General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Starting new engine problems....Tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Starting new engine problems....Tranny???

hi everyone, well heres my situation. I have 97 max GLE, automatic. I bout a lower mileage engine and did the swap, the last few weeks. As I first attempted to start it the starting noise would kind of fluctuate, but it wouldn't turn over. Another thing that I noticed was that when I had the ignition in the on position I would hear a buzzing sound coming from the tranny towards the linkage area. Like the valve body i guess. If anyone has any information on this please help me. Either reply to this or IM me on aim would help a lot thanks.

Chris
Old 05-08-2004, 03:53 PM

also i had a code thrown at me 0803 - absolute pressure sensor. if that means anything... and me and a friend discussed this issue and the only things that we though of was the battery, and the fuel filter being clogged. Just to let you guys know it's been sitting for like 4 months.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Banned

ok. not to be a jerk but if you dropped an engine in and you have questions like maybe it's the battery or maybe it's the fuel filter you shouldn't be dropping engines in cars....

if you think it is the battery just check the damn battery. takes 5 seconds with a multimeter.

if you think your fuel filter is clogged take it out and check it. takes about 5 minutes. it's easy as **** to do.

your tranmission should in no way i know of effect the car's engine turning over, unless it isn't engaged in park because whoever dropped to engine screwed up when they mounted it to the tranny.

also all GLE's are autotragiks unless you do a 5speed swap.

unless your engine had a ton of miles on it dropping a lower milage engine in is rather worthless imo. seeing as how the fastest all motor maxima has over 140k miles on it. i'd rather have spent the cash and time rebuilding the engine and doing a little porting and polishing while i was in there....instead of buying a used engine which you have no idea of the condition which has been sitting around for months doing nothing. and if the new engine was sitting for only 4 months it must have at least 50k+ miles on it.....

bring your car to a mechanic or a dealership to fix the problem's that were created.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:36 AM

i've always tried to learn new things and pursue new projects. Yeah, maybe there are many things I don't know and things I do I need assistance. But I try no matter if I mess up anything or I run in to problems I don't know where to start at. That's what i'm doing right now, learning things that I like to do.

And the main reason I post was if anyone knew why it would make that noise with the ignition on and what peoples opinions are for what maybe the problem, so I can narrow it down.

Chris
Old 05-09-2004, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by NISMOPower
hi everyone, well heres my situation. I have 97 max GLE, automatic. I bout a lower mileage engine and did the swap, the last few weeks. As I first attempted to start it the starting noise would kind of fluctuate, but it wouldn't turn over. Another thing that I noticed was that when I had the ignition in the on position I would hear a buzzing sound coming from the tranny towards the linkage area. Like the valve body i guess. If anyone has any information on this please help me. Either reply to this or IM me on aim would help a lot thanks.

Chris
Sometimes a starter will make a buzzing noise and won't turn the engine if the battery voltage is low or if the battery can't supply enough current for the starter. Either get a new battery or borrow someone's and try again.

Can you turn the engine over manually with a wrench on the crankshaft (ignition off)? If you can't turn it at least one complete revolution, then something is wrong with the engine.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:40 PM

i'm sure the sound is coming from the oil pan toward the front of the tranny pan. Also I tried to turn the crankshaft and it won't turn. I know that the crankshaft has turned before more than once, but that was before i put the tranny in.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:29 PM

another issue that may be possible is something wrong with the transmission linkage. Anyone know what I should check? something bent? or how...

Chris
Old 05-10-2004, 04:13 PM

anyone???

Chris
Old 05-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Banned

Can you turn the engine over manually with a wrench on the crankshaft (ignition off)? If you can't turn it at least one complete revolution, then something is wrong with the engine.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-11-2004, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by NISMOPower
i'm sure the sound is coming from the oil pan toward the front of the tranny pan. Also I tried to turn the crankshaft and it won't turn. I know that the crankshaft has turned before more than once, but that was before i put the tranny in.
So you were able to turn the engine without the tranny installed? I don't see how an automatic tranny could keep the engine from turning over, unless maybe there was a problem with the torque converter.

Better pull the transmission and see if the engine will turn over. If it does, the problem is with the tranny or torque converter, if it doesn't, then the problem is in the engine. Sorry, I can't think of an easier way to diagnose your problem.