General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Vq30dd

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004 | 04:07 PM
Bacon Lover

Vq30dd

I apologize if this has been talked about before. Anyway, I was looking around at Nissan engine lists, and remembered the direct-injection version of the VQ (specifically the VQ30DD).

Reading up on articles about cars that used it, I've so far noticed two: the Cedric and the V35 Skyline. In the Skyline, it makes 260 BHP, from the same 3.0L as the 4th gen VQ30. However, I'm not sure if the DD version has a variable intake or VVT or anything like that. Doesn't appear to, though. I'm not real savvy on exactly how direct-injection works, so if anyone wishes to enlighten me, feel free.

Anyways, my point is, if the VQ30DD can make 260 BHP, isn't that a pretty significant number to say that this same setup would yield our cars higher numbers, also? I'm not sure what all this would require, or if it would even be worth all the (probably) high amounts of trouble you'd have to go through, or if it's even possible.

I've got no clue, I only saw it and the numbers. I also have no idea how you'd go about getting parts, but it's been around for a few years in Japan, so importing them wouldn't be out of the question. It's just a little extra knowledge I found, and if all I get out of this is more knowledge (good or bad) then so be it. Anyone have any ideas or insight on this?
Old 05-18-2004 | 05:52 PM
VQ Wizard

IBTL

There are a slew of direct injection engines in Japan. THe VQ30DD probably uses the NEO VVL setup. It certainyl would be nice to bring some of that stuff over here to paly with.
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:07 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

IIRC the VQ30DD can't be used here in the United States because of the higher sulfur content of US gasoline. Its only available in Japan because they have a much stricter requirement with sulfur content in their gasoline. If my memory serves me correctly it uses fuel injectors to spray fuel right into the combustion chamber. This is a more efficent way (I think) of fuel injection, however if there are impurities in the gasoline (IE sulfur) than it clogs over time.
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:09 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
There are a slew of direct injection engines in Japan. THe VQ30DD probably uses the NEO VVL setup. It certainly would be nice to bring some of that stuff over here to play with.
Yeah, it would be nice. If I ever have the money someday I will, after other big projects. Thing is, how long has the Neo VVL been around? Apparently the VQ30DD has been used since 2000 in the Cedric...has it been around that long?

EDIT: I did some more research, and if the engine uses VVL, it's noted in the engine name. If this engine had VVL, it would be the VQ30VD (V being for VVL and D for direct-injection).

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
however if there are impurities in the gasoline (IE sulfur) than it clogs over time.
What clogs? The injectors?
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:29 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by Tatanko

What clogs? The injectors?
Im not sure, I dont remember clearly. Hence why I said IIRC.

heres a quote off of a website I found

" Nissan has unveiled the XVL concept car at the 33rd Tokyo Motor Show. The XVL concept car will spawn a production front engine/rear wheel drive sedan designed to fight the wildly popular Toyota Altezza (Japan) and the Lexus IS (Europe and soon US).

To be released in Japan first, the production XVL will be powered by an aluminum 3.0L V6 with DOHC and 24 valves (VQ30DD). The engine is closely related to the US Maxima's VQ30DE except the VQ30DD uses direct injection technology. (Direct injection as the name implies is when the fuel is injected directly into the cylinders with precise timing. Direct injection gives the control necessary to manipulate air fuel mixtures and their injection timing resulting in better gas mileage and lower emissions.) "

So its a better injection system provided the ECU has percise control over it. However I would think Nissan would of employed its use here unless something was wrong with it. Which brings me back to the sulfur content, which I cannot find the website I read that from. :
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:30 PM
VQ Wizard

EDIT: I did some more research, and if the engine uses VVL, it's noted in the engine name. If this engine had VVL, it would be the VQ30VD (V being for VVL and D for direct-injection).

Yeah I realized that right after I submitted the reply but sometimes it takes 10 minutes to edit a post on here. I got tired of waiting for the edit page to load to I gave up and left it alone.

And to my knowledge there isn't any (VD) engine at this point in time, or at least none that I have found.
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:30 PM

I remember reading in a magazine

VQ30DD
260hp@6,400rpms
260tq@4,000rpms

Vs.
VQ35DE
260hp@6,200rpms
260tq@4,400rpms.
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:37 PM
Bacon Lover

And to my knowledge there isn't any (VD) engine at this point in time, or at least none that I have found.
Nope, sadly, there isn't. There also aren't any versions of the VQ with VVL, or that might be a nice thing to bring over here, too. :\

Complete list of Nissan engines

Originally Posted by ScreamingVQ

VQ30DD
260hp@6,400rpms
260tq@4,000rpms

Vs.
VQ35DE
260hp@6,200rpms
260tq@4,400rpms.
Interesting...nearly identical numbers. Coincidence?
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:37 PM
VQ Wizard

However I would think Nissan would of employed its use here unless something was wrong with it. Which brings me back to the sulfur content, which I cannot find the website I read that from. :
Close.

I can't confirm or deny the sulfur issue but what I do know about it is that Nissan isn't stupid or brave enough to test brand new technologies in the worlds largest market. They test the new stuff at home which is a much smaller market. Once they think they have the technology and the production process perfected enough for larger mass production they will bring it over here.
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:48 PM
VQ Wizard

Nope, sadly, there isn't. There also aren't any versions of the VQ with VVL, or that might be a nice thing to bring over here, too. :\

Complete list of Nissan engines

Thanks for replying to me with a link to my website of a page that I made.

By the way, the list isn't complete.
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:54 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Close.

I can't confirm or deny the sulfur issue but what I do know about it is that Nissan isn't stupid or brave enough to test brand new technologies in the worlds largest market. They test the new stuff at home which is a much smaller market. Once they think they have the technology and the production process perfected enough for larger mass production they will bring it over here.
Well I cant confirm or deny the sulfur issue either.

But you have a good point, Just like the AWD ATTESA system. Its been on the Skylines since the early 90s. Only now its being introduced on the G35s.

But again the DD engine has been around for a few years. So I wonder if their ever gonna introduce it to the US.
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:59 PM
VQ Wizard

Actually... the first US vehicle to have the Attesa AWD system was the Infiniti QX4 IIRC. And if it wasn't that then it was the Murano, followed by the FX.
Old 05-18-2004 | 07:10 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally Posted by ScreamingVQ

VQ30DD
260hp@6,400rpms
260tq@4,000rpms

Vs.
VQ35DE
260hp@6,200rpms
260tq@4,400rpms.
May have had a typo in the rag....

I've seen specs for the VQ30DD before and the torque worked out to 243 lb-ft. It uses CVTC, 11.0:1 compression, the aforementioned direct injection, and probably a variable intake manifold as well.

A quick google search finds this.

http://www.nissan-global.com/GCC/Jap...990628_0e.html

But that's older...1999. Not sure where I found the specs with the 260hp version.

I think those figures you had 260hp/260tq might have been out of a DET version. There are very few naturally aspirated petrol engines in the world that are exceeding 80 lb-ft/liter. The current M3 is one (262/3.2= 81.8) running 11.5:1 compression and the engine tuned from the factory probably to within an inch of its life. If your specs are correct, the DD would be exceeding that. On lower compression. I sorta doubt it.
Old 05-18-2004 | 07:11 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Actually... the first US vehicle to have the Attesa AWD system was the Infiniti QX4 IIRC. And if it wasn't that then it was the Murano, followed by the FX.
Yeah the QX4 (I think) had it for a while. But the Murano AWD system is based on a FWD platform using a CVT. Did any Nissans in Japan use the Murano's FWD based AWD system with a CVT?
Old 05-18-2004 | 07:22 PM
VQ Wizard

I know the Murano is FWD based ona CVT but it does use and electro magnet to control the torque output to the rear wheels. I just confirmd it in the ESM for the 2003 Murano.
Old 05-18-2004 | 08:36 PM
I love lamp.

Im not sure, I dont remember clearly. Hence why I said IIRC.

heres a quote off of a website I found

" Nissan has unveiled the XVL concept car at the 33rd Tokyo Motor Show. The XVL concept car will spawn a production front engine/rear wheel drive sedan designed to fight the wildly popular Toyota Altezza (Japan) and the Lexus IS (Europe and soon US).

To be released in Japan first, the production XVL will be powered by an aluminum 3.0L V6 with DOHC and 24 valves (VQ30DD). The engine is closely related to the US Maxima's VQ30DE except the VQ30DD uses direct injection technology. (Direct injection as the name implies is when the fuel is injected directly into the cylinders with precise timing. Direct injection gives the control necessary to manipulate air fuel mixtures and their injection timing resulting in better gas mileage and lower emissions.) "

So its a better injection system provided the ECU has percise control over it. However I would think Nissan would of employed its use here unless something was wrong with it. Which brings me back to the sulfur content, which I cannot find the website I read that from. :
You sure your no confusing the high sulfur content with US Diesel fuel? I know for sure that US Diesel has quite a bit higher sulfer content then Japan or Europe. High sulfer content in gasoline sounds rather odd to me....but I could be wrong.

S
Old 05-18-2004 | 08:44 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I remember reading abou the DD a few years ago. It was stated that it was 220hp and was available in Japan and in some middle east countries.
Old 05-18-2004 | 11:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Close.

Direct Injection is more fuel efficient and the 11.0:1 compression is probably is what prevents it from coming to the US... that and the fact that the US just like more diplacement for the most part

currently, I know the Isuzu Axiom uses DI along with a few other cars in the US, I dont think the sulfur content makes that much of a difference

The Audi R8 Lemans car was credited its success because the DI system saved 8% consumption of gas and made more power efficiently

DI in diesels is what is going to make them legal for passenger vehicles in CA this year, I think Mercedes and VW are bringing over DI diesels, the E320 CDI and the VW 2.0 TDI

the modern diesels like the duramax (isuzu/GM) use DI tech too
Old 05-19-2004 | 02:20 AM
Bacon Lover

Thanks for replying to me with a link to my website of a page that I made.

By the way, the list isn't complete.
Hahaha...sorry man, didn't realize. Good site, btw