General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Now They Want to Take The CAR!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 10:57 AM

Now They Want to Take The CAR!!!!

Fender Bender 2 weeks ago. Not my fault, so other Insurance said they'd pay for damages. Almost 80% complete, but damage underneath body required additional suppment on price to fix, and now they want to have an appraiser look a the car before they body shop continues. Appraiser comes back, "Total Loss" WHAT THE FLY MOTHER F0K?!!!

Now insurance is offering me 5,201 for total value OR 3,500, if I decide to keep the car. If I keep the car, I'll still be out of pocked about $300.

Man Im not sure why I even posted, as far as Im concerned, due to some idiot not looking when they backed out of a parking space, Im not only, out of of money, but Im also out of a car. This seriously cannot be happening.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm needing a caw

You do know that the insurance company's offer is just that. An offer. Usually some lowball BS number given to see if the policy holder is a sucker. Saves them millions every year. Go out and get proof that your car is selling for MUCH higher than that.
Do your homework. A few hours = a few thousand in $. Not bad right?
http://www.claimcoach.com/index.htm?...tm~bottomright
http://www.insurance.wa.gov/oic/contact.asp
http://www.stephencryanpc.com/about.html
http://www.consumersautodetective.co...settlement.htm
Old 05-18-2004, 11:26 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

good info Jeff!
Old 05-18-2004, 11:29 AM

Yeah, bring in some ads from used cars at a Nissan Dealer-they will have the cars for $7-9K at least...
If the ins company stalls, get a lawyer!!!!
Old 05-18-2004, 12:04 PM

Jeff92se……much thanks. I just got this "total Loss" information in literally the last hour, so my brains been on overload. This information you've supplied has brought back to my senses, although I must say…..with the mileage I have currently, the company's offer may unfortunately be accurate if not too far off. My major concern is

1. Unless by some grace of fate, there estimate is off by about 3k, nothing they offer would equal what I still own on the car.

2. If I do keep the ride (which ultimately I think I may), it is really going eat at principle wise. I mean, I WASN'T AT FAULT, so how in the world is it possible I can still be left hold'n the stick when all is said and done. My personal value of "fairness" really makes this whole thing rub me the wrong way, even if I only came out of pocket 2 bucks, I'd think its WRONG.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury to fight this one out. And that will be the deciding factor here. These slimeballs may just have to get there way, so that I can get to work and school which started today. Man I can't believe this….
Old 05-18-2004, 12:11 PM

Those are interesting links!

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You do know that the insurance company's offer is just that. An offer. Usually some lowball BS number given to see if the policy holder is a sucker. Saves them millions every year. Go out and get proof that your car is selling for MUCH higher than that.
Do your homework. A few hours = a few thousand in $. Not bad right?
http://www.claimcoach.com/index.htm?...tm~bottomright
http://www.insurance.wa.gov/oic/contact.asp
http://www.stephencryanpc.com/about.html
http://www.consumersautodetective.co...settlement.htm
Old 05-18-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm needing a caw

That's another reason for the insurance companies to drag their heels. They figure you need everything resolved fast so they lowball you right away and drag their heels on your counter offer. I do believe you are entitled to a rental on their dime for x amount of time. ie.. 30 days or something. Call them and ask.

I used their rental for about 2 months while they dragged their heels on my total. But the difference in $ was thousands of dollars.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:14 PM

Also contact your insurance company and ask them what they think you should do/what are they doing for you. You may think about getting an independent appraiser if they are low balling you!
Old 05-18-2004, 12:17 PM

Get an attorney!!! Dont fall for the insurance company scam. At least drop by an injury attorney's office and get a free consultation. Most of those guys dont take their payment untill the claim is settled. You could end up with more money than you started with plus a new car. Im not saying jump on the bandwagon and sue everyone, just get some backup, insurance companies are good at swindling average people.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

How do you know he would be netting more w/ an attorney vs doing his own homework? ie.. let's say he gets $1,000 more. Doesn't do any good if the attorney fee is $1,500.

Originally Posted by swapmeetlouie
Get an attorney!!! Dont fall for the insurance company scam. At least drop by an injury attorney's office and get a free consultation. Most of those guys dont take their payment untill the claim is settled. You could end up with more money than you started with plus a new car. Im not saying jump on the bandwagon and sue everyone, just get some backup, insurance companies are good at swindling average people.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:34 PM

I already spoke to my insurance company and they said that everything seems to have been done by the book. USAA ( My Insurance Company) has always been good to me, so I value this comment. Although there estimate of my cars value came in about $300 Bucks more than theres. Does anyone think this $300 diff can rectify the same increase in price if I decide to keep the ride?

If that’s the case, I may be on to something. Basically just making them do what they should have done in the first place…..pay for the damage one of there members caused. Even then though, my car would still be considered a Loss. How does that effect things for me?

Attorney's at this point, I'd have to say is a little extreme, and would probably only serve to smack them on the hands, while still leaving me high and Dry Money wise. Perhaps mentioning, I may persue a lawsuit might get there wheels spinning a little faster though.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

What they offer you is supposed to be enough to find another car in "like" condition. If not, then something is wrong. Find the best maximas in the same mileage/condition/year and submit them to the other insurance company.
YOUR insurance company really has no incentive to help you at all. Think about it.

If the other insurance company complains.. ask them, "Well let me know when you find a same year maxima, in the same condition with the same mileage for what you are offering and I'll buy it". Because I can't find fawking squat for what you are talking about!
Old 05-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Sports Button FTW

i was in this same situation. Some stupid b*tch hits me and my car became a total loss (95 beige GLE with 115k miles). They offered me 7,000 (this was about 2 1/2 years ago). I paid 9,300 for the car about 4 years ago. I did the research, checked lots, ads and seen dealerships selling my car with similar features for as high as 10-12k. I told them i dont trust a private party car wit that high mileage and since other person hit me, its my right to buy my car from wherever i feel fit. At the end of massive discussions and aggravations, that 7,000 turned into 10,500 .

the hard work really pays off. show proof, show the stuff u cant take out the car. They dont do much but they work as a back up plan to just help the sorry story.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:19 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by meccanoble
i was in this same situation. Some stupid b*tch hits me and my car became a total loss (95 beige GLE with 115k miles). They offered me 7,000 (this was about 2 1/2 years ago). I paid 9,300 for the car about 4 years ago. I did the research, checked lots, ads and seen dealerships selling my car with similar features for as high as 10-12k. I told them i dont trust a private party car wit that high mileage and since other person hit me, its my right to buy my car from wherever i feel fit. At the end of massive discussions and aggravations, that 7,000 turned into 10,500 .

the hard work really pays off. show proof, show the stuff u cant take out the car. They dont do much but they work as a back up plan to just help the sorry story.

wow, a 3,500 increase all by yourself. That's alot of good work!