!!!

new A35 Maxima should be a smaller like G35 size sporty entry level luxury car cleaner than the G Sedan, but packing the VQ punch with a clean exterior and a simple/high quality interior without as many doodads like the G35

Base Price 26,995
SE- 28,995

*drool*
Old 05-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrGone
More horse power? The VE is rated at the same ammount as the 4th gen, and pulls hard to redline, it doesn't die off like a VQ30DE does.
we have more torque VQ powah!! (and no tapping VTCs)
Old 05-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by carnal_c30
we have more torque VQ powah!! (and no tapping VTCs)

True, but the VE comes on like a freight train on the top end and will pull a VQ. Trust me, I know!
Old 05-12-2004, 06:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FNG
True, but the VE comes on like a freight train on the top end and will pull a VQ. Trust me, I know!
I know VQ runs out of breath... thats why I have VI

VE is a badazz motor... cant believe Don's (dmontzmax) went like 270k miles of his abuse before it farted out

my VQ is at 70k