General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Just how well built is the VQ35?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 10:49 AM

Just how well built is the VQ35?

Read up on this, and find out. Chances are, you'll be pleasantly surprised, like I was.

This was taken from a discussion at My350Z.com. It's a long read, but you'll like it if you're an geek like me.

Hopefully this hasn't been posted before. If it's a repost, it can be deleted.

I visited AEBS today to see the pro spec series stroker kit (VQ35DE)

I had to see this in person, I talked to the head mechanic Paulus who actually I remember from back in 92 who was a honda guru.

1. The total cost of the kit is 7,800.00

2. Comes with 9325 custom billet steel crank. used in NHRA
a. the crank was very high qulity(see pic) overall stoke is
90mm(stock is 81mm)
b. according to paulus this bad boy should have no problem
with stock rpm revs in fact with rev limited removed the
engine can safely rev to 9k+ with tuning.
Even though it is
a 6cylinder his reason is that the prelude and s2000 stroke
are 91 and 90 mm so that shouldnt be a problem.
3. The rods are x beam with internal oil inlet from the crank up
the beam through the wrist pin to squirt into the bottom piston these rods are made by Pauter
4. The pistons are FORGED,you can expect up to 26 lbs of boost for the 8:5:1 compression. no dyno result yet......(wrist pins&rings included)
5. As for the t sleeves thats where Im really impressed with the quality, although they did not have a VQ block there they did have the sleeves very heavy duty, they did have a nsx block with the t sleeves in it. As for blueprint and machine work he expect about 15 hrs labor at 65.00$ an hour. Me and paulus used to use Ed Hale in lakeside ca, he is know for his excellent machine work on race engines. Unfortunately its race season here and 6 cylinders and 4 cylinders are paper weights until the small block chevys are done. Paulus said the VQ block is are stronger then the supra turbo blocks although they are full floating cylinders
But im sure any good reputable machine shop can do this. I thinking to see what Benson Machine shop charges in the Los Angeles CA area?
My final Verdict is this...........Hi quaility, no doubt. Personally I would love to see someone(with money) do a NA build up with the higher compression 11 or 11.5:1 at a price tag or close to 8k without machine work you would be looking at over 10k+ by the time its ready to turn key. I would like to see HP and Torque numbers in the future, Since im married with kids, I will have to pass and maybe settle for the sc or tt and 6-8 psi.
For those with deep pockets, I wouldnt hesitate , the car is still new and im sure we will see many many avenues of horse power, but if you want somthing different ,,,,,,4.3L VQ sounds NICE!

Responses to many of your questions are answered here.

The formula for piston speed ( feet per minute ) is:

stroke (millimeters) x rpm (engine speed) / 153

The formula for kinetic energy is 0.5 x M x V^2, where M is the mass of the piston and connecting rods assembly, and V is the speed of the piston and Connecting rod assembly.

I will list the general guide for piston speeds. It is general because there are factors in involved with regard to the weight of the pistons and connecting rods ( kinetic energy ).

With forged (standard steel ) it is recommended that you do not exceed 4400 feet per minute for endurance road racing, and 6000 feet per minute for drag racing.
Now you need to examine the construction of the forged crankshafts. How much overlap is there between the bearing journals, how thick is the material between the journals, how much counterweights are used for properly dampening the destructive harmonic frequencies, what is the diameter of the bearing journals ( the larger the more oil cushion it creates, thus preventing metal to metal contact ). For instance, the Honda NSX has only 0.140 inches of material between the first two connecting rod bearing journals, and at high horsepower above 1000 it breaks at this junction. Two of current high profile drag racers in the import scene have been battling this problem. The v-6 Toyotas and GM's have this problem too. The Nissan VQ35 does not have this problem at this junction because it is 0.710 inches thick between the first two connection rod journals.
The piston speed ultimately depend on the kinetic energy of the moving assembly. Yes, lighter is better like using Titanium connecting rods. The piston is 101.5 mm (3.996 inches) for the naturally aspirated application. For turbo it is 100 mm. The NA piston is extremely light for reasons mentioned above with many secret features built in. I don't know how many of you follow nascar, but for many years they have been running 3.5 inches ( 88.9 millimeters ) stroke with pistons well above 4.00 inches in diameter. Their engines speeds were all in the 9000 rpm range. The rpm limiting factors on these engines were more due to the flexing of the rocker arms push rods. Yes these engines did have billet crankshaft. In the same way, the AEBS crankshaft is made from 9325 billet steel, the same material used in today's 6000 plus horsepower topfuel, and funny drag racing engines. The conventional (still very strong ) steel is 4340 cromoly steel.
With regard to the rod ratio's, these have both their pro's and con's. A long rod ratio creates a longer piston dwelling at TDC, which benefits Naturally aspirated drag racing engines for high rpm horsepower but sometimes at the expense of low to mid range horsepower. It could be detrimental for Forced Induction, since a longer dwell time creates extremely high chances of Detonation at TDC due to overprolonged pressures, this was discovered by the Funny Car and Top Fuel racing engines 20 years ago ( as you see, technology is often nothing new because we are often reinventing the wheel).
Many IRL's have reduced their rod ratio's becaused they suffered from mid range torque coming out of the corners.
A shorter rod ratio has a longer piston dwell at BDC.
The Nissan VQ35 block is constructed from a high pressure die casting procedure and it consists from high density Aluminum using 4 bolt mains with a longitudinal girdle to support the main caps. With the AEBS sleeves, you can push over 1500 horsepower easily. These sleeve designs are exclusive to AEBS since they own the U.S. Patten rights. Imagine this, AEBS has pushed 1200 horsepower on 4 cylinder 2.2 liter prelude motors with similar designed blocks and sleeves. On top on that , the Honda Prelude block do not even have 4 bolt mains.
The Toyota 2JZ crankshaft is an inline 6 style and whenever number 1 cylinder fires, the crankshaft undergoes serious flexing when this power is transferred to the flywheel. That's why you will never see an inline 8 Topfuel or Funny Car racing engine, just horrible flexing with detrimental harmonic vibrations.
Furthermore, just with Top fuel racing engines, the blocks are made from Aluminum to absorp harmonic vibrations thus reducing cracking, the Toyota 2jz is made from cast iron.
If any of you are really serious about high performance, you should consider running bigger oversize intake and exhaust valves for higher flow, porting the cylinder heads, replacing the valve guides and seats with nickel aluminum bronze machined ones that dissipate the heat faster and reduces the friction.
Also, use aftermarket camshafts that use Genuine Nissan motor corporation camcores such As Tomei. All these parts an processes are available through AEBS. Many aftermarket camshafts that use Chilled cast cores are known for breaking and cracking.
In conclusion, If you are not really interested in engine performance, knowing the how and whats, just ignore this whole message. It was not intended to bore you, just to add some common basic elementary engine information to you wizzards on this forum , it was probably information that you already knew a long time ago.

Nisseng
Old 05-15-2004, 11:26 AM
THX
Hallelujah

most of it has been known, minus the first quote, thanks. Can u post the link?
Old 05-15-2004, 11:32 AM

Here's where I ran across this info...

And here's the link from My350Z.com.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:08 PM
VQ Wizard

I wish AEBS would do something about this errored information being spread everywhere.

The stock stroke is NOT 81mm. It's 81.4mm.

They advertise the bores of their product to be 100mm for boost and 101.5mm for NA. The latter is wrong. A 101.5mm bore and a 90mm stroke would equal 4369cc or 4.4 liters. They advertise their maximum displacement to be 4.3 liters. A 100.5mm bore would equal 4284cc and makes more sense. You wouldn't really need more than a 1.0 or a 0.5 mm bore difference between the two.

Mentioning crankshaft flexing, top fuel engines have their cams ground to account for this. At full power a top fuel crankshaft will flex as much as 20º. Most engines going to 1000hp certainly wouldn't suffer as much as the ones that produce 6000hp.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
I wish AEBS would do something about this errored information being spread everywhere.
Shoot, I'm just helping spread it, aren't I?
Old 05-15-2004, 05:33 PM
VQ Wizard

LOL! Yes. But that wasn't personally directed at you.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I poke around on my350z occasionally and saw that too. It is a good read for us geeks.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:54 AM

what kind of times would you be making at 1500 hp? provided you could get wheels wide and tires good enough to get that onto the ground?
Old 05-17-2004, 02:02 PM

Depends on what kind of car you're running. Take Bullish Racing's twin Solaras, for example. They're modeled after Pro Stock cars, and the last I heard, make about 1,400hp from their 2JZGTEs(MKIV Supra motor). They run in the high 6s in the 1/4 mile at well over 190mph, if not 200mph.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Hooooooonda.....

This was posted a few weeks ago with pics and everything.